Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lyoto Machida

Options
  • 09-02-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Seen this Article on an mma site, just want to get the mma fans thoughts on it. Just give your two cents.

"Inside of the light heavyweight division, I can not think of a single fighter right now who I would pick over Machida. An underrated wrestler and a physically strong man, Machida is nightmare match up for just about anyone in the division:

Chuck Liddell: It would be a slow fight, but in the end it would look a lot like Machida/Silva and Liddell/Evans, in that Liddell's looping punching style would eventually cause him to open up too much and get picked apart by a superior counter puncher. The only benefit for the UFC in making this fight would be to give Machida a boost, but a win over Liddell doesn't mean what it did 18 months ago.

Forrest Griffin: The jack of all trades, master of none is usually able to expose and exploit the weaknesses of his opponents, but he would run into a problem as Machida has no glaring weaknesses. Compounding that is that he is better at every aspect of the game than Griffin is. Keep in mind that I think Griffin is an elite level fighter.

Rashad Evans: He might be the champ right now, but he is the second best fighter in the division. While he has the power to be a threat to anyone, I can not see Machida playing into his counter punching style, instead peppering away and waiting for a chance to finish.

Rampage Jackson: Rampage is another elite level fighter who I do not see causing Machida much problems. Jackson has preferred to keep fights standing lately, using his crisp counter punching to dissect Wanderlei Silva and create a fight of the year contender against Griffin. Counter punching a superior counter punching will A)create a technical, slow paced bout and B)result in a Machida victory. Jackson is hittable, and Machida would hit him.

That is the three top fighters in the division, and a legendary name....all of which I would make big underdogs to Machida. In the toughest division in the sport, THAT is dominance.

Yes, Fedor is great. Yes, GSP is amazing. Yes, Silva is spectacular. But each one of them has been in trouble, each one takes damage in their fights and each one can be beaten.

But, based purely on skill, Machida stands head and shoulders above each of them."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

For my part I can see Rashad taking Machida down where others have failed. I would personally love to see that fight.

I think the article as a whole is being too general, styles make fights and discussing one fighter's ability from how he did against someone else is obviously relevant, you never really know how they will fair against the next person.

No two fights are the same and consequently no fighter is ever the same fighter he was in a previous fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It seems a bit silly to make a list of 4 very talented 205'ers and then choose one guy arbitrarily to beat them all.

Everyone on the list has the relevant tools to beat Machida, on a healthy day and with a good game plan.

Machida isn't a god, and he will suffer a defeat eventually. Is he a great fighter? Yes. But no man is invinceable and speaking about them as if they are is foolish.

Advertisement