Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phoenix Point - New X-Com Sucessor

• 26-04-2017 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Came across this video its about a game called Phoniex point which is being developed by the original X-Com designer, looks very impressive from the video and also some interesting new mechanics, aliens that evolve, boss aliens, factions (these were in apocalyse)

They are having a kickstarter type thing, havn't heard of fig before mind, which I think only started few days ago and they are already half way. I'm a bit wary of kickstarters in general but they seem to already have a fair bit done and they have previously published a game, which you seem to get the key for also, so think be worth a punt.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point

Here is the official trailer also

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

seen that last night, Gollop has a grand plan for it, hope it does well in it's kickstarter

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm done with crowdfunding games, just a personal choice (I don't pre-order things anymore either), but I'm keeping an eye on it cause it looks pretty damned sweet. Lots of interesting ideas already shown in that trailer that could make it a real winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, I have the same policy re: pre-orders and crowdfunding. But it's on my radar for sure.

They reached their target anyway, and have announced a couple of stretch goals.

Interview with Gollop on RPG Codex (never heard of the place myself). Anyway, some highlights from the chat;
    • fully destructible terrain (apart from the ground)
    • "significant amounts" of procedural generation in both the battle maps and the strategic map
    • squad sizes of up to 16
    • more than one possible ending
    • branching narratives = the story may change between playthroughs.

• Advertisement

The campaign for this ended yesterday, with them reaching 53% more money than targeted. I think you can still buy in as a "slacker backer", but the game is pretty much funded now. Any new pledges will go towards stretch goals.

Anyway, watch this space. Due in late 2018.

seems to be coming along nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

This weekend, Julian is presenting Phoenix Point at EGX.

For the event, we have a special promotion:

Pre-order any package with a 20% discount
    Offer starts from 8am BST on Friday 22nd
    Offer ends midnight BST on Monday 25th
    Visit our store and use promo code EGX20

You can watch Julian's presentation live from EGX on Friday 22nd at 2pm BST (6am PT / 9am EST) over on the EGX Twitch channel.

Been a while since this was updated, but it looks like things are progressing nicely. The beta is out for anyone who backed it on KS - here's some early thoughts on Polygon, especially focusing on ballistics. Sounds good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Some gameplay from Many a True Nerd:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Pushed back until June '19, alas.

Backer Build 2 is out tomorrow. The Armadillo (vehicle) and the technician (new class) are the big additions. Read more here.

APC+Move+Gif.gif?format=2500w

"5 Phoenix Point Features NOT in XCOM"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I love all of that, especially the aiming and limb targetting system. It's idiotic missing a point blank shots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Love the inventory system, old XCOM had that (thinking specifically of TFTD) and it was a great feature, not sure why new XCOM did away with it to be honest.

The APC though! Looks great and a welcome addition. My only concern would be if the vehicles turn out to be more problematic than useful, the example I'd use for this would be fallout tactics, the vehicles in that game must have seemed a great idea on paper but in the game itself they were an absolute disaster :(

From the clips though it looks well implemented anyway, I haven't played the backers version

This is now an exclusive for the Epic Store (for a year anyway).

Ah for **** sake. Don't like how Epic are going about this exclusive ****e, so no way i'm buying this now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Kiith wrote: »
    Ah for **** sake. Don't like how Epic are going about this exclusive ****e, so no way i'm buying this now.

Aye. I'm a bit dismayed as well. It's just the same anti-consumer BS that console-makers and crappy game shops pursue.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Will be interesting to see how many will avail of the refund being offered. Here's the actual video;

• Advertisement

Yeah, can't stand how they are using the Fortnite money to make their own console environment on the pc. Exclusivity is bad, regardless of what platform you use. It's such a shame as well, as the game looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Exclusives are fine when the platform holder helps fund/develop the game. Its their game and i think its fair enough if they want to keep it exclusive. Sony do a very good job of this.

Bit like fortnite being on the epic store only

Its the third party exclusives that are just straight cash grabs that annoy me. Considering this was crowd funded id say it might annoy people even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

EoinHef wrote: »
    Considering this was crowd funded id say it might annoy people even more.

Yeah I never pulled the trigger on it myself but wouldn't be too happy if I had,i think a lot won't be happy.
    It was funded through fig.co, which isn't quite as open ended as kickstarter either, I thought there would have been more conditions

Also mention of getting free access to all dlc, implies they plan releasing a fair bit to try make more money, I kinda hoped for better.

I'm genuinely curious as to why people seem to think that it's ok to force everyone to use Steam. You're not being charged for the Epic launcher, it's got a small footprint, they give developers a better deal than Steam does.

Yea, Steam's been around the longest, but if the last few years have proven anything it's that Valve are as bad as the likes of EA and Activision of for being hungry capitalist cnuts wanting all of the money. Companies have no compulsion to simply hand their competition 30%+ of all their revenue because their competition was first to market with a digital shopfront. There are any number of things you can, for example, only get in Tesco that you can't get in Dunnes, or that are only in Amazon and not on Kobu.

Who said anyone should be forced to use Steam?

The hundreds, maybe thousands of people across the tubes who lost their minds (plenty of them here on Boards) when EA announced Origin and stopped selling their titles on Steam. Same again now when Epic started buying exclusivity deals for their launcher and developers were thinking "that's less money we have to give away for being hosted on a store-front that's already reaching untold millions of people thanks to Fortnight and that has curation, no games about rape and no Unity asset flips" :)

Shiminay wrote: »
    The hundreds, maybe thousands of people across the tubes who lost their minds (plenty of them here on Boards) when EA announced Origin and stopped selling their titles on Steam. Same again now when Epic started buying exclusivity deals for their launcher and developers were thinking "that's less money we have to give away for being hosted on a store-front that's already reaching untold millions of people thanks to Fortnight and that has curation, no games about rape and no Unity asset flips" :)

I don't see why anyone would lose their minds. It makes no sense. A Steam monopoly benefits nobody.

However, did they really have to confine themselves to just the EGS? Surely Origin or GOG would have been ok as well?

Steam doesn't require exclusivity on their platform. Origin only does it with first party EA games (afaik). UPlay did (does? not sure), but that's always kind of sucked. Epic just buys up games near completion and forces exclusivity on them. Which in this case is even worse, after one of the selling points of their kickstarter campaign was it being released on Steam or another platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm genuinely curious as to why people seem to think that it's ok to force everyone to use Steam. You're not being charged for the Epic launcher, it's got a small footprint, they give developers a better deal than Steam does.
    From their original campaign on fig they said it was to be available through Steam and Gog, so it a big enough turnaround to now just go with Epic

• Advertisement

I mean, I completely understand and support people being pissed off about a money driven decision like this so late in the day, so I'm not suggesting that people are out of order in being annoyed to have the choices they were sold taken away from them.

I didn't back the game, but what I've seen of it looks like it's going to deliver what they said it would, so I'll probably pick it up after it's released and it should tide things over till we get a new X-Com :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

that was a really scummy move they made, if i was a backer i would be fuming.

The problem with digital stores is the launchers. Just let us launch games directly without having to go through an ad laden launcher then it doesn't matter where you buy the game, no different to buying discs from different stores.

Microsoft are the only ones doing this (edit: and Gog). Just a pity the store is barren.

Fwiw, I absolutely hate the steam UI, it is an unintuitive mess designed for 800p resolution. Personally I'm glad there is decent competition now.

The problem with digital stores is the launchers. Let us launch games directly without having to go through an ad laden launcher.

Microsoft are the only ones doing this. Just a pity the store is barren.

GOG does this as well, no? I know they're DRM-free so that might be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You're not being charged for the Epic launcher, it's got a small footprint, they give developers a better deal than Steam does.

There's a debate about it in the Outer Worlds thread as well, and I have to say I don't get the outrage. One guy said he was going to pirate that game and Phoenix Point so to 'not reward' their behavior. :confused:

Comparing it to console exclusivity wars is ridiculous. Buying another console to avail of a game not available on your primary platform costs 2-300 euro.

Installing Epic Launcher takes 60 seconds of your life. Not sure why it's alright to have Steam/Origin/Battlenet/GOG/Uplay/etc but Epic Launcher is the devil.

So what if a game is exclusive? Epic are giving developers/publishers a way better deal than the likes of Steam....we should be celebrating this as it means better conditions for the industry, but also the consumer should see some better prices as a result.

Personally I will be buying both games on Epic, I don't care what launcher is used as long as I get to play the bloody games.

The only downside I've been able to think of is the separation of friends lists and related matchmaking/multi-player which we're already seen when there are versions of a game on Steam vs Windows Store. Means that instead of relying on the "convenience" (and possibly non-trivial cost-saving) of tapping into Valve's infrastructure, companies will have to make their own dedicated infrastructure per game to maintain "launcher" independence.

Now, if we take an interesting example in how to mitigate this somewhat, Apex Legends simply lets you import your Steam Friends as well as the native support for your Origin list being served via Origin, to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There's a debate about it in the Outer Worlds thread as well, and I have to say I don't get the outrage. One guy said he was going to pirate that game and Phoenix Point so to 'not reward' their behavior. :confused:

Comparing it to console exclusivity wars is ridiculous. Buying another console to avail of a game not available on your primary platform costs 2-300 euro.

Installing Epic Launcher takes 60 seconds of your life. Not sure why it's alright to have Steam/Origin/Battlenet/GOG/Uplay/etc but Epic Launcher is the devil.

So what if a game is exclusive? Epic are giving developers/publishers a way better deal than the likes of Steam....we should be celebrating this as it means better conditions for the industry, but also the consumer should see some better prices as a result.

Personally I will be buying both games on Epic, I don't care what launcher is used as long as I get to play the bloody games.

Keep seeing this,"its just another launcher argument". If you take the time to read why most people dont like whats happening you will find the main problem is not just another icon on the desktop.

A lot of people like the features steam and others offer,epic does not offer these features. Others dislike the fact that you have a company forcing their launcher on people when it lacks features that the others have just for their own gain. Lack of choice does not benefit the consumer.

Also UPlay and Origin are owned by companies that produce their own games,keeping first party games exclusive is fine with me,its the buying of third party games just to eliminate competition thats not good.

From where are you drawing your better prices argument? Can you show me one time we got a discount for using epics launcher? Id wager my house you cant.

Suppose it boils down to how much,if at all,these practices annoy an individual. We all have the choice to buy from there or not. But its far from people getting annoyed over just another launcher from what i see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Hey there, it's me "one guy".

You do you, man.

Can we get a thread going just for Epic Store discussion? Having every thread for each of their exclusives derailed by the same conversation is getting tedious.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apparently this is going straight into Game Pass when it launhes in september: https://www.pcgamer.com/phoenix-point-nails-down-september-release-date-will-be-on-xbox-game-pass-for-pc/

Epic store exclusive no more unless the headline is misleading?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Apparently this is going straight into Game Pass when it launhes in september: https://www.pcgamer.com/phoenix-point-nails-down-september-release-date-will-be-on-xbox-game-pass-for-pc/

Epic store exclusive no more unless the headline is misleading?
    Ha you gotta love it. The two most hated stores in the gaming community :)

Delighted this is coming to game pass but I wish game pass games would do cross save so you can mix and match PC\Xbox play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I was looking forward to this game until I heard it was an epic store exclusive.
    Epic are buying exclusivity for crowdfunded games just before release and developers are taking the money and screwing over the backers by taking away there choice and not offering refunds to the people who made the game possible.

It's also on the XBox Game pass for PC if you have that.

de5p0i1er wrote: »
    I was looking forward to this game until I heard it was an epic store exclusive.
    Epic are buying exclusivity for crowdfunded games just before release and developers are taking the money and screwing over the backers by taking away there choice and not offering refunds to the people who made the game possible.
    It's a shop, that's all. They haven't shafted anyone or changed the game in anyway that should change your opinion on it.

Exclusivity forces you to buy it from the Epic store and this whole social media outrage lark just proves the point that exclusivity is necessary if anyone is to build a viable business competing with steam.

Don't buy the game if it bothers you that much but don't be fooled for a second that others online who appear to be equally outraged are simply posting guff online and actually buying the game from Epic anyway. It's cool to hate the Epic store after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Epic is terrible though. I downloaded their launcher to give Fortnite a try. Didn't actually play it in the end. Since then, I constantly get emails telling me people are trying to access my account. I changed my password and it continued. I got about two dozen in the course of two weeks. I've received at least fifty to date. I tried to close my account but got sent to this circular process that wouldn't actually let me close it. I emailed them and asked for my account to be closed and my info scrubbed. I still get emails about access attempts on my account. I deliberately don't purchase games on Epic. I missed out on Metro for this reason and I will miss out on Outer Worlds. If I had paid for something that was supposed to be on Steam and then was switched to Epic I would be extremely pissed off.

MrFresh wrote: »
    Epic is terrible though. I downloaded their launcher to give Fortnite a try. Didn't actually play it in the end. Since then, I constantly get emails telling me people are trying to access my account. I changed my password and it continued. I got about two dozen in the course of two weeks. I've received at least fifty to date. I tried to close my account but got sent to this circular process that wouldn't actually let me close it. I emailed them and asked for my account to be closed and my info scrubbed. I still get emails about access attempts on my account. I deliberately don't purchase games on Epic. I missed out on Metro for this reason and I will miss out on Outer Worlds. If I had paid for something that was supposed to be on Steam and then was switched to Epic I would be extremely pissed off.
    Haven't had that problem and I'd say your problem is quite unique.

Both games are/will be available on Game Pass and in MS store. But I'm guessing you don't like that either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Both games are/will be available on Game Pass and in MS store. But I'm guessing you don't like that either...

Haven't used it in a while. Use to have terrible DRM. Seems to have a good selection now on the pass though.

On the contrary. It's a situation that rather a lot of people have experienced, if anecdotal evidence is anything to go by.

Yea, Epic seems to be having a major issue with intrusion attempts on people's accounts. I have 2FA enabled on my account for these reasons.

I won't be getting Phoenix Point on Epic cause it seems like the sorta game that'll do well with mods (and the dev's say they're building with modding in mind) and I don't see any equivalent of Steam Workshop making an appearance on the platform any time soon given how bereft of features it is. So it'll probably be Nexus Mods which is a great site and service, but not as convenient as Workshop.

This is releasing tomorrow at 7pm, it's looking great from the backerbuild videos all over youtube too

Anyone else buying it?

I backed it during the crowd-funding phase, but my laptop wasn't up to running it. I'm looking forward to it though, whenever I get an upgrade.

Incidentally, I have a code for $10 off the season pass for anyone who wants it (I already get the pass as an early backer).

• Advertisement
Advertisement