Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The comedy genius.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

is it possible to separate the artist from the art?

Comedians, in particular, seem to be troubled people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Anthony Cumia is amazing, has such great chemistry with Jim Norton. How he never winded up in standup is crazy.

thankfully. he'd be dead by now. someone would have killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Retro. wrote: »
    He was good

Could someone put up his Rolf Harris video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Bernard Manning

Won't get many thanks for that

It's an Irish discussion forum in 2020, not a northern English pub in 1976, so nope. Besides, even without all the crap racist and xenophobic jokes about 'Pakis' and 'Paddys', a gag-merchant like Manning can hardly be considered a comedy genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's an Irish discussion forum in 2020, not a northern English pub in 1976, so nope. Besides, even without all the crap racist and xenophobic jokes about 'Pakis' and 'Paddys', a gag-merchant like Manning can hardly be considered a comedy genius.

Great comedian impeccable timing

He put on a great act

I'm Irish by the way and I know what year it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He put on a great act

You know what year it is alright, but you we also know what year you wish it still was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

All Bernard Manning did was tell hoary old gags. Hardly a comedy genius.

He put on a great act

He gave his audience (thick racists) what they wanted, but that oft-repeated myth about his timing and delivery is bollocks. Even overlooking the low quality of his jokes (which, to be fair to him, were mostly stolen from other racist comedians), his delivery was dire - monotone and charmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Veep was excellent. I love Louie CK. His new standup where he addresses his #metoo stuff from a couple of years ago is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You do unintentional comedy well at least.

" unintentional " ?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

He seems very unpopular among the kind of people who think the term 'as funny as cancer' is the height of hilarity.

Or course I didn't suggest the phrase was funny, I am saying that Lee is unfunny. In fact he is deliberately unfunny. That is his appeal actually.

Comedy is a bit "low brow" for his audience so they prefer an improving lecture. He has the florid face and mannerisms of a 19th Century British methodist.

FVP3 wrote: »
    Or course I didn't suggest the phrase was funny, I am saying that Lee is unfunny. In fact he is deliberately unfunny. That is his appeal actually.

Comedy is a bit "low brow" for his audience so they prefer an improving lecture. He has the florid face and mannerisms of a 19th Century British methodist.

I'll tell you what - come back and tell me he's 'unfunny' when you've watched this in its entirety:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

went searching for a thread like this, and this is the most recent I've found...

TBH I'd be as much of a fan of Jimmy Carr as I am of Michael McIntyre or Peter Kay... have a laugh when i see them, but not exactly what I'm after

I remember especially liking this bit from Rhod Gilbert though, but it wasn't till I watched it again until I remembered why I liked it so much..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I Know it's old, but Peter Sellers in 'The Party' still gets me every time.

Ricky Gervais for me is a genius, though I didn't get him for years.

Craig Cash and Caroline Aherne were, in my view, groundbreaking. The Royle Family is up there with the funniest TV shows ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭zv2

Withnail and I (film).

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

absolute genius , in fact such a genius we haven't even figured out entirely how much of a genius yet, even his illness and death was genius.

Underrated genius moment was the roast of Bob Saget RIP! he refused to roast in the usual overdone manner and litteraly used jokes from a 1950's joke book ...all night!

Monty Python

Billy Connolly

Richard Prior

Stewart Lee

Norm McDonald

Theo Von - wild card entry-

Steven wright

Bill Burr

Bert Kriesner

George Carlin

Chapelle

South Park

Chris Morris

Charlie Brooker

• Advertisement

that brass eye sketch was definitely our lads Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews

sara silverman was one of his original audiences and she said it was the norm and didn't bother her, but said it became a problem when he did it to the next generation of comics who were rightly horrified!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Before Ricky at the golden globes we had norm at the Espies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The League Of Gentlemen team.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

If it's Netflix box sets you're looking for, Ricky Gervais's Extras is brilliant. Full of great cameos from actors and musicians taking the pi*s out of themselves. There's a fantastic episode where Gervais gets into a celeb nightclub and ends up cosying up to David Bowie, who then turns around and totally humiliates him in front of everyone in the club.

Love Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm series also, though not on Irish netflix - Sky box sets has it.

Dylan Moran is the business as far as Irish comedians go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

No he didn't. He did masturbare in front of some ladies, who he asked permission of .... If that means anything at all.... in the pre show room of an event. Definitely a stupid and deviant thing to do. But no kids involved

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Watching him was like reading a boring joke book.

Tommy Cooper, in the other hand...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's actually possibly to get a negative thanks count...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement