Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Forerunner 235 €120 in Argos

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

thefa wrote: »
    Have an Apple Watch that I find can overestimate quite a bit. Eg. ran a marathon and it recorded 43.25km which I wouldn’t expect as big an overshoot.

Would you be coming from another brand?

I have 2 other watches, a cheap xiaomi tracker type thing that I bought before xmas and a polar watch that has served me well for a long time. battery life on the xiaomi is unreal and I had been using that recently but switched to the garmin when I got it. bot the xiaomi and the polar don't record mile or km laps (they tell you the lap in real time but that's it) which is a pain but not the end of the world, the only reason I got the garmin was for the extra data it records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I see that there are two GPS settings, one with GPS on its own, and one that combines GPS with the Russian developed Glonass, which gives access to more satellites. I suppose this must have more bearing on distance accuracy.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I see that there are two GPS settings, one with GPS on its own, and one that combines GPS with the Russian developed Glonass, which gives access to more satellites. I suppose this must have more bearing on distance accuracy.

thanks for that ejmaztec, just noticed that in the settings. i'll switch to that and see if it makes any difference on my next run.

took it out for another whirl today on a 5 mile run, on a straight road, turned back when the watch clocked 2.5 miles and the same stretch of road back down was only clocked as 2.2 miles. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

ooter wrote: »
    took it out for another whirl today on a 5 mile run, on a straight road, turned back when the watch clocked 2.5 miles and the same stretch of road back down was only clocked as 2.2 miles. :)

Could be a dud. If it keeps up bring it back for a replacement.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭event

Lads for people saying you ran longer than a race on your watch, that's a regular occurrence tbh. Races are measured on the racing line, in a marathon you do an awful lot of moving in between people etc so you'd normally run further than the actual distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ooter wrote: »

Some more GPS "stuff" on this page :D

https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=xQvHXbfaT27Zr4hxZDvjv5

"Many of Garmin's outdoor wearable devices offer the choice between Smart Recording or Every Second Recording. This setting refers to the interval at which GPS data is recorded into an activity file."

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Some more GPS "stuff" on this page :D

https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=xQvHXbfaT27Zr4hxZDvjv5

"Many of Garmin's outdoor wearable devices offer the choice between Smart Recording or Every Second Recording. This setting refers to the interval at which GPS data is recorded into an activity file."

thanks, switched to every second recording, will see how I get on with that.
    Before starting an activity allow the device to GPS soak, this means to wait for an additional two minutes after the device reads GPS ready.
    never knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭ParkyJiSung

Anyone looking to get rid of an argos one bought recently get on to me

• Advertisement

some good news, tried it again today on the same road with the new every second recording setting and left the watch GPS "soaking" for an extra few mins before starting the run, clocked 2 miles on the way up and 2 miles on the way back. hopefully it continues to be as accurate as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Itchyness

Some good deals on Garmins from https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/garmin?sort=discount&utm_expid=.ckkRuxI9QieiYxXQHS8d3A.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chainreactioncycles.com%2Fie%2Fen%2Fgarmin%3FkeywordRedirectTerm%3Dgarmin%26_requestid%3D1898249

Save a few quid by buying in £, sign up to the newsletter for an extra £10 off. I got the 645 music for £250 with parcel motel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Looks nice, any idea how this compares to the vivoactive 4?

Advertisement