Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blur or Oasis

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Oasis all the way from day 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was more Oasis back in the day but they've aged badly imho. Blur have a lot of shíte, (country house is fúcking woeful) but I'd still listen to their gems now.

TLDR; Blur

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I was a huuuuge Oasis fan back in the day. Be here now was the last of their good stuff (bar a very small handful of songs later on).

Now, however, I massively appreciate some of the music Blur have made. One of my mates even told me he'd never expect to hear me saying that.

I was also a massive Catatonia fan (probably biggest in Ireland I'd say!). Listening back now, alot of their stuff wasn't great, but the persuasive nature of being a teenager, obviously tainted my admiration for them back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Wheety wrote: »
    I like both :-)

You're not allowed to like both. Pick one and get off that fence

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

Peace in our time...............

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ian OB

Definitely Northern Uproar.

Steady on, next thing somebody will start eulogising Cast!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Very subjective these but go on...

Stereotypes
    Song 2
    End Of A Century
    Lonesome Street
    Trouble In The Message Centre
    On Your Own
    Coffee & TV
    Entertain Me
    There's No Other Way
    Bettlebum
    Popscene
    It Could Be You
    For Tomorrow
    Tender
    Chemical World
    The Universal
    To The End

(The real answer is to the OP is Suede anyway)

The Oasis list would be far more widely known. Not a fan of either band but know each of Oasis tracks listed but only a few of the Blur ones.

For me, it was Sleeper all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

lertsnim wrote: »
    I like both but think Suede is better.

Suede??
    They were mainly a great marketing trick.
    They were hyped up cleverly before they even released any music.

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/blog/ten-astonishing-facts-about-brit-glam-group-suede-031116

'1992 cover of Melody Maker proclaimed them the ‘Best New Band in Britain’ before they had officially released any music.'

It was well done though.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Looking at their whole careers - Blur, much more consistent and better albums.

But Oasis had better B-Sides. The 1994-1998 era is full of gems.

It is kind of like a Mardona v Ronaldo (Portuguese) argument.

Mardona was the short really bright flash and burnt out fast = Oasis

Ronaldo long career it is almost assumed the goods will be produced - changed style over time could vary thier play = Blur

I can remember how Blur used to have this internal struggle amongst the band between guitar based songs, pop type songs, and electronic based songs.
    They could also do Paul Weller-ish type songs.
    So on reflection there was a bit of everything from Blur - depending on your taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Not sure if Oasis have stood the test of time.
    If they made a comeback they would sell out for weeks but I think the crowd would be made up of a lot of Garth Brookes/c/w fans,not exactly rock and roll is it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Oasis.

tipptom wrote: »
    Not sure if Oasis have stood the test of time.
    If they made a comeback they would sell out for weeks but I think the crowd would be made up of a lot of Garth Brookes/c/w fans,not exactly rock and roll is it?

There was a good programme about Oasis on TG4, which implied that they were influenced by Irish style 'sing along' ballad type music.
    So I suppose you could be onto something with the Garth Brookes crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Suede??
    They were mainly a great marketing trick.
    They were hyped up cleverly before they even released any music.

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/blog/ten-astonishing-facts-about-brit-glam-group-suede-031116

'1992 cover of Melody Maker proclaimed them the ‘Best New Band in Britain’ before they had officially released any music.'

It was well done though.

Suede were, and still are, an excellent band. And they are still coming up with excellent albums. And great band live. Different style music than Blur, Oasis, Pulp etc. Unfair to compare them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

JeanL wrote: »
    Radiohead were in their own class. You wouldn't even think to compare.

I'd say it annoyed Blur to be associated with Oasis and Oasis just played on it more with the media and hype of it. I think they are both good and very different bands.

True, you wouldn't. Both are exponentially superior to anything that dribbling mess of a Thom Yorke was in. They were just noise.

Advertisement