Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GOG Galaxy

• 05-06-2014 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Good Old Games are going to release their own game library client, called Galaxy, which they describe as a "Truly gamer-friendly, DRM-free, online gaming platform."

This is very exciting news, especially for those becoming increasingly disillusioned with Steam. The big question is how many publishers will be willing to release games DRM free on the service.

From PC Gamer;
    According to GOG.com, the service will auto-update games in your GOG.com library, though the company stresses that you'll still be able to manually download and apply patches if you prefer. Multiplayer games with a single-player component will be available for play offline, and Galaxy will also enable cross-play between services such as Steam, the developer said.

Wow. Cross-play between Galaxy and other services? This sounds gooood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Any word on a release date yet? Looks like this could be the big step GOG needs to take to reach a wider market. I know a load of people that will buy a game on steam over GOG just to have it in their library. Hopefully something like this will entice them to start using GOG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Any word on a release date yet? Looks like this could be the big step GOG needs to take to reach a wider market. I know a load of people that will buy a game on steam over GOG just to have it in their library. Hopefully something like this will entice them to start using GOG.

No word of a release date - the website just says "More news in 2014". I assume/hope there'll be a beta of some kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Always wondered whats the point of DRM free games?

I bought 2 from a website that shutdown and now I dont have them anymore(pc formatted many many times). Always wondered what the big fuss was about DRM free games. I dont like steam because of its prices but I like it because it keeps my games safe and warm.

If i buy a disk i keep it in case, if i buy a digital game i expect to be able to to play/download whenever I want and as many times as I want. Shouldnt be up to me to keep the download file for a digital game I purchased.

Never really got the point of DRM free games really. Pirate bay has loads of them if I wanted them that way but I prefer to own a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Read this earlier and looking forward to it. I've never been fond of steam's DRM but you can not deny the simplicity it offers when you can just add a friend into a game with a quick invite.

On the flip side, you have some games with gog which are broken in the multiplayer component and you have a lot of people just saying the 'one click' install of software through the steam interface makes it so attractive over gog.

Actually the bulk of games of games I've been playing these past few years have been indie or smaller dev companies... at least all the good ones are. A few wouldn't be DRM free, but hopefully something like this will make it more attractive for devs. Especially since devs sometimes have issues with how games are patched on gog - and sometimes neglect gog versions as a result. Hopefully this wouldn't mean games are more left out in the cold in terms of patching but provides an easier system.

If they did a good enough job of it and gog attract more titles, I could foreseeably live without steam, aside from say, booting up L4D3.

Edit: @dreamer
    The point is that steam/origin/uplay control the games. You are buying a subscription to the game and if they decide tomorrow that you can't play them, then they're gone. They can ban you, they can charge you for accessing the games, they can demand that your always connected, they can force their patches when you just want to boot up and have a single player game and if you don't like their software then tough luck. Steam fell very short up until recently and I had major gripes which they actually improved upon - you can now install to various drives and directories, you can now limit the net speed (so you're not hogging all the internet with just that).

It's unfortunate that the website that you bought from shut down. However, if Valve shut down, you'd have no games. If you kept your DRM free games, they'd still work. The difference is that the websites you bought from were probably very small enterprises while Valve is quite a powerful company - so it's likely enough that it'll stay around for a while. But we know how quickly powerful companies can fall - look at our banks - and the technology world is one of the most dynamic markets!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's a good move for GoG and they're obviously making the most of an opportunity to capitalise on that growing lack of enthusiasm for Steam.

Tell you what'd be a real knock-out blow to Steam would be GoG merging with Humble Bundle. Both already offer indies up as a sales platform and the folding of GoG's back catalog into the Humble's store would make it a serious player.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »

Edit: @dreamer
    The point is that steam/origin/uplay control the games. You are buying a subscription to the game and if they decide tomorrow that you can't play them, then they're gone. They can ban you, they can charge you for accessing the games, they can demand that your always connected, they can force their patches when you just want to boot up and have a single player game and if you don't like their software then tough luck. Steam fell very short up until recently and I had major gripes which they actually improved upon - you can now install to various drives and directories, you can now limit the net speed (so you're not hogging all the internet with just that).

It's unfortunate that the website that you bought from shut down. However, if Valve shut down, you'd have no games. If you kept your DRM free games, they'd still work. The difference is that the websites you bought from were probably very small enterprises while Valve is quite a powerful company - so it's likely enough that it'll stay around for a while. But we know how quickly powerful companies can fall - look at our banks - and the technology world is one of the most dynamic markets!

But I can play my Steam games without even opening Steam. I can click the exe and the game will load. Again its up to me to keep the digital file in the case i get banned etc:

Not an option with origin, it doesnt work.

DRM to me is stupid fcuking Securom which came with disc based games and made it hard for me to play the game, theres a nasty one where you have to validate your activation which annoyed me a lot.

Suppose the obvious question is if GOG shutdown how would you access your DRM free games? Do people actually save the digital download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Steam had said since the beginning [if the whole thing flopped] that any purchased licenses that they had access to (their own and agreed third parties) would be released to the account holder. So you would have your CD key for all or most of the games you bought on Steam, and could use an alternative installer to recover them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

dreamers75 wrote: »
    But I can play my Steam games without even opening Steam. I can click the exe and the game will load. Again its up to me to keep the digital file in the case i get banned etc:

Only works with some games. Most will try to launch steam.
    Suppose the obvious question is if GOG shutdown how would you access your DRM free games? Do people actually save the digital download?

Yes, you could save the install and it should work away. Moving an install could break it. Say even if your steam game worked without steam, if you moved it, it mightn't work afterwards. Depends on the game again though.

Overheal wrote: »
    Steam had said since the beginning [if the whole thing flopped] that any purchased licenses that they had access to (their own and agreed third parties) would be released to the account holder. So you would have your CD key for all or most of the games you bought on Steam, and could use an alternative installer to recover them.

No, I think what you are referring to was a question someone posted way early on... I think it was on their message boards or somewhere, I can't remember exactly. It was was an off-the-cuff comment, not a solid statement. It is not in their terms and they actually removed where they had said it.
    They said it near the beginning - most certainly not since the beginning. They're much more careful now about what they say and have promised nothing.

So think about it seriously - a company like steam runs out of business and there's loads of games by different companies - do you really think that they're going to fold up and say, "So long, it's been nice. Have all the games DRM free"? Doubtful.
    By themselves most of the keys would be useless otherwise, because the companies would have to redesign all their installers.
    What's more likely is that they'll be bought out and the new masters can change the terms to be worse (or better).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm not particularly worried about Steam going belly up. I'm sure some enterprising coder would solve the issue for everyone and I'd love to see a publisher try to take someone to a European court over removing said DRM from a game they've paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

GOG Galaxy going 2.0 with other client platform integration

https://www.gogalaxy.com/en/

• Advertisement

Not a bad idea tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Cautiously optimistic. If they can make it work, great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I've already been using Lutris for this kind of thing but its been failing me recently for wine installs (emulators are fine) but I don't have high hopes for Galaxy, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

More details from DSOG;
    Your Games.
    • Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection. Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.
    • Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned.
    • Customize your library by filtering, sorting, tagging, and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds or covers.
    • Follow upcoming releases and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.

Your Friends.
    • Bring together your friends from all platforms and see their online status.
    • No matter on which platform your friends are, you can chat with them.
    • See your friends’ cross-platform achievements, game time milestones and recently played games.
    • See who’s the master collector, completionist or spends the most time playing.

Your Privacy.
    • Your personal data will never be shared with third parties.
    • We’re not spying on data from your computer.
    • With a single click, you can remove imported games and friends data from our servers.

Your GOG Client.
    • The best way to run and update your GOG games.
    • Use features like cloud saving, in-game overlay, multiplayer & matchmaking, rollbacks and more.
    • The client is not required to play your DRM-free GOG games.

More.
    • Connect more platforms and add new features with open-source integrations.
    • All customizations and changes to your library are saved in the cloud and synced between all your devices.
    • Save any view like a customized library or favorite games and friends to access them instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sounds useful. I'm starting to think it's the close-source, windows-only version of the linux-only lutris. Here's a fullscreen screenshot of what it looks like. Handles all kinds of emulators and platforms. GOG''s social features are what might actually make it catch on, though. People usually dislike multiple platforms because it divides up gaming communities.

Anyone invited to the beta? starts today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone invited to the beta? starts today.

Apparently it's first come first served, but I'm finding that hard to believe.

Received an invite today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

me too

I have all my accounts attached and I can now filter by genre which always annoyed me that you can't with Steam (without hassle)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Installed it today too. It seems nice enough, faster than Playnite when I tried that.

One bug I noticed with Steam integration, I have games installed on both an SSD and HDD and it's only recognising the installs on the SSD.

Look forward to see how it develops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

GOG Galaxy 2.0 Update 5 just launched, and it is shaping up nicely to be the all-in-one launcher we need.
    https://www.gog.com/galaxy

This update adds the ability to use CMD parameters and add additional executables for games (e.g. map editors, default executables).
    Custom title sorting is a nice addition, as well as displaying games from subscription services.

There are also lots of options available with community plugins like, Emulator support, mmorpgs
    https://github.com/Mixaill/awesome-gog-galaxy

Advertisement