Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of the scumbags in this city ** Mod Warning in Op **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Parchment wrote: »
    She is from Hamburg - its a pretty big place.

Manila is a tad different from a city in a European country.. Why would she be shocked by things in Manila? - she would expect things to be different. She didnt expect it here. She is well travelled - working for an international company, highly educated and open minded.

Why cant you just accept that someone (and she apparently isn't the only one) found her Limerick experience to be tainted by the "scum" referred to in the OP. Its ok to say that things are not great in your own city, i am ok with saying it. It makes me sad, but thats the way it is.

No one says that its not full of scum, but your making it out worse than it is! You havent responded to my points about O'Connell street Dublin or about most cities having social problems. I doubt she was *that* surprised. Maybe a little, but Limerick is not the absolute hole of Ireland either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Carnacalla wrote: »
    No one says that its not full of scum, but your making it out worse than it is! You havent responded to my points about O'Connell street Dublin or about most cities having social problems. I doubt she was *that* surprised. Maybe a little, but Limerick is not the absolute hole of Ireland either.

Dublin is a far bigger city - our capital city. I guess it would come with the territory and is more likely to be expected.

Limerick isnt a hole but i think it has more social problems and "scum" than other cities its size. Perhaps thats why she was taken aback.

Like i keep repeating - Limerick is my home town, i live here now, my family are from here and i know so many lovely people from here but we do have a lot of social problems in this city, disproportionate to its size. Good and decent people are being pushed around by people who are a waste of space and state resources. They have given and maintained our cities bad name in Ireland unfortunately.

I wish it was different. I dont want to be afraid for my grandparents who are still living in Garryowen, i dont want to worry about my safety walking on Shannon Banks, i dont want rocks thrown at my car, i dont want stones thrown at me when i go walking or running. But we do have these problems here and people need to accept it and maybe then we can try to sort it rather than pretending its all ok - because its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Take them up to O'Connell Street Dublin so, show them the real Ireland :).

99% of cities in the world have social problems. Limerick may have proportionally more for its size, but to say that you need to bring the visitors to Cork is kinda hypocritical in a way. Cork has plenty of social problems too.

Also, you may note that I am not from Limerick nor do I live there.

I wouldn't take any visitor to O'Connell Street Dublin because it is a junkie infested kip.
    If she was shocked she must be a bit closeted. I wonder what she would think walking down the street in Manila.

You know things are bad when you have to bring up the likes of Manila to make a point. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

We have a visitor from another country here with us for a week. I am mortified as to what she has seen in this city. We have decided to head to Cork/Galway for a day trip to get out of here. I have to constantly emphasise this city and some of the people here are not what all cities and people in Ireland are like.

To be honest i am mortified to be from this city right now.

Im sorry here now this notion that Limerick is the black sheep of Irish cities has to be tackled head on. You say that Limerick and it's people are not what other people in Ireland are like. That is correct i find that the people of Limerick stand out too. They stand out as a very warm honest genuine welcoming friendly and non clannish people. If it wasn't for my affinity to Cork City i have had since childhood i probably would declare Limerick as the nicest city in the country. As it is it is my favourite Irish city along with Cork and Waterford is up there as well. What i hate about Cork and Galway is that i feel both places have become a bit less friendly especially Galway which is out on it's own (not all Galway people are like that but there is so much about modern Galway that i have grown to detest) when it comes to pretensions and delusions of grandeur. But what i love about Limerick is that it's an honest genuine city warts and all and there's just something refreshing about that. Yet despite it being a big city i still feel a warmth and friendliness to the people especially the people working in the shops around town that reminds me of my old beloved home town in East Cork.

Is there bad people in Limerick yes there is but there is no street in Limerick that is as bad as parts of Dublin city centre. Have i seen bad behaviour at times in Limerick yes. I have also seen bad behaviour Cork as well. A group of young thugs spitting at a street performer on Patrick Street on a hot summers day is a memory that stick out. I already spoke about the lad's in Eyre Square in Galway throwing the explosive caps around frightening people within the vicinty of them being fired around and that's only small potatoes really. I can add more incidents but i made my point. Limerick has issues like everywhere and it is no harm to discuss them because a head stuck in the sand approach does no one any good. But this notion that Limerick is some sort of disaster zone that has to be avoided at all costs is the be quite frank a load of rubbish. Limerick has it's good points and it's bad points the same as anywhere else. It's just that people like to kick Limerick into the dirt for it's negative aspects. No other Irish city and town has to deal with this sh!t. As Silentcorner has said many times it's bullying of the highest order.

People saying they feel uncomfortable walking around Limerick, something I have seen on here many times and heard from others for years now, do not deserve to be criticised when they articulate that view.

The people who should be criticised are the gurriers that make them feel like that. Comparisons to other cities are irrelevant. This is the Limerick Forum. Limerick is our city and our home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

People saying they feel uncomfortable walking around Limerick, something I have seen on here many times and heard from others for years now, do not deserve to be criticised when they articulate that view.

The people who should be criticised are the gurriers that make them feel like that. Comparisons to other cities are irrelevant. This is the Limerick Forum. Limerick is our city and our home.

As i said a problem needs to be talked about not brushed under the carpet and ignored and believe me there is no one more right wing when it's comes to thugs scumbags and criminals than me.Comparisons to other places are relevant when some people use topics like this as an excuse to kick Limerick into the dirt.Funnily enough the people saying that comparisons to other places are irrelevant are probably the same people thanking posts when people make unflattering comparisons about Limerick to other places.

No one is being criticised for saying that they are uncomfortable walking around Limerick. They (and you) are being criticised for saying that you have to bring people to other cities in ireland eg Cork, Galway in order to stay away from Limerick as much as possible. Limerick is nowhere near as bad as that.

Limerick is a troubled city! We know that and no one denies that. We need to tackle these issues! But in no way is Limerick way worse than Cork or way worse than Galway. There are south hills in galway and cork too! Not to the same extent, but they are quite near!

By now we should have realised that throwing money alone at the social issue doesn't work. We pay our undesirables €188 in basic welfare and then more on top of that if they own a whellie bin upwards! We need jobs and things for them people to do!

Eg, Big public gardens and get unemployed people to work there for at least 100 hours a year. If they refuse, they get a welfare snip.

If someone is caught on drugs or with an alcohol problem, they will need to attend a 2 hour course every week for 3 months or they will get a welfare snip (or tax hike!).

If they take the welfare snip and go robbing things or money, they go to a low security jail for a month and attend an outside drugs/robbing/gardening/cooking/education course for an hour each day.

People need to work for their welfare! If they realise this, they will be far more inclined to get a job. Then they have something to do and that equates into lower anti-social behaviour.

If travellers or anyone else are caught shouting in the street, they must take one 2 hour elocution course! They refuse? Welfare snip/tax hike!

Plans like these will quickly half the bad behaviour of certain Limerick citizens.

No one is being criticised for saying that they are uncomfortable walking around Limerick. They (and you) are being criticised for saying that you have to bring people to other cities in ireland eg Cork, Galway in order to stay away from Limerick as much as possible. Limerick is nowhere near as bad as that.

Limerick is a troubled city! We know that and no one denies that. We need to tackle these issues! But in no way is Limerick way worse than Cork or way worse than Galway. There are south hills in galway and cork too! Not to the same extent, but they are quite near!

It is to me and many others. I won't apologise or retract that statement just to please you or anyone else.

It is to me and many others. I won't apologise or retract that statement just to please you or anyone else.
    God don't be so petty, I've never told you or anyone else to retract your statement! I have a different opinion to you. I cannot see how Limerick is a million times worse than other Irish cities, and to anyone who thinks that it is I can only imagine that they have been spending time in a part of cork or galway I don't know about!
    Just as you are, im entitled to my opinion!

I am arguing my point, you argue yours, but please don't act like Im trying to shut you up or stop you from talking, I have actually asked a few of ye to answer my points but never received a responce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I LOL at the comment of cut the parents dole .............like no children of parents who work can be or is a scumbag

PS
    I do agree that Limerick has a big scobe problem and it is only growing in fact now a days it is like a badge of honour to be a scobe if you are a teenager

• Advertisement

campo wrote: »
    I LOL at the comment of cut the parents dole .............like no children of parents who work can be or is a scumbag
    I mentioned hike taxes!
    Children of parents who work can definitely turn into scumbags. Thats why the education system needs to work.
    A big problem is that once a child leaves secondary, bang, alot of support goes. That also needs to be continued

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I've lived here for most of my life. Never had any real trouble with anyone. Never felt unsafe in the city, even at 2am. There's a few hooligans around alright but nothing extraordinary.

There is a certain level of crime which needs to be addressed I think but I would imagine it's on par with a lot of other places.

Try walking down coldharbour lane in brixton and then come back and tell me you still think Limerick is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I've lived here for most of my life. Never had any real trouble with anyone. Never felt unsafe in the city, even at 2am. There's a few hooligans around alright but nothing extraordinary.

There is a certain level of crime which needs to be addressed I think but I would imagine it's on par with a lot of other places.

Try walking down coldharbour lane in brixton and then come back and tell me you still think Limerick is dangerous.

Its not about comparing it to other places. Its about whats happening in our city and not letting it be taken over, with the decent ordinary people being pushed out. Its about making it a decent place for visitors and making it a place to be proud to show people.

Its not about comparing it to other places.
    When you talk about having to bring your client to "Cork" or "Galway" it suddenly turns into comparisons.
    Its about whats happening in our city and not letting it be taken over, with the decent ordinary people being pushed out. Its about making it a decent place for visitors and making it a place to be proud to show people.

Its not being taken over yet, but I do agree with you to an extent. We need better policing and social policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Recent international study suggests Limerick has most affordable property in the world.

http://www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf

if we removed the scum from Limerick, prices would probably shoot up.

so maybe the scum are doing us a favour, kindof
    or maybe not

I don't know, but its an interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I was in Cork at the weekend and the one obvious difference I noticed and it's something blatantly obvious in Galway too is the amount of tourists and foreign people on the streets compared with Limerick. I'd say a lot are advised to avoid Limerick given it's bad rep as there's an obvious difference.
    It's unfortunate as they add a cosmopolitan feel to those cities as most of the customers I noticed sitting outside the cafes were foreigners - erasmus students and tourists. Same goes with Quay st. in Galway, most people sitting outside them on a sunny day aren't locals either.
    In saying all that I also saw some skangers hanging around too, they've a very similar accent to the skangers in Limerick. There were also people begging on the main street Patrick st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I was in Cork at the weekend and the one obvious difference I noticed and it's something blatantly obvious in Galway too is the amount of tourists and foreign people on the streets compared with Limerick. I'd say a lot are advised to avoid Limerick given it's bad rep as there's an obvious difference.
    It's unfortunate as they add a cosmopolitan feel to those cities as most of the customers I noticed sitting outside the cafes were foreigners - erasmus students and tourists. Same goes with Quay st. in Galway, most people sitting outside them on a sunny day aren't locals either.
    In saying all that I also saw some skangers hanging around too, they've a very similar accent to the skangers in Limerick. There were also people begging on the main street Patrick st.

the college in limerick is outside the city in castletroy. partly the reason why you see so many in galway and cork is because their main colleges are in or close to the city

I think that's a mix of 3 things.

1. Limerick doesn't market itself as a tourist destination and has very little to offer tourists after St.Johns castle and Thomond Park.

2. The bad reputation of the city frightens off a fair few tourists. Limerick is probably far safer than the likes of Belfast and Derry.

3. The actual skangers in the touristy places frighten off all possible tourists.

I think that's a mix of 3 things.

1. Limerick doesn't market itself as a tourist destination and has very little to offer tourists after St.Johns castle and Thomond Park.

2. The bad reputation of the city frightens off a fair few tourists. Limerick is probably far safer than the likes of Belfast and Derry.

3. The actual skangers in the touristy places frighten off all possible tourists.

There's no medieval castle or stadium in both Cork or Galway. As I mentioned before Limerick trumps Galway for architecture and is more grand than Cork with it's Georgian terraces and grand squares like Pery sq, Johns Sq and the Cresent where the Daniel O' Connell statue is located. The riverfront in Limerick is also by far the best out of all the cities in the country. I really don't know what more Cork & Galway have to offer tourists.
    The rep has a massive part to play.

I met Canadians in Edinburgh last year and I mentioned that I went to UL and she replied 'Oh stab city'.
    It's easy for us to say Limerick isn't that bad and know the real picture however if it's frightening visitors away there's a problem somewhere.

There's no medieval castle or stadium in both Cork or Galway. As I mentioned before Limerick trumps Galway for architecture and is more grand than Cork with it's Georgian terraces and grand squares like Pery sq, Johns Sq and the Cresent where the Daniel O' Connell statue is located. The riverfront in Limerick is also by far the best out of all the cities in the country. I really don't know what more Cork & Galway have to offer tourists.
    The rep has a massive part to play.

I met Canadians in Edinburgh last year and I mentioned that I went to UL and she replied 'Oh stab city'.
    It's easy for us to say Limerick isn't that bad and know the real picture however if it's frightening visitors away there's a problem somewhere.

The problem is, there's no one fixing the problem! The social problems would be better hidden if there was tourists in the way.

With Shannon Airport nearby, you'd think it'd get a lot more Americans than it does at the moment.

• Advertisement

The problem is, there's no one fixing the problem! The social problems would be better hidden if there was tourists in the way.

With Shannon Airport nearby, you'd think it'd get a lot more Americans than it does at the moment.

part of the reason galway and cork look like they do, is because you have the uni students walzing through the streets because the colleges are close to the city centre. the students hide the scumbags

castletroy is full of students because the 20,000 ul students go to ul there and its too far to walk into the city from there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Galway has Connemara, the West in general, and Aran Islands so they'd be big draws.

Bigger draws than St. Johns Castle or Thomond Park I'd imagine too.

I mean if you know little about rugby, or even if you know alot, I'm not sure Thomond would be of any interest to you.

The Cliffs of Moher would probably be seen as a Galway thing too, even though Limerick is probably closer.

Both Cork and Galway (there's no point in mentioning Dublin considering it has a metro population of 1.8million) can afford of have the odd scobe and anti-social problem as they don't have an image problem. Galway is loved by so many and it's also seen as cool and trendy to be spending a weekend there. That's the rep it has nationwide. Cork isn't far off that opinion either.

The thing with Limerick is it's reputation. That's why it's significant to make much more of an effort with tackling the skangers and the antisocial behavior in Limerick. There's no point in saying Limerick is great to outsiders and attracting them in when the first view they get of the city are sulkies racing down the road giving you the two fingers. It only reinforces the perception that already exits, maybe a reality.

Something has to be done about Patrick street asap. It's directly across THE HUNT MUSEUM a MAJOR tourist spot for Limerick and across from the Locke bar area, it's nothing short of a disgrace. The main entry point and thoroughfare into the city centre, could you imagine the same situation in Cork or Galway, I couldn't. It's a desperate eyesore on such a prominent street.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Galway has Connemara, the West in general, and Aran Islands so they'd be big draws.

Bigger draws than St. Johns Castle or Thomond Park I'd imagine too.

I mean if you know little about rugby, or even if you know alot, I'm not sure Thomond would be of any interest to you.

The Cliffs of Moher would probably be seen as a Galway thing too, even though Limerick is probably closer.

limerick has kerry and lough derg so take that

Roquentin wrote: »
    limerick has kerry and lough derg so take that

And Adare,I know it's clare but Bunratty too :-p

And Adare,I know it's clare but Bunratty too :-p

and killaloe and o briens bridge (both in clare but very close)

And Shannon! Oh wait......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Fixing the image of Limerick would involve a national attempt by the government and media such as TV and newspapers since the reason people around different counties consider Limerick a rough and dangerous place is because of how it was painted by the media during the gang shootings and such. Stuff like that is gold to the media so they ran with it and made the city out to be something like Compton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Fixing the image of Limerick would involve a national attempt by the government and media such as TV and newspapers since the reason people around different counties consider Limerick a rough and dangerous place is because of how it was painted by the media during the gang shootings and such. Stuff like that is gold to the media so they ran with it and made the city out to be something like Compton.

Would have thought the city of culture was that opportunity for Limerick, but a lot of the media and other people lost interest with all the nonsense/politics at the beginning of the year and who could blame them. Everything else after that was slightly tarnished imo. The media were not to blame for that really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Comparing Limerick to cities like Galway I'm afraid is a losing battle, Galway has the whole tourism thing sown up, between Arts Week, Race Week, Students and events like the Ocean Races they just have a brilliant marketing system that has been going for well over 50 years. Cork is the second biggest city in Ireland.

Weirdly from a tourism point of view Limerick probably suffers a little but from being too close to Shannon and all the other great tourism within an hour of the airport. Tourists would be as likely to go straight to the airport after finishing their holidays somewhere like Bunratty than to go into Limerick, tourist would also probably be just as likely to start their holiday at the Ring of Kerry than staying near the airport.

Saying all that, Limerick has a great tourist attraction in Munster Rugby, it's not as big as it used to be, but having 10k people coming in for a match at the weekend is a massive bonus to any city, in fact I would say that Belfast and Dublin are the only cities that can match that.

Personally, I think Limerick should start a "Sports" of Ireland tourists track, Bunratty and St. Johns could be some sort of medieval sports thing, loads of great golf courses around, try to promote a massive tag/7s rugby weekend, pitch to host the Fitzgibbon/Sigerson as often as possible, there's a great hockey tradition around Limerick also, there's loads of large places that could be used for some indoor events (e.g. old Dell building).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement