Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He was ok against Liverpool when Flamnego retreated quite deep but he was strong up against Salah a few times.

But in the Semi against Al Hilal he was awful.

Caught for pace a number of times very slow to turn. I can't see him being good enough on that showing.
    He looks like a bit of a punt not even played in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I'm guessing none of us have seen this guy play, wondering what type of center back he is?

Hope he isn't another cygan/squallaci.

According to South American football 'expert' Tim Vickery:

“I’ve been droning on about him to anyone who will listen for the past few months, because I think Manchester City missed a beat with this one.

Pablo Mari, 26-year-old, big, left-footed Spanish centre-back who City had for three years. They loaned him to Girona, Breda in Holland and Deportivo La Coruna in the Spanish second division, and then, with new European coach Portuguese Jorge Jesus wanting to play with a high line, they sold him to Flamengo.

No one in Brazil plays with a high line – it just doesn’t happen – so he needed a centre-back who could do it for him and they brought in Mari. He was unknown, he came in very cold and was thrown in at the deep end, but he sorted it out for them absolutely magnificently.

For me, in that Flamingo side that coasted its way to the Brazilian championship, won the South American title and gave Liverpool a game in the Club World Cup final, I think he was the most important player.

He’s by no way the most glamorous, but that front four with all the goals being scored by Gabriel Barbosa and Bruno Henrique, it wouldn’t have worked had the team not been able to defend with a high line – and Pablo Mari was the man behind all of that, he was superb.

Now, this is the chance of a lifetime for him at Arsenal. He won’t have the same advantage that he had in Brazil where he was the only centre-back who knew who the play a high line and he organised that and passed out of defence very well. He hasn’t got express pace, but his positioning is good enough to get him out of jail.”

Hopefully he can do a job, probably worth the extra haggling to get the option rather than obligation to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

He's 6'4" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Word going around too that it was Arteta put a stop to the Kurzawa deal even when Edu was pushing hard for it. Good to see from Arteta, bad to see from Edu...

Looks handy enough, I just hope he doesn't eat Torreira by mistake

Looks handy enough, I just hope he doesn't eat Torreira by mistake

Fixed link

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Looks like a bit like a bigger slower version of Mertesacker. ;)

thelawman wrote: »

Hope he doesn't look slower than him, he's not remotely near the height of him.

He's the same height as VVD, so it can't be any excuse for looking like a lumbering oaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

thelawman wrote: »

He’s not that slow in the video. Slow to turn maybe because of his size. Looks commanding which is what we need.
    Also read that he suits a team that doesn’t play a high line which I think is how we should play.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

CatInABox wrote: »

Glad we managed to get this sorted as it’s going to be a challenging few months juggling the league with Europa and fa cups. Hope Mari works out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He’s not that slow in the video. Slow to turn maybe because of his size. Looks commanding which is what we need.
    Also read that he suits a team that doesn’t play a high line which I think is how we should play.

A few posts previous states the exact opposite. He was brought Brazil because he does play a high line.

Quazzie wrote: »
    A few posts previous states the exact opposite. He was brought Brazil because he does play a high line.

Well if he’s slow to turn he doesn’t suit a high line.
    I prefer the bit I read tbh. The high ball over Mert’s head still gives me nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Cedric Soares from Southampton on the way to us too according to Ornstein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hope we're not accumulating more average players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

AdamD wrote: »

Arteta won't tolerate that now.

Everton have turned down a €100m (£85m) bid from Barcelona for Richarlison. Let's hope they don't bid for Auba next.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Cedric Soares from Southampton on the way to us too according to Ornstein.

That would be great. He’s a European Championship winner I believe.
    At least Arteta is intent on fixing the defensive problems. I’d say he’ll bring in a central midfielder in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

AdamD wrote: »

Same here. But I have faith in Arteta, I think he's just working with our miniscule January budget.

That would be great. He’s a European Championship winner I believe.
    At least Arteta is intent on fixing the defensive problems. I’d say he’ll bring in a central midfielder in the summer.

33 caps for Portugal, decent experience

• Advertisement

33 caps for Portugal, decent experience

I wonder if it spells the exit of AMN or will he be kept to play higher?

I wonder if it spells the exit of AMN or will he be kept to play higher?

He improved greatly under Mikel, or maybe Mikel's system suited him more and gave him better protection. Realistically, who's he going to displace further up the pitch, unless there's an outgoing?

He improved greatly under Mikel, or maybe Mikel's system suited him more and gave him better protection. Realistically, who's he going to displace further up the pitch, unless there's an outgoing?

Probably be sent out on loan.

Is an interesting one as if you ask him his preferred position is wing back, hes not fully comfy at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Is an interesting one as if you ask him his preferred position is wing back, hes not fully comfy at right back.

Pretty sure he doesn't see himself as an anything back. Hes a right midfielder by trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

i may be a bit harsh here but from seeing him play live twice and any game ive watched on the TV AMN has looked miles off the pace and generally uninterested.

not been impressed by him at all this year.

where i wouldn't call cedric a world beater he will be very welcome cover to when bellarin is out injured which seems to be getting more and more frequent which is a big shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

AMN will go into midfield and i would say we will cut cellabos loan short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

ImANoob08 wrote: »
    i may be a bit harsh here but from seeing him play live twice and any game ive watched on the TV AMN has looked miles off the pace and generally uninterested.

not been impressed by him at all this year.

where i wouldn't call cedric a world beater he will be very welcome cover to when bellarin is out injured which seems to be getting more and more frequent which is a big shame.

Let’s just hope Soares returns from injury before Bellerin gets injured again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

L'prof wrote: »
    Let’s just hope Soares returns from injury before Bellerin gets injured again

Ah had no idea he was injured.... So we'll have rotating full backs due to injurys on both sides ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

OmegaGene wrote: »
    He’s recovering from a knee injury he got against palace

Think I seen somewhere he'll only miss 2 games

• Advertisement

AMN will go into midfield and i would say we will cut cellabos loan short

https://twitter.com/AdamCrafton_/status/1222935488329330688

seems Arteta wants Ceballos to stay...hes a good option when fit...

Hopefully we'll get this Soares deal sewn up very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Solid, experienced full back for little cost. Can't really go wrong.

Left back, right back, how many transfer windows have we asked for this....

I'm feeling really positive under Arteta, if we stop shipping goals and pick up a few points we could finish strongly

Interesting article which I can't find now! in which Luiz said he's spoken to some of the old back four to get ideas how better to communicate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Interesting article which I can't find now! in which Luiz said he's spoken to some of the old back four to get ideas how better to communicate

I’d appreciate a link to that article if you can find it beer.

I’d appreciate a link to that article if you can find it beer.

I'll try to get it as it was really open, read on a friends phone so I'll see if he still has it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm shocked that we're starting to focus on our problem areas. Honestly, I don't know if it's Arteta driving it, or if the guys in charge of finding players have finally copped on to what we all knew, but I'm happy with our business for the first time in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'm shocked that we're starting to focus on our problem areas. Honestly, I don't know if it's Arteta driving it, or if the guys in charge of finding players have finally copped on to what we all knew, but I'm happy with our business for the first time in years.

These mightn't be the greatest players for fixing the problem areas. Mari I've never seen play and Cedric is a back up for bell. Still need major proper investment in defence and midfield.

Happy they have tried to do something with the defence in January at least.

Ollie on the way to Spurs? feck it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Arah no. Spurs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard says he is happy with Giroud and will not be selling the France international.

"Olivier Giroud in this window has been incredible as a professional and as a man," said Lampard.

"We all know there has been interest.

"I've sat here at every press conference and said 'If it's right for Olivier, for myself and the club', and he's been impeccable in that period.

"I've got huge respect for him as a player.

"The answer again is no. As in, will he leave? No."

He deserves to sit on the Chelsea bench the next 5 months for even considering the dirty deed.

The loan players with an option to buy is good business for a change.
    If they’re good we keep them and if poor we send them back.

Meanwhile I hope we’re really scoping for even better players if these loan lads don’t fix our defensive problems.

I’d like a good attacking midfielder too.

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    These mightn't be the greatest players for fixing the problem areas. Mari I've never seen play and Cedric is a back up for bell. Still need major proper investment in defence and midfield.

Happy they have tried to do something with the defence in January at least.

Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting these guys are great, but we've had problem areas for years, and spent several windows buying nothing but attacking midfielders. It's just a nice change to spend a window bringing in relevant players, even if they're not perfect. There's a good few seasons where we'd have done a bit better if we'd brought in players to sort out our problems.

• Advertisement

So nothing late coming in or going out on TDD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

So nothing late coming in or going out on TDD?

Nothing being reported that I can see

I'm officially excited at the two signings.... I know we're not going to achieve massive things but we are 12 points off the top four and I honestly believe with Mari and Soares we can get there.

Chatting to my guy yesterday, there's a real buzz in the club with Arteta around, apparently the dressing room is like a church confessional when he's talking and Luiz is acting like a 'daddy' to the younger players. I remember Adams doing that in his day.

Call me old and sentimental but I haven't felt like this since the Highbury years.

COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Smith Rowe with one against Fulham

I'm officially excited at the two signings.... I know we're not going to achieve massive things but we are 12 points off the top four and I honestly believe with Mari and Soares we can get there.

Chatting to my guy yesterday, there's a real buzz in the club with Arteta around, apparently the dressing room is like a church confessional when he's talking and Luiz is acting like a 'daddy' to the younger players. I remember Adams doing that in his day.

Call me old and sentimental but I haven't felt like this since the Highbury years.

COYG

Great to get two signings but we will have to wait to see if they’re good enough.
    I was excited watching Tierney tearing down the left and putting in great crosses when he arrived but he’s hardly played a handful of games because of injuries since.
    Hopefully these lads remain injury free and mistake free too. They could be the answer to many of our defensive problems but we’ll have to wait and see. There didn’t appear to be a great fuss from their clubs to hold onto them but hopefully they shine for us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement