Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runners - Brand/Type and outlet suggestions

Options
  • 12-07-2019 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

With XC season looming in the not too distant future I'm planning on giving it a go this year. I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for type and brand of good solid reliable runners for the training and races? And given that I'm living in Galway and Amphibian King is no more in Oranmore, wheres the best place to go shopping for them?

Any advice much appreciated! thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

GKiraly wrote: »
    With XC season looming in the not too distant future I'm planning on giving it a go this year. I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for type and brand of good solid reliable runners for the training and races? And given that I'm living in Galway and Amphibian King is no more in Oranmore, wheres the best place to go shopping for them?

Any advice much appreciated! thanks :D
    Depends on the races your planning, if weather is good you may get away with a trial runner like asics Trabuco ( and use this for training in winter on grass. ) but racing prob best to look into a spikes .

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

I have trail runners as I do alot of training on trails, but its spikes I'm after for better grip underfoot, particularly for the harsher winter weather whilst doing XC!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I use Puma Haraka. But you really need to just go and try on a few pairs to see what feels right for you. The most important aspect is comfortable fit, and size variation between and even within some brands is considerable Buying blind online is a crapshoot, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

I use Puma Haraka.

Thanks, good to know. Any recommendations for where I could go shopping for them?
    When it comes to runners, unless I'm buying a pair of runners I have or had, then I avoid online shopping. Normally I'm a size 8 1/2 but over the years between flats, trail and ordinary runners the sizes I've worn have varied from 7 1/2 up to 9!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

You could try a local Elverys store to see if they have any in store or if they can order in. Failing that you could always order from the website and pickup in store and try them there and then either https://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/search/?text=spikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Wear a pair of Puma Ngongs for heavy duty cross races.

For drier courses tend to wear Brooks Mach or the Saucony Kilkenny.

Can pick up good sale prices on startfitness usually (with spikes tend to go up half a size from normal size

Advertisement