Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Title shot for Machida?

2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

true, sorry I contributed to that too.

back on topic (DeV!)

DeV

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As a "new" fan of MMA, all I can say is that I found Machida's fight to be the most entertaining of the night (though I must admit to not having watched a few of the undercard before it).

Its was fascinating to me to see two very different styles go at it. I think its bad if people are down on Machida because of his style of fighting, its his business (and his face) to fight as he sees fit within the rules. That the spirit of MMA as I understand it, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm a big fan of the stand up side but I can also appreciate the wrestling and grappling side. (some of the pre-fight highlights of BJ Penn's submissions were astounding, he was like a spider-monkey!). I'm not at all a fan of the ground-n-pound from the mount position but thats a different story.

My mate calls MMA "hugging" because he doesnt really see the skill involved in the ground game but a fighter like Machida would interest him. Should you encourage people who have a passing interest but no depth of knowledge? Or should you scorn them for their ignorance?

I cant say if Machida deserves a title fight next, I dont know the system of deciding nor the other fighters in his class but I CAN say that when/if he gets his shot, it will be a PPV I will buy.

(Finally something I can talk authoratitvely on... the point of view of a n00b :))

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

DeVore wrote: »
    As a "new" fan of MMA, all I can say is that I found Machida's fight to be the most entertaining of the night (though I must admit to not having watched a few of the undercard before it).

Its was fascinating to me to see two very different styles go at it. I think its bad if people are down on Machida because of his style of fighting, its his business (and his face) to fight as he sees fit within the rules. That the spirit of MMA as I understand it, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm a big fan of the stand up side but I can also appreciate the wrestling and grappling side. (some of the pre-fight highlights of BJ Penn's submissions were astounding, he was like a spider-monkey!). I'm not at all a fan of the ground-n-pound from the mount position but thats a different story.

My mate calls MMA "hugging" because he doesnt really see the skill involved in the ground game but a fighter like Machida would interest him. Should you encourage people who have a passing interest but no depth of knowledge? Or should you scorn them for their ignorance?

I cant say if Machida deserves a title fight next, I dont know the system of deciding nor the other fighters in his class but I CAN say that when/if he gets his shot, it will be a PPV I will buy.

(Finally something I can talk authoratitvely on... the point of view of a n00b :))

DeV.
    I agree about machida.

He's kind of what we thought a badass martial artist is supposed to be - pre mma. The dude even looks like ryu from sf2!

In regards to a title shot, he has 6 consequitive wins inside the octagon. Anderson had 1 before he got a title shot. Machida defo deserves it. The problem is rampage does too.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

I would rather they just came out and said that either Rampage or Machida was next then the other guy, it would clear things up for everyone involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I would rather they just came out and said that either Rampage or Machida was next then the other guy, it would clear things up for everyone involved

That's what they're going to do after Rampage's next fight. It makes no sense to do it before then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Surely Forrest is still in the mix. Rashad was really unimpressive until the fourth round

Rashad seems to be a talented fighter with heart but his real strength is that he is just a brick wall. I've seen him fight a good few times now and he just tires his opponents fist out with his face! (j/king!).
    But seriously, he seems to be able to soak up punishment and has good cardio so I wouldnt be surprised if he relatively improves late in the fight. Thats my reading of it anyway.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Surely Forrest is still in the mix. Rashad was really unimpressive until the fourth round
    The fight only went 3 rounds.

He can be a slow starter sometimes but he always finds a way to win. Forrest needs to get a few wins before he's in the mix again imo.

Rashad and Rampage has the potential to be a great fight.

Rashad and Machida has great potential to be a snooze fest..Would be interesting match though from a technical pov..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

There are rumours floating about he will face Couture at 100 for the title shot. It is just rumours though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Bubs101 wrote: »

Forrest broke his hand in the Rashad fight. I've read that he won't be back until October/November. Thats what I read.

And just an interesting fact about Rashad..... He has never attempted a submission in his UFC career!! :eek: ha.

Evans v Machida is a battle of the undefeated. Love to see it.

Advertisement