Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demian Maia vs Judo Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Moved from MMA - because Judo or BJJ are not MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Very interesting. They're fighting in a mma gym and maia is wearing mma gloves, perhaps he's had a really hard session etc or perhaps didn't expect such a stern test but i was surprised by how well the judo guy did.

the judo guy is of course a 2 time olympian (silver 2004, bronze 2008) and a world champion (gold 2007) so he really is very very good at the sport of judo. maia won adcc 2007 and 2005 and medalled in the brasilian nationals at his weight class and open weight. Now i didn't watch the thing forensically but i think under any bjj/submission rule set the judo guy won that bout and never looked in danger except maybe in the first 30 seconds. having said that, I don't think he would have submitted maia even if they'd be rolling for 20 minutes.

now i've never heard of the judo guy before (tiago camilo) and i'm not sure if he's been cross training bjj/submission for years but i was very impressed by his raw mechanics of grappling and super impressed by his basic ability to more than hang with a bjj champion no gi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The whizzer he had was able to keep maia pinned for a long time. Quite surprising to see actually.

Good roll, the fact that Maia is an amazing grappler shows that Camillo is a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I didn't keep score but i think Maia would have lost by a very small margin, he was dominated but not many points where scored-Top level Judoka, Olympic level i'm talking are serious grapplers and could hold there own with anyone grappling.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I would have agreed with you in the past Paul, but no-gi and emphasis on ground work I think it's very hit and miss with top level judo people. I think they could be anything from blue to black belt level equivalent (like able to hang with not get submitted and probably dominate from top) bjj.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭RoboRat

i was very impressed by his raw mechanics of grappling and super impressed by his basic ability to more than hang with a bjj champion no gi

Judo has a very good ground game, BJJ was essentially derived from the Judo ground game. I do agree that to grapple to that level without a Gi is really impressive as a lot of the Judo ground game relies on the Gi.

I had to laugh at some of the comments on youtube, it looked like a defence practice for Maia rather than actually sparring and he didn't seem to be looking too hard for a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

training is training
    competing is competing
    those who are successful at the highest levels understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 adelarge1

i agree that training is training and shouldn't be a judge of who is better.
    Still pretty interesting to see to high level grapplers training though.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

certainly is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

Why are some people surprised that a top level Judo guy could hold his own against a top level bjj guy? and yes i do understand that it's training..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

I dont believe that is a fair comparsion for two reasons, marcello garcia is 30 years old in his prime and jimmy pedro is 41, now with the deepest respect, he is well past his prime and also this is marcello garcia, he makes world class bjj bb look bad.

is that a brown belt around jimmy pedros waist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    I dont believe that is a fair comparsion for two reasons
    Well yeah, it's just a short video of them rolling. It's not a competition or anything, they even start from the turtle.

I dont believe that is a fair comparsion for two reasons, marcello garcia is 30 years old in his prime and jimmy pedro is 41, now with the deepest respect, he is well past his prime

You make Makikomi cry (I'm 46 in March) lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

I dont believe that is a fair comparsion for two reasons, marcello garcia is 30 years old in his prime and jimmy pedro is 41, now with the deepest respect, he is well past his prime and also this is marcello garcia, he makes world class bjj bb look bad.

I still don't think it's fair to insinuate that even though Jimmy Pedro going against the best he still could hold his own against any other high level BJJ player, the ground game in Judo is a different dynamic to that of BJJ....for example in Judo there's no open guard, the danger of exposing your back isn't as prevalent, there's no leglocks, you only learn to pass guard from kneeling, all of these thing are essentially holes in the game of a Judoka that high level BJJ players don't have.

I'm not saying that Judo is crap I love Judo, I'm just saying that it's a different dynamic and as far as grappling, BJJ has a more complete game and balanced focused as opposed to that of Judo

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭TEAM RYANO

guys i think we are missing the point in both videos we see guys training not competing ,for me its great guys who are or were at the top of there game training toghter to better one another ,in both videos they are going at a easy friendly pace .
    cheers andy ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

TEAM RYANO wrote: »
    guys i think we are missing the point in both videos we see guys training not competing ,for me its great guys who are or were at the top of there game training toghter to better one another ,in both videos they are going at a easy friendly pace .
    cheers andy ryan

so who would win in a competitive scenario

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I thought maybe the fact that they were both smiling all the way through might have given something away too.

My bet would be that Pedro would win the judo match and Garcia would win the jiu jitsu match. They're just training!

judo 1
    bjj 1

next video please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Gorman

judo 1
    bjj 1

next video please

To be fair I think that Judo guy had been training BJJ on the sly

• Advertisement

Gorman wrote: »

To be fair I think that Judo guy had been training BJJ on the sly

Which judo guy?.

And whats wrong with training judo AND BJJ?.. Nothing sly about it as they're both opposite sides of the same coin really.

Advertisement