Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sticker Albums & Collections

• 29-01-2020 2:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm an aul lad now and my daughter who is 10 has recently started collecting match attacks. Along with that and a link I just found it got me thinking about my youth.

I remember my first sticker collection back in the mid 80's was also a treat. A packet of sweets, who's sister can still be bought today (I actually bought my girls a packet of love hearts each the other day). So who remembers Soccer Shields? Just like love hearts the sweets all had a team name or football phrase on them. And underneath the the paper wrapper stuck to the plastic was your surprise sticker. A club logo. Collect 10 wrappers or something like that and you could send away for a wallchart to put your stickers on. I remember Sheffield Wednesday was on it, you would also have some player pics and maybe a little about them. Definitely recall Ian Rush and Gary Bailey being on my chart. So what am I not remembering?

Next up came the panini football 88 sticker album. I worked hard and had a good collection going. I used to bring the album and stickers to school to swap with my pals until one morning as I was getting in the car I placed it on the bonnet and forgot about it till we were half way to school. My dad turned the car around and we headed back home surely expecting to find it on the driveway, but allas it was gone. It was bin day and the bins had been lifted. My dad spoke with he bin men and always maintained they had picked it up and brought it home to their own kids....I was devastated :(

As a result football 89 was collected only half heartedly.

But then the big one. World Cup '90, I'd watch out for it if I were you. The greatest sticker album of all time. I have it complete, every issue of the weekly magazine collected in the binder, every sticker in place and the soccer superstars page signed off by Bobby Charlton.

Here is Cloughy to tell you all about it.

I also collected the Star World cup sticker magazine back in 1990 and again in 1994. Obviously very Irish orientated. I remember they had a cool sticker reveal like Catchphrase where you had to get about 6 stickers which all became the one picture, a shot from behind the goal in lansdowne road or something.

So what football stickers and cards did you collect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

World Cup 90 was absolutely fantastic. Surprised they never tried it afterwards for USA or France.

I collected them all in the late 80s and early 90s but I have a little lad now who was 6 in the last World Cup and we collected the stickers. I have to say, it was an incredible experience to see the excitement he had in his eyes which mirrored me during Mexico 1986. Finding out all about foreign countries, learning about players he'd never seen. The world has changed hugely. In my day, you saw Brazilian players once every 4 years and they were like magicians from outer space but he got the same kick I did from collecting the likes of Peru, Colombia, Korea etc.

I also have to say, the excitement I got from buying and opening the stickers took me by surprise. It was like I was a kid again. I hope he's still into it in 2022 because I'd love to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

1974/75 was my first one (well, me and my brothers). Must’ve got John Delve of QPR around 15 times and nobody would swap cos they all had him loads of times too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

On that topic i remember collecting Snickers and Mars wrappers around USA 94 to get the attached collection which is my fave collection even over the Italia 90 complete sticker album and the Premier League Pin Badge Collection from 92/93 from Snickers / Mars also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

that looks class davehey79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

i must get a few snaps of the Premier League set and the mini Ireland set too

• Advertisement
Advertisement