Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claims made on ads that aren't true (nor ever challenged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

harvey normal sale .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Meant to say wiings. Good spot edited
    Oh right, I get you now. To be honest I didn't really notice they changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Those anti ageing creams annoy me cos they never use the type of woman they're trying to appeal to.
    No point advertising anti wrinkle cream for a 50 year old but using a 20 year old model instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

fussyonion wrote: »
    Those anti ageing creams annoy me cos they never use the type of woman they're trying to appeal to.
    No point advertising anti wrinkle cream for a 50 year old but using a 20 year old model instead.

Well they're not miracle creams.... although that's a completely different misadvertising scam right there where they're actually called "Miracle creams". No cream will turn a 50 year old into a 20 year old.

At best they'll turn a 50 year old who looks 60, back into a 50 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sky King wrote: »
    Smart Flies Aer Lingus

I've met some fukin eejits on Aer Lingus flights so that's flagrant false advertising.

Smart who or what flies Aer Lingus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Smart flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Anti aging creams don't work. I put some face cream that claimed to take ten years on my 9 year old niece and she was still there afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

fussyonion wrote: »

Of course, we can't know for sure what actual age the model is.
    She might be 50. Even 60 years old.

Maybe this cream really works.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

“ the best a man can get”.
    Gilette !!

It is not. Loads of products better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

“ the best a man can get”.
    Gilette !!

It is not. Loads of products better imo.

Yes, and the others don’t lecture us on so called “toxic masculinity”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I ate lots of Ready brek as a child but never got that glow
    514382.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

New Home wrote: »
    Most anti-aging face creams. Oh, look at how good your skin will look if you use our unique product, 93.52789% of women can vouch this. For one thing, your models are, like 16 and 3/4 at a push. For another, they are the kind of porcelain-skinned lucky cows (one in a zillion) who have no visible pores whatsoever. For another, you've tested your products on 3 women, one of which said it was "meh".

Not sure if its true but I read before that those anti ageing creams are basically factor 50 sun block that stops UV rays ageing your skin. But once marketed as anti ageing the price of it goes way up compared to regular sun block. Call it 'Norwegian Formula' or some such guff and you can double the profits again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Slightly different but I think it's very cheeky when Aldi compare 2 trolleys, their's full of own brand products and the Tesco trolley is all branded goods.

Then in small writing at the bottom "Own brand products may be available in Tesco"

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MaryKon

Anti-aging is not the same as age-reversing. You'd use anti-aging when you're young and don't want your skin to start looking like a bulldog's rear end to fast. But yea, mostly hydrating cream with trace amounts of other stuff enough to advertise the Q10 co-enzymes and the works. Snake oil.
    On topic, most products targeted at females throw percentages at them that are meant to deceive as the fine print at the bottom at the screen reveals a very small group was actually targeted and the percentages apply to that specific scenario. Much like saying 9 out of 10 men can bench 100kg after eating this protein bar...and then reading that the product was tested on 20 lads, 18 of which are powerlifters and 2 average blokes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    "Kills 99% of bacteria". Its never 93.5% or 100%.
    I think I read that that percentage is determined over a 5 minute period.
    But it kills 100% when given a little more time.

It think it's a mix of what Turing said and the definition of disinfection. To claim a surface is medically disinfected you need a 5log10 reduction in bacteria and a 4log10 reduction in viruses, i.e. from 100,000 to 1, or in other words 99.999% and 99.99% which is why you use this way of describing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

AIB - Backing Brave. Eh no, you're backing the most conservative business plans imaginable from people with massive collateral

AIB.....a fair mortgage..... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

All them ads for eyelash mascara have a barely legible text saying "filmed with lash inserts" after sum actress or model let it slip on sum ad she was acting in that she was wearing them or sumthing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

AIB.....a fair mortgage..... Lol

It is all relative. Irish interest rates are high because of the higher risk the banks face here. It takes years for a bank to repossess a mortgaged residential property even if the mortgage holder isn’t paying a single cent of their mortgage repayment.

There is a reason foreign banks haven’t been queuing up to enter the Irish market in recent years, in fact the opposite, they are selling their mortgage books and leaving the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Red wine marked at 14% alcohol. I have my doubts that be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

It is all relative. Irish interest rates are high because of the higher risk the banks face here. It takes years for a bank to repossess a mortgaged residential property even if the mortgage holder isn’t paying a single cent of their mortgage repayment.

There is a reason foreign banks haven’t been queuing up to enter the Irish market in recent years, in fact the opposite, they are selling their mortgage books and leaving the Irish market.

He might be referencing the tracker scandal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

How the feck do they know that 8 out of 10 cats prefer whicka's?

It's not like the cats can feckin speak to them and let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

randd1 wrote: »
    How the feck do they know that 8 out of 10 cats prefer whicka's?

It's not like the cats can feckin speak to them and let them know.

It hasn't been used as a slogan in a long time (10+ years, maybe longer) by Whiskas.
    They moved to the horribly cumbersome '8 out of 10 cat owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred it'.

Not sure the thread is for old slogans which presumably were challenged, and aren't used any longer.

/very nerdy of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Contrary to their 1980s ads, Irn Bru is not "made from girders" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Any laundry detergent that tells me it can get spaghetti sauce out of my white t-shirt and leave it looking exactly like it does when I bought it is lying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

clostridium perfringens is a fairly common bacteria. It causes greengage. Under ideal conditions it can reproduce in 6.3 minutes. Hot soapy water if you get a cut.

So even if 99% are killed the survivors could repopulate in a little over 44 minutes.
    The greengages are a group of cultivars of the common European plum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Trustee Savings Bank adopted an advertising slogan by which it is still generally remembered today: "The Bank That Likes To Say Yes".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wheety wrote: »
    Slightly different but I think it's very cheeky when Aldi compare 2 trolleys, their's full of own brand products and the Tesco trolley is all branded goods.

Then in small writing at the bottom "Own brand products may be available in Tesco"

this family saved 5 million euro a month switching to aldi
    how much were they spending in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

keano_afc wrote: »
    Any laundry detergent that tells me it can get spaghetti sauce out of my white t-shirt and leave it looking exactly like it does when I bought it is lying to me.

Dropped a tiny speck of pizza sauce on a white t-shirt yesterday. Washed it straight away with detergent from a manufacturer that claims to get whites back to being white. Took it out of the machine and the stain is still there. Liars, every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

keano_afc wrote: »
    Dropped a tiny speck of pizza sauce on a white t-shirt yesterday. Washed it straight away with detergent from a manufacturer that claims to get whites back to being white. Took it out of the machine and the stain is still there. Liars, every one.

Some of those sauce stains are oil based, like mayonaise for example. You can wash them in whatever you like but you'll never get the stain fully out. If it's a good or expensive T-shirt, ask your drycleaner, he'll sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Stuff that has "AS SEEN ON TV" on the box, I've never seen them on tv.

Advertisement