Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Bags

Options
  • 15-07-2019 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone help please.

I'm not used to Ryanair for holidays and already I'm cursing going on our family holiday with them as I'm lost in their quagmire and worried they are going to load extra charges on me when i get to the airport no matter what I end up doing!

So we booked our family holiday with Abbey Travel, a package which includes Ryanair Flights. The fella told me to sus out what bags we need before booking them and told me how to book them in. Looks like I should have booked them at the time though as it is now double the price :(

We don't have much to bring, can probably get away with one large 20kg bag for the 5 of us. €100 return

But they do have an option of €12 per flight per person to include priority & 2 cabin bags (one up to 10kg) I can only book this for all 5 people but it is €120 return so better value than checking just one single bag in and will give us a bit of breathing room in the bags. I think we can live with carrying them through security and no liquids.

first question, is there any way of just booking this for 3 people?

But I'm concerned about the size of the bags. can anyone give me guidance on this please. Are there dimensions the bag has to be? And if there are, how strict are they? I remember they used to make people put their bags in a stand the size of a shoe box or they couldn't take them on board, is that still the case? I have a rucksack, its got a rigid back about 70cm tall, but will pack it under the 20kg. Will that be acceptable?

I don't mind if they take the bags off me at the gate and put them in the hold, I just don't want them to give me a bill for doing it?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

If you go priority they won't weight your 10kg bags as you will not need to check in at the desk.

Yes you can select priority for individual passengers on the app. I did it for 3 out off 4 as the son is only 2 I didn't want to get an extra bag for him.

The check in bag price shouldn't double, you prob only originally checked it for one way.

The dimensions are on the website. They are not as bad as they used to you will be fine. You can also just add a bag for the return and save money. So you can bring liquids then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

thanks limpy.
    don't have app, doing online, will look at getting app on wifes phone and doing it that way.

just found this
    If you purchased Priority & 2 Cabin Bags (including a Flexi, Flexi Plus or Family Plus ticket), you may carry on board the small and a large piece of Cabin Baggage, weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, unless operational reasons require us to place the large cabin bag in the hold.

how strict is this bag size can anyone tell me? ie if my bag is 70*40*20 will i be done at the gate? do they make you fit your bags into them bins anymore?

Seve OB wrote: »
    thanks limpy.
    don't have app, doing online, will look at getting app on wifes phone and doing it that way.

just found this

how strict is this bag size can anyone tell me? ie if my bag is 70*40*20 will i be done at the gate? do they make you fit your bags into them bins anymore?

If it goes over your shoulder u will be fine. It needs to fit under the Seat. If it's full off clothes it would easily squeeze down to the required dimensions when pressed.

If it's a 20kg bag you want to use it for then you will have to check it in at the desk. If you are in non priority and you have 2 bags you will be targeted as you are only allowed one.

From what I seen most persons in non priority should not have a rolly suitcase. Just a bag on the shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

If you can get away with a 20 kg for the 5 of you,could you pack it into 5 smaller bags?
    We travel light and take a school bag size/ type each,which is free and can be shoved under the seat in front.Think the dimensions are supposed to be 40cm×25cm×20cm.(that's from memory,so could be wrong).

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    If you can get away with a 20 kg for the 5 of you,could you pack it into 5 smaller bags?
    We travel light and take a school bag size/ type each,which is free and can be shoved under the seat in front.Think the dimensions are supposed to be 40cm5cm0cm.(that's from memory,so could be wrong).

probably not. we were going to all be taking a small bag on each anyway which would be on top of the checked bag, kids will have their teddies & toys/books. I'll have a laptop and camera etc

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    probably not. we were going to all be taking a small bag on each anyway which would be on top of the checked bag, kids will have their teddies & toys/books. I'll have a laptop and camera etc

Travelling with kids is tough. The less bags you need to carry on the plane the better. If they are old enough to Carry a bigger free bag then max that out and throw everything onto a 20k bag on return. U can carry a holdall bag in your own bag on the outgoing and fill it up for the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I went priority yesterday with ryanair back from italy.
    We went with One 60kg rucksack(packed with clothes) and a bag that can be carried/also be wheeled that is quite large.
    Not stopped or weighed at either end.

Like another person said. If its on your back..they really dont look at it.
    It also doesnt have to go under the seat get on it early enough and it will go in the compartment

was able to use the app to book priority for just one person, many thanks for the tip.
    booked that on top of a single checked in bag of 20kg. should be sorted now, thanks folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I went priority yesterday with ryanair back from italy.
    We went with One 60kg rucksack(packed with clothes) and a bag that can be carried/also be wheeled that is quite large.
    Not stopped or weighed at either end.

Like another person said. If its on your back..they really dont look at it.
    It also doesnt have to go under the seat get on it early enough and it will go in the compartment

A 60kg rucksack???!

Advertisement