Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Gen Leap Ticketing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

bk wrote: »
    Well Cubic were already awarded the contract

I don't think that's related to contactless ticketing:
    Cubic will be responsible for providing a mobile phone application that will enable public transport customers to purchase a range of tickets through their phone and be able to hold and present the ticket on the phone.
    bk wrote: »
    Also I don't think it will require new Luas and DART ticket machines. It is fundamentally using the same technology as leap cards RFID/NFC. But yes, it would require updated back end systems.

It might be the same hardware but totally new firmware at the very least. And that's assuming that the existing hardware is PTS certified (which is probably isn't). The current back-end was built entirely for Leapcard schemes, it won't be an update to make it support contactless, it will likely be an entirely new backend running in parallel. That was the way TfL approached it in London so it would probably be the same here. Rolling out contactless here will be an expensive, long running project - it's not going to happen overnight.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

markpb wrote: »
    I don't think that's related to contactless ticketing:

Their press release says:
    Cubic’s mobile ticketing solution enables multimodal transportation through an integrated user interface. The mobile ticketing app enables travelers to easily purchase tickets and manage their online accounts. Cubic’s world-class mobile ticketing system is deployed and being rolled out in several major cities including Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Chicago, New York, Cologne, Germany and Brisbane, Australia.

The mobile ticketing system they have deployed in the above list of countries is support for apple pay and google pay and the above mentioned Transit Express feature. Notably in London and New York.

You are correct in that it doesn't say 100%. It could be some rubbish QR based app, but I'd hope not.
    markpb wrote: »
    It might be the same hardware but totally new firmware at the very least. And that's assuming that the existing hardware is PTS certified (which is probably isn't). The current back-end was built entirely for Leapcard schemes, it won't be an update to make it support contactless, it will likely be an entirely new backend running in parallel. That was the way TfL approached it in London so it would probably be the same here. Rolling out contactless here will be an expensive, long running project - it's not going to happen overnight.

Well we have gone from all new hardware, to just a firmware update!

I agree it won't be overnight and that it will require a new backend system and will likely take a few years to complete.

And so what? Either way they need to move with the times and it needs to be done. I'm delighted that we are finally seeing movement on this.

Advertisement