Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New build help!

Options
  • 15-07-2019 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Some people say they aren’t great on tech but then you read through old posts they seem to know quite a bit, not the case with me so help needed!!!
    New build house. I’ve loads of CAT 6 ran, pretty much to every room. Currently only have an echo and use amazon music and happy with that so I’m thinking along the lines of this:

- Hub in kitchen with an echo show (2nd gen)

- Smart doorbell and 3 cameras linked back to here

- Hue strip lighting (echo show works as bridge)

- Sonos for music (to be added later when budget allows)

- TV sky q with multiroom

- HKC alarm with app

I’ve some amazon vouchers to use and like the echo so hence decision to go with echo show as a hub of sorts!
    Any help or comments really appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sounds like a pretty solid plan. Lots of Cat6 is probably the most important thing. The rest can easily change as new tech comes out.

A Ring doorbell probably makes sense with an Echo Show, they are both Amazon companies. Ring will probably required a subscription. That might lead you naturally into the other 3 cameras being Ring too. However I've no experience of Ring cameras, so I can't really say if they are any good.

Pity that the Ring alarm system hasn't come to Europe yet.

If you end up getting more Hue lights in future (who doesn't!) then it would probably make sense to get the Hue bridge. It would give you far more functionality then using the Echo show as the bridge. Fortunately, hue bridges often end up coming free when bundled with a couple of Hue bulbs. See the current deals on Hue as part of the Prime sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

bk wrote: »
    Sounds like a pretty solid plan. Lots of Cat6 is probably the most important thing. The rest can easily change as new tech comes out.

A Ring doorbell probably makes sense with an Echo Show, they are both Amazon companies. Ring will probably required a subscription. That might lead you naturally into the other 3 cameras being Ring too. However I've no experience of Ring cameras, so I can't really say if they are any good.

Pity that the Ring alarm system hasn't come to Europe yet.

If you end up getting more Hue lights in future (who doesn't!) then it would probably make sense to get the Hue bridge. It would give you far more functionality then using the Echo show as the bridge. Fortunately, hue bridges often end up coming free when bundled with a couple of Hue bulbs. See the current deals on Hue as part of the Prime sale.

Thanks bk. Was going to go with ring doorbell wasn't sure on cameras but I suppose it makes sense. I am fortunate to get Amazon vouchers now & again so the I'm ok with the sub.

Is the ring alarm due to come here?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look up blink cams as these will work too and Amazon owned...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

caddy16 wrote: »
    Is the ring alarm due to come here?

I'd assume so, but no sign of it yet.

And it has pros and cons versus hkc.

Advertisement