Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever Young Festival 2019 5th - 7th July, Palmerstown House, Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭corm500

Looks like a replacement for Punchestown. Could be a good lark.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Tbh it looks like the line up from the Electric Ireland Throwback stage at EP

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Looks amazing, though I dont like the way youve to pay extra for parking and camping. Early birds are quite cheap, but the savings are eaten up by those charges, and the full price plus canping plus parking would be c 250 lids.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Anyone know if they cater for CamperVans ??

WM18 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they cater for CamperVans ??

Yes they have a campervan pass €75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Decent lineup but the prices are too high.
    Its 177 for a weekend ticket with no camping or 95 euro per day .
    The early bird weekend with camping is 139 euro so its actually cheaper to buy this than the weekend no camping .
    Makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Within walking distance for me!!! I'll be going woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Big Country one of the bands listed.Almost seventeen years since Stuart Adamson died.He was a big loss to the music industry,sad that the problems in his personal life led to his early death.Chance still remains one of my all time favourite songs.

Big Country one of the bands listed.Almost seventeen years since Stuart Adamson died.He was a big loss to the music industry,sad that the problems in his personal life led to his early death.Chance still remains one of my all time favourite songs.

I saw them when Stuart Adamson was still with them. Great group. They were supporting David Bowie at Slane 1987.

If other Facebook pages that the Forever Young facebook page links to is anything to go by, the festival might be about to announce Billy Ocean, Wet Wet Wet, Roland Gift, Thompson Twins and the Waterboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

anewme wrote: »
    Within walking distance for me!!! I'll be going woo hoo!

Me too! Hello, neighbour.

Heaven 17 just added to the lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭sabrewulf

I would love to go to this, but they ALWAYS got canceled in the past. RDS 2008, Astley, Carlile, etc., Point 2016 or 2017, Coolio, Tone Loc, there was one last year at the point with an Ace of Base singer (did not try, was that actually going ahead?). All priced around eur 50 to 60.
    Now we have this one for 177, so I don't see why this would sell well unfortunately.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

sabrewulf wrote: »
    I would love to go to this, but they ALWAYS got canceled in the past. RDS 2008, Astley, Carlile, etc., Point 2016 or 2017, Coolio, Tone Loc, there was one last year at the point with an Ace of Base singer (did not try, was that actually going ahead?). All priced around eur 50 to 60.
    Now we have this one for 177, so I don't see why this would sell well unfortunately.

For me the extra payment for camping and parking is a bit annoying, bringing the real cost up to Electric Picnic price levels. The early birds are now sold out, and uou had to buy a camping ticket to get the 112e advertised early bird.

Its a lot of one hit wonders too, which has me on the fence.

However, in a world where I dont understand the music the kids are into, this might be a bit of craic! Hopefully it goes ahead.

corm500 wrote: »
    Heaven 17 just added to the lineup

Jimmy Somerville added now too, along with Andrew Strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

With all these acts added now there was a potential for some of these at the Picnic, might end up going to this one too, its becoming like the soundtrack to the Black Mirror episode San Junipero. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Thompson Twins Tom Bailey just announced

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

Fantastic line up.Will defo be going to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes fantastic line up....if it was 30 years....but you gotta remember most of these acts are well past their sell by date, i'd doubt if half of them can still sing in tune

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes fantastic line up....if it was 30 years....but you gotta remember most of these acts are well past their sell by date, i'd doubt if half of them can still sing in tune

If you think the quality of Hazel O 'Connors voice is going to be the focus of conversation at this festival, you may be missing the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

not just Hazel all of them..

...i went to one of these 80's reunion concerts a few years back and it was dreadful, best to remember these acts in their prime me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What I'd like to know is where did the big headline poster on post one go, it was the most eye catching lineup in a while, for retro 80s and 90s stuff anyway. Its funny as I don't see edit in the post for it to but just changed to an Url.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

forever young.jpg

I dont know how to get this image onto the post but here it is.

HOLLY JOHNSON • THE HUMAN LEAGUE
    Level 42 • Kim Wilde • Jimmy Somerville •
    Marc Almond • Bonnie Tyler • Midge Ure •
    Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins) • Hothouse Flowers
    Heaven 17 • T’Pau • The Christians • Big Country • From The Jam • Cry Before Dawn • The Fizz • China Crisis • Imagination/Leee John • Toyah • Hazel O’Connor • Katrina (& The Waves) • Andrew Strong • Dr and the Medics • Bagatelle

So, here's what I think:

If it was a 1 Day Festival, similar to a live aid style event- then you'd get 15 minutes of Kim Wilde singing Kids in America and a couple of other tunes, Hothouse flowers still pleading with us not to go, China Crisis still Wishful thinking etc etc and as you move into the evening, make it a 1/2 hour set so some Big Country hits, Human League, Midge Ure, Marc Almond, Jimmy Somerville and maybe Frankie Goes to Hollywood for the final hour blasting out RELAX in an encore, and then we all go home to a chorus of Bagatelle's Summer in Dublin. Great day. I'd pay 100 euro for that day.

But not the way it's set up currently. Complete bore fest and over-priced.

HOLLY JOHNSON • THE HUMAN LEAGUE
    Level 42 • Kim Wilde • Jimmy Somerville •
    Marc Almond • Bonnie Tyler • Midge Ure •
    Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins) • Hothouse Flowers
    Heaven 17 • T’Pau • The Christians • Big Country • From The Jam • Cry Before Dawn • The Fizz • China Crisis • Imagination/Leee John • Toyah • Hazel O’Connor • Katrina (& The Waves) • Andrew Strong • Dr and the Medics • Bagatelle

So, here's what I think:

If it was a 1 Day Festival, similar to a live aid style event- then you'd get 15 minutes of Kim Wilde singing Kids in America and a couple of other tunes, Hothouse flowers still pleading with us not to go, China Crisis still Wishful thinking etc etc and as you move into the evening, make it a 1/2 hour set so some Big Country hits, Human League, Midge Ure, Marc Almond, Jimmy Somerville and maybe Frankie Goes to Hollywood for the final hour blasting out RELAX in an encore, and then we all go home to a chorus of Bagatelle's Summer in Dublin. Great day. I'd pay 100 euro for that day.

But not the way it's set up currently. Complete bore fest and over-priced.

Its 12 acts per day on one stage so I doubt if you would get to hear any of the acts more obscure deep cuts. It will be hit,hit,hit. That suits me fine its a retro festival its not the EP. Its just a chance to listen to some acts from back in the day that you thought you would never get a chance to see alongside a second stage with tribute acts, a silent disco and a fairground. A fun weekend to be had IMHO.

corm500 wrote: »
    Its 12 acts per day on one stage so I doubt if you would get to hear any of the acts more obscure deep cuts. It will be hit,hit,hit. That suits me fine its a retro festival its not the EP. Its just a chance to listen to some acts from back in the day that you thought you would never get a chance to see alongside a second stage with tribute acts, a silent disco and a fairground. A fun weekend to be had IMHO.

Ah look, if you're going for the craic and with a gang of friends, I'm sure you'll have fun. But I attended a similar 1 day fest a few years ago and it was very disjointed throughout the day- a lot of stop/start, long delays in-between gigs and only certain bands/singers I was interested in. Some of the early line up should have been later and vice versa. You really need to spend the 3 days to see all of the greats of this line up and for me, that's just too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Just heard about this via the EP thread.

Can't go (as I'm going to The Who in Wembley) but it's a very solid line up and seems to be cut from the cloth of the Let's Rock festivals running in the UK from May to September.

Level 42 just off a sold out UK tour with a stint at the Royal Albert Hall. Mark King is an insane bassist.

Saw Tom Bailey support Culture Club in November he was brilliant.

Heaven 17 - Martyn Ware is a pioneer.

Toyah has been touring extensively recently.

Dead jealous of any of you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Saw Tom Bailey support Culture Club in November he was brilliant.
    Did he play 2 nights because the night I saw him his voice was well past its best before date, tried to sing the old songs but even the stage act couldn't hide it. Pity because I was a big fan of the Thompson Twins in their/my time. Will be having a walk around the festival when he is playing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

well will Marc Almond be doing any soft cell or will it be his solo stuff only? Anyone seen him before post soft cell?

I think it's a class line up

• Advertisement

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    well will Marc Almond be doing any soft cell or will it be his solo stuff only? Anyone seen him before post soft cell?

I think it's a class line up

Set list from a couple of days ago
    Adored and Explored
    "Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart" - Gene Pitney (Intro)
    Tears Run Rings
    Torch
    (Soft Cell song)
    Bedsitter
    (Soft Cell song)
    Soul Inside
    (Soft Cell song)
    Say Hello, Wave Goodbye
    (Soft Cell song)
    Jacky
    (Jacques Brel cover)
    Hot Love