Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill size / Plug size / Screw size mapping

Options
  • 19-07-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

DIY Noob here

Have a bosch drill with various heads but having trouble with wall plugs and screws fitting.
    Is there a mapping table of what size drill bit i should be using for a certain wall plug size ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

carq wrote: »
    DIY Noob here

Have a bosch drill with various heads but having trouble with wall plugs and screws fitting.
    Is there a mapping table of what size drill bit i should be using for a certain wall plug size ?

It is usually written on the tab of the rawl plug.

plug-sizes.jpg

Also, as you are a noob :pac:. Make sure that if you are actually mounting something to a plasterboard wall that you use appropriate platerboard fittings and not rawl plugs.

One example

41aD746IYiL._SX425_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Thanks - that is what i was looking for.

Regarding plaster board - should i be using a screw like you posted rather than a regular screw ?

Edit or is that 2 things stuck together !?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭cletus

Just on the basis of experience, I would steer clear of the plasterboard fixings above, especially if it's going to carry any sort of weight whatsoever

s-l300.jpg

There are better fixings, this one here being an example

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The fitting cletus suggested is a good one also and they are correct in terms of weight.
    I have been using the other ones for years (having bought a bag of them) and have had no issue with your typical coat hooks, pictures, towel rails etc.

Either fitting will come with the correct screw to use.

Ask the attendant in the shop for guidance on fitting. The one I suggested creates its own hole, the one cletus advise requires a hole to be drilled.

Advertisement