Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Motorway Limerick to Cork in capital plan

Options
  • 30-09-2015 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Is it a joke that this road has not been included in the capital plan announced yesterday?

Seems to be the only inter city motorway missing in the country at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Its more than a joke - its an absolute disgrace.

How many more lives have to be lost on that road before something is done about it. I was saying to hubby last night, I think it needs to be made an election issue.

I know someone here (I apologise, I can't remember your name) suggested a spur from the M20 to the M8 near Fermoy which would be a relatively cost efficient option.

If the motorway from Limerick to Cork was created/completed it would mean that we would also link Galway to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Theres has to be political will of some kind.

I wonder in the background are they worried that Limerick and Cork will take too much away from Dublin.

Imagine the economic benefit to the area having the cities linked!

We are way more competitive for business and employees in terms of plenty of office space, good broadband connections, Link to 2 airports via motorway, cheaper rents and several universities. Not to mind both cities are easier to traverse than Dublin.

But we couldn't have all the jobs going to the region of Limerick now could we!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I suppose a positive is that if we allowed those areas "outside the pale" develop, it might reduce the astronomical rents (and traffic jams) in the Greater Dublin area....

Galway, Limerick and Cork are three fabulous cities, with three innovative and forward looking universities and a large pool of highly educated people. They should be linked with something bigger than a 2-lane tractor route.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Drove the n20 on a Friday afternoon. Oh my god that was an awful experience. I'll stick to the bally landers route because there won't be a motorway anytime soon built or even promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Berty wrote: »
    Drove the n20 on a Friday afternoon. Oh my god that was an awful experience. I'll stick to the bally landers route because there won't be a motorway anytime soon built or even promised.

I always use the Ballylanders/Mitchelstown route myself. It's a far nicer drive than the N20.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭ForestFire

billymagic wrote: »
    Is it a joke that this road has not been included in the capital plan announced yesterday?

Seems to be the only inter city motorway missing in the country at this stage.

While I don't disagree with you thread, maybe you are forgetting that Waterford is also a city and missing links?

Waterford - Cork
    Waterford - Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

cronin_j wrote: »
    Theres has to be political will of some kind.

I wonder in the background are they worried that Limerick and Cork will take too much away from Dublin.

Imagine the economic benefit to the area having the cities linked!

We are way more competitive for business and employees in terms of plenty of office space, good broadband connections, Link to 2 airports via motorway, cheaper rents and several universities. Not to mind both cities are easier to traverse than Dublin.

But we couldn't have all the jobs going to the region of Limerick now could we!?!

This country really ought to be called 'The Republic of Dublin'. F*ck the rest of the country, all that matters is that precious Dublin is cloaked in a holy veil.

Maybe we're being two harsh on them..... I mean maybe it's a stupid idea linking other large cities together via motorway, as well as providing a modern link for the west to Cork. Shame on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The fact is we have way overdeveloped 1 city, which has all the problems associated with that, we have failed to grow the regional cities.

Part of the problem is that all vital decisions are centralised in Dublin, but the regional cities must accept responsibility for this also, some people in Cork think Limk/Galway are a rival city for IDA investment and infrastructure, in Limerick some people believe that Galway and Cork are the rivals etc etc, all the while Dublin is getting "fatter"...

The reality is that the regional cities should be lobbying as a group... because Dublin on its own can out maneuver any single city but it can't out maneuver all of them together.

For instance, we should all have the same Urban political infrastructure, but we don't, Irish cities have no control over city boundaries...no control over housing policies, no control over law enforcement..what I mean by that is if Central Government decides it is not going to pursue white collar criminals then the same applies all over the state, which allows a rot to set in and do damage...

The biggest problem is our very own parochial mentality...it is holding us back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

The biggest problem is our very own parochial mentality...it is holding us back...
    Your right, but finding a way to formulate that in a positive way is hard. Government might sit in Dublin, but its not making particular decisions to favour Dublin. The resources go into the regions, at the expense of all cities.

If Waterford city can't get regional acceptance from Kilkenny for a boundary change, or Limerick from Clare, then the lack of regional synergy is the first problem. Clare was happy enough to get the Shannon Free Zone in its day, regardless of the damage that did to Limerick City, which would not have gone unnoticed over the years - for example, back in 1970
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail1970052100004?opendocument

<..>Up to now the grants available for new industries in the industrial estate at Shannon were very much greater than those which applied in Limerick city. This put us at a considerable disadvantage when we were competing for new industries.<..>
    Not so long ago, Government spent €100 million on a Western Rail Corridor that is largely unused. That could have made some kind of contribution to updating the Cork Limerick road (I think the full budgeted cost of an M20 is €850 million).

But the starting point has to be regional coherence. If people in Kerry see no point in concentration on Cork City, or Mayo people in Galway City, then change won't occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

the excuse used yesterday that at 850 million is too expensive is bollox as well.

The motorways leading to Dublin weren't all built in one go, the bigger bottle necks were by passed one at a time, Roscrea, Portlaoise, Monesterevan etc .... all one by one.

At the very least Buttervant and Charleville should be by passed first and join up the remainder over time.

The only possible light at the end of the tunnel here is that independents will hold the balance of power in the next dail so if there are one or two hanging around south limerick, north Cork they could do a Healy-Rae on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Limerick to Waterford road is a disgrace as well

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Bicycle wrote: »

If the motorway from Limerick to Cork was created/completed it would mean that we would also link Galway to Cork.

This is a major point that is often overlooked in this. With a completed M20 linked to the almost complete M/N18, we would be linking the second, third and fourth cities in the country, with a combined population of over 1 million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

ForestFire wrote: »
    While I don't disagree with you thread, maybe you are forgetting that Waterford is also a city and missing links?

Waterford - Cork
    Waterford - Limerick

Yes, you are correct about the often forgotten Waterford. A decent road between Waterford-Cork to link into the N20 would potentially be of great benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

h3000 wrote: »
    I always use the Ballylanders/Mitchelstown route myself. It's a far nicer drive than the N20.

Yep its a great drive and is nearly a national route, with the amount of traffic using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's a petition set up to put some pressure on the government to get the finger out with regards to upgrading the N20.

It probably won't be worth the paper it's written on but at worst it can't do any harm signing the petition.

Hopefully, the road will actually become an election issue in both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yep its a great drive and is nearly a national route, with the amount of traffic using it.

I used to use it when working myself on the fermoy to watergrasshill motorway section and used to ironically get annoyed at getting stuck in fermoy traffic because they put my laboratory on the other side. Typical. Haha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

My understanding of the capital announcements during the week was that it was mostly stuff that was already planned it's just they've grouped it into one to look good.

Advertisement