Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshoot for a new build not posting

Options
  • 17-01-2020 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I'm stuck.. Been building a new machine for the brother-in-law, it's nothing special, reasonably cheap build and i just cant get it to POST at all.

parts are as follows

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
    MB: Gigabyte A320M-S2H (Socket AM4/A320/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Micro ATX)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400
    Power Supply: CiT 300W Micro Atx Power Supply

No video card as it's just a basic workstation type deal for him.
    I can get it to turn on, fans will spin,
    The system and CPU fans ok.
    Using a cheap AOC monitor, with VGA and DVI connections to connect directly to the board, and getting no display at all. Used both connections, resat all the parts and connections, stripped it down to the board twice to double check everything.

I've had a look around and i'm thinking the power supply isnt enough but.. according to pcpartpicker it's more than adequate, using approximately 150W out of 300W.
    Also, thinking the bios on the board may need updating but, i cant access it without some kind of display hah :D

Any ideas on how to get this little rig to post?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hey lads,

I'm stuck.. Been building a new machine for the brother-in-law, it's nothing special, reasonably cheap build and i just cant get it to POST at all.

parts are as follows

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
    MB: Gigabyte A320M-S2H (Socket AM4/A320/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Micro ATX)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400
    Power Supply: CiT 300W Micro Atx Power Supply

No video card as it's just a basic workstation type deal for him.
    I can get it to turn on, fans will spin,
    The system and CPU fans ok.
    Using a cheap AOC monitor, with VGA and DVI connections to connect directly to the board, and getting no display at all. Used both connections, resat all the parts and connections, stripped it down to the board twice to double check everything.

I've had a look around and i'm thinking the power supply isnt enough but.. according to pcpartpicker it's more than adequate, using approximately 150W out of 300W.
    Also, thinking the bios on the board may need updating but, i cant access it without some kind of display hah :D

Any ideas on how to get this little rig to post?

There isn't any onboard graphics when using that processor. You will need a graphics card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Need a graphics card. That cpu doesn't have integrated graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

well crap lol thought there was :/

that sorts that out i guess, thanks lads :)

any suggestions on a cheap basic one? cant afford to be flash with this one :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GTX 750 2Gb - €55

Or return the CPU and get a 2200G instead.

• Advertisement

would the GPU RAM type have any bearing on this or would DDR3 type RAM work with this setup?

just being supereconomic cheap here :D

would the GPU RAM type have any bearing on this or would DDR3 type RAM work with this setup?

just being supereconomic cheap here :D

GPU VRAM has no bearing on anything.

Also you cannot mix DDR3 + DDR4 on the motherboard; they're physically & electrically incompatible.
    Plus that GPU uses GDDR5.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    GPU VRAM has no bearing on anything.

Also you cannot mix DDR3 + DDR4 on the motherboard; they're physically & electrically incompatible.
    Plus that GPU uses GDDR5.

Yep, so just the GPU ram being DDR3 would work, but not actual stick DDR3 RAM?

I don't follow your question.

Nothing in these scenarios is DDR3.

was looking at picking this up for the machine, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AY78MLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it's pretty cheap but it's DDR3, that's what i meant, would that video card be alright with the build above?

• Advertisement

was looking at picking this up for the machine, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AY78MLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it's pretty cheap but it's DDR3, that's what i meant, would that video card be alright with the build above?

Spend the extra €14.
    The GT 710 is an abomination.
    I'd wager that with DDR3 on-board it might even cause slowdown on websites.

*edit*
    You can get a GTX 750 1Gb on CEX for €50, making it only €9 more expensive than the GT 710.
    Or hell, maybe a HD 6450 or HD 6670 but I'm not sure how well they play with Ryzen.

Yeah, that GTX 750 might be an option alright, what are CEX like for delivery times? 2-3 days i'm guessing?

Have a video card in the machine now, still have the same problem with no display, everything spins up alright, both the cpu fan and the system fan, leds come on, on the keyboard and mouse is getting power too, no fan on the GPU so i'm not sure about that, there's just no display at all..

i'm completely stumped with this lads :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Would that GPU not require a 450W power supply, and I think you mentioned you have 300W.

Do you have a spare PSU that you could hook up as a test to the board and GPU etc. that has 450W or better?

dont have a spare one i can hook up, as far as power goes, pcpartpicker is saying it's using 169W..

Monitor working for other PC/Laptops? Correct Input Selected? Cables working?

yep, checked two monitors, one new, one old, both work - just no display while plugged into the GPU, not the board. tried plugging into the board too knowing full-well at this point that the cpu doesnt have display.. just to be sure :D
    even tried using the DVI and VGA cables from an older allinone machine, both known to be working, neither show display.

Only thing i can guess is, maybe the bios isnt the right version, which is odd because it's supposed to be according to the box it came in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Bios won't be an issue as it's a 1st generation Ryzen. Could be one of a few things. Bad motherboard, bad power supply, bad ram....could even be a bad graphics card if you bought it 2nd hand, cex are not exactly known for reliably testing stuff.

CIT power supplies are also the lowest, worst of the low, so that could be the problem. best thing is to just build the machine outside the case with just motherboard/cpu installed, power supply connected, card installed. see if you get anything.

breadboard it, yeah i'll give it a shot, but seriously, so much hassle with this so far, it's become more expensive than the hassle is worth i may end up returning the CPU and board to amazon anyway. Literally spend days on this, thinking it's just an hour or two build and get windows running on it :(

stripped it down, rebuilt it outside of the case, just the Power Supply, GPU, CPU and Ram.. still no display, cpu fan comes on and stays on until i unplug it, no display from DVI or VGA.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions, i'm gonna try for a refund for the cpu and board. I'm so frustrated with it at this stage, was meant to be built for my brother-in-law, who has down syndrome, so it's his money really and i'm not willing to spend any more of his cash on it.

• Advertisement

stripped it down, rebuilt it outside of the case, just the Power Supply, GPU, CPU and Ram.. still no display, cpu fan comes on and stays on until i unplug it, no display from DVI or VGA.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions, i'm gonna try for a refund for the cpu and board. I'm so frustrated with it at this stage, was meant to be built for my brother-in-law, who has down syndrome, so it's his money really and i'm not willing to spend any more of his cash on it.

I may have an old GPU kicking around my home office that I could send you to test the parts. If the screen still didnt display, it would leave to other component being damaged. If it works, than its your GPU.

Let me check when I get home what it is.

I may have an old GPU kicking around my home office that I could send you to test the parts. If the screen still didnt display, it would leave to other component being damaged. If it works, than its your GPU.

Let me check when I get home what it is.

I appreciate the offer Krombopulos, i'm gonna go ahead and send the parts back to amazon though. Cheers man.

And thanks for the help folks, frustrating as it is, i do genuinely appreciate it.

Well when you get your refund, check the boards for sale thread, and you may find a cheap system that would suit your needs.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056460344&page=90

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

is the power reset button going from the case to the motherboard correctly orientated?

Irishder wrote: »
    is the power reset button going from the case to the motherboard correctly orientated?

thought along those lines too at first, checked it about a dozen times over, no joy.

I've gotten the refund from amazon already, which was kind of weird seeing as i literally dropped into the post office at around 4 today, they approved it about a half hour ago there.

Advertisement