Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Point - New X-Com Sucessor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

that was a really scummy move they made, if i was a backer i would be fuming.

The problem with digital stores is the launchers. Just let us launch games directly without having to go through an ad laden launcher then it doesn't matter where you buy the game, no different to buying discs from different stores.

Microsoft are the only ones doing this (edit: and Gog). Just a pity the store is barren.

Fwiw, I absolutely hate the steam UI, it is an unintuitive mess designed for 800p resolution. Personally I'm glad there is decent competition now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The problem with digital stores is the launchers. Let us launch games directly without having to go through an ad laden launcher.

Microsoft are the only ones doing this. Just a pity the store is barren.

GOG does this as well, no? I know they're DRM-free so that might be different.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Shiminay wrote: »
    You're not being charged for the Epic launcher, it's got a small footprint, they give developers a better deal than Steam does.

There's a debate about it in the Outer Worlds thread as well, and I have to say I don't get the outrage. One guy said he was going to pirate that game and Phoenix Point so to 'not reward' their behavior. :confused:

Comparing it to console exclusivity wars is ridiculous. Buying another console to avail of a game not available on your primary platform costs 2-300 euro.

Installing Epic Launcher takes 60 seconds of your life. Not sure why it's alright to have Steam/Origin/Battlenet/GOG/Uplay/etc but Epic Launcher is the devil.

So what if a game is exclusive? Epic are giving developers/publishers a way better deal than the likes of Steam....we should be celebrating this as it means better conditions for the industry, but also the consumer should see some better prices as a result.

Personally I will be buying both games on Epic, I don't care what launcher is used as long as I get to play the bloody games.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The only downside I've been able to think of is the separation of friends lists and related matchmaking/multi-player which we're already seen when there are versions of a game on Steam vs Windows Store. Means that instead of relying on the "convenience" (and possibly non-trivial cost-saving) of tapping into Valve's infrastructure, companies will have to make their own dedicated infrastructure per game to maintain "launcher" independence.

Now, if we take an interesting example in how to mitigate this somewhat, Apex Legends simply lets you import your Steam Friends as well as the native support for your Origin list being served via Origin, to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There's a debate about it in the Outer Worlds thread as well, and I have to say I don't get the outrage. One guy said he was going to pirate that game and Phoenix Point so to 'not reward' their behavior. :confused:

Comparing it to console exclusivity wars is ridiculous. Buying another console to avail of a game not available on your primary platform costs 2-300 euro.

Installing Epic Launcher takes 60 seconds of your life. Not sure why it's alright to have Steam/Origin/Battlenet/GOG/Uplay/etc but Epic Launcher is the devil.

So what if a game is exclusive? Epic are giving developers/publishers a way better deal than the likes of Steam....we should be celebrating this as it means better conditions for the industry, but also the consumer should see some better prices as a result.

Personally I will be buying both games on Epic, I don't care what launcher is used as long as I get to play the bloody games.

Keep seeing this,"its just another launcher argument". If you take the time to read why most people dont like whats happening you will find the main problem is not just another icon on the desktop.

A lot of people like the features steam and others offer,epic does not offer these features. Others dislike the fact that you have a company forcing their launcher on people when it lacks features that the others have just for their own gain. Lack of choice does not benefit the consumer.

Also UPlay and Origin are owned by companies that produce their own games,keeping first party games exclusive is fine with me,its the buying of third party games just to eliminate competition thats not good.

From where are you drawing your better prices argument? Can you show me one time we got a discount for using epics launcher? Id wager my house you cant.

Suppose it boils down to how much,if at all,these practices annoy an individual. We all have the choice to buy from there or not. But its far from people getting annoyed over just another launcher from what i see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Hey there, it's me "one guy".

You do you, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Can we get a thread going just for Epic Store discussion? Having every thread for each of their exclusives derailed by the same conversation is getting tedious.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apparently this is going straight into Game Pass when it launhes in september: https://www.pcgamer.com/phoenix-point-nails-down-september-release-date-will-be-on-xbox-game-pass-for-pc/

Epic store exclusive no more unless the headline is misleading?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Apparently this is going straight into Game Pass when it launhes in september: https://www.pcgamer.com/phoenix-point-nails-down-september-release-date-will-be-on-xbox-game-pass-for-pc/

Epic store exclusive no more unless the headline is misleading?
    Ha you gotta love it. The two most hated stores in the gaming community :)

Delighted this is coming to game pass but I wish game pass games would do cross save so you can mix and match PC\Xbox play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I was looking forward to this game until I heard it was an epic store exclusive.
    Epic are buying exclusivity for crowdfunded games just before release and developers are taking the money and screwing over the backers by taking away there choice and not offering refunds to the people who made the game possible.

It's also on the XBox Game pass for PC if you have that.

de5p0i1er wrote: »
    I was looking forward to this game until I heard it was an epic store exclusive.
    Epic are buying exclusivity for crowdfunded games just before release and developers are taking the money and screwing over the backers by taking away there choice and not offering refunds to the people who made the game possible.
    It's a shop, that's all. They haven't shafted anyone or changed the game in anyway that should change your opinion on it.

Exclusivity forces you to buy it from the Epic store and this whole social media outrage lark just proves the point that exclusivity is necessary if anyone is to build a viable business competing with steam.

Don't buy the game if it bothers you that much but don't be fooled for a second that others online who appear to be equally outraged are simply posting guff online and actually buying the game from Epic anyway. It's cool to hate the Epic store after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Epic is terrible though. I downloaded their launcher to give Fortnite a try. Didn't actually play it in the end. Since then, I constantly get emails telling me people are trying to access my account. I changed my password and it continued. I got about two dozen in the course of two weeks. I've received at least fifty to date. I tried to close my account but got sent to this circular process that wouldn't actually let me close it. I emailed them and asked for my account to be closed and my info scrubbed. I still get emails about access attempts on my account. I deliberately don't purchase games on Epic. I missed out on Metro for this reason and I will miss out on Outer Worlds. If I had paid for something that was supposed to be on Steam and then was switched to Epic I would be extremely pissed off.

MrFresh wrote: »
    Epic is terrible though. I downloaded their launcher to give Fortnite a try. Didn't actually play it in the end. Since then, I constantly get emails telling me people are trying to access my account. I changed my password and it continued. I got about two dozen in the course of two weeks. I've received at least fifty to date. I tried to close my account but got sent to this circular process that wouldn't actually let me close it. I emailed them and asked for my account to be closed and my info scrubbed. I still get emails about access attempts on my account. I deliberately don't purchase games on Epic. I missed out on Metro for this reason and I will miss out on Outer Worlds. If I had paid for something that was supposed to be on Steam and then was switched to Epic I would be extremely pissed off.
    Haven't had that problem and I'd say your problem is quite unique.

Both games are/will be available on Game Pass and in MS store. But I'm guessing you don't like that either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Both games are/will be available on Game Pass and in MS store. But I'm guessing you don't like that either...

Haven't used it in a while. Use to have terrible DRM. Seems to have a good selection now on the pass though.

On the contrary. It's a situation that rather a lot of people have experienced, if anecdotal evidence is anything to go by.

Yea, Epic seems to be having a major issue with intrusion attempts on people's accounts. I have 2FA enabled on my account for these reasons.

I won't be getting Phoenix Point on Epic cause it seems like the sorta game that'll do well with mods (and the dev's say they're building with modding in mind) and I don't see any equivalent of Steam Workshop making an appearance on the platform any time soon given how bereft of features it is. So it'll probably be Nexus Mods which is a great site and service, but not as convenient as Workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

This is releasing tomorrow at 7pm, it's looking great from the backerbuild videos all over youtube too

Anyone else buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I backed it during the crowd-funding phase, but my laptop wasn't up to running it. I'm looking forward to it though, whenever I get an upgrade.

Incidentally, I have a code for $10 off the season pass for anyone who wants it (I already get the pass as an early backer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I backed it during the crowd-funding phase, but my laptop wasn't up to running it. I'm looking forward to it though, whenever I get an upgrade.

Incidentally, I have a code for $10 off the season pass for anyone who wants it (I already get the pass as an early backer).

if ye still have it after i've given the game a good seeing to, i may take ye up on that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

Anyone else buying it?

I'm a big X-Com fan from the very first one, and I mean 1994!

I told myself I would wait for the Steam version of this, but couldn't bear waiting for a year so I pre-ordered the other day.

Waiting until 19:00 now, the clock is ticking......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm following it with interest. X-COM is definitely one of my favourite ever games, so this looks right up my alley.

My gaming laptop is getting a bit long in the tooth though, and I see this is slated for a PS4 release in 2020, so might hold fire for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is releasing tomorrow at 7pm, it's looking great from the backerbuild videos all over youtube too

Anyone else buying it?

I'm holding off for now for simple reason I've a back log of games to get through first. But I will probably buy it sooner or later.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Assuming it's still coming to game pass I might give it a look. Reach out this evening too.

Too many games not enough time.

Watched a stream of it last night, it's got a lot of little differences to separate it from XCom and make for a very interesting game as a result. If it's coming to Game Pass, I might wait. I've quite the backlog like everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is it available for game pass? PC or Xbox? Would be fierce handy for me.

Won't be out for that till 2020 by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Shiminay wrote: »
    Won't be out for that till 2020 by the looks of things.

What gives you that impression as reviews starting to come out for it?

• Advertisement

Ah sorry, I meant on the Game Pass whatsit. It's out today on PC I believe.

Advertisement