Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

It’s on Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,040 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sad to see this. Spent many summer days on that beach in the 80's and 90's never seen anything like this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

I don't find that adequate at all....the punishment absolutely doesn't fit the crime or act as a deterrent subsequent to his 18 months.

The system should make people think twice before doing that at all and if they do then the punishment should be a deterrent for reoffending and a deterrent for any other would be scumbags.

Money removed from social welfare, privileges withdrawn, requirement to show up/sign on at garda Station daily for years with valid ID (and perhaps automate that)...minimum 20 hours community work and social hit even harder if work not done etc etc

Hassle the absolute **** out of them after they serve their prison sentence and don't make the sentence a cakewalk either

Or else, eye for an eye on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

On twitter the usual nutters are all talking about New Irish and our unvetted friends being the ones causing the disruption. I watched a bit of it and all I could see was our usual skinny little dublin scumbag teenagers with the usual handbags. I know that beach attracts a lot of Brazilians in good weather and they always seem to behave themselves in groups but also don't seem to take any sh*t off Irish teenagers, unlike Irish people who tend to look the other way and are afraid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Hodger

I went to see the new fast and furious film Saturday evening, while the film itself was good and I look forward to the next sequel In the series, one thing ruined it for me teenagers. Teenagers down the back row talking loudly during the whole film and one of them answering phone taking a call during the middle of a film that people paid money to watch, I said it to a member of staff they came down took a look but didn't do anything, as the staff member was a student young 20s age demographic. After that negative cinema experience because of teenagers nah I won't going back again and will stick to streaming instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

No we don’t. We have plenty of revenue already. We just have to adjust our spending priorities.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The whole justice system needs to be rebuilt from teh ground up.

Every division where there is expected trouble like yesterdays should have a water cannon - that would cool them down quickly.

Take their parents dole for a couple of months if they dont reign the kids in.

Every guard should have a tazer or stun gun and be allowed to use it without having to report every incident to GSOC.

Body cams for guards and the law needs to be changed so that body cam footage is allowed as evidence.

Build a supermax style prison and close Mountjoy etc - a 10,000 inmate prison would do us somewhere in the middle of the country or on one of the off shore unused islands.

Mandatory minimum sentencing has to be introduced along with a 3/5/10 strikes and youre out. No more people waking around with hundreds of convictions. Give the garda back their authority because the way I see it they have lost it completely. Police need to be allowed police and not be afraid of repercussions from their managers.

• Advertisement

Nasty fight on the Quays in Dublin yesterday. Stabbing by the look of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I suppose you are referring to a fight which happened on Aston Quay.

From what I have read here; it does look like a particularly nasty outcome for the victim.

It happened at about 3:30pm yesterday. The victim was aged in his early 30's. There were about 10 people going up to help him after the incident according to a report in The Journal.ie.

We don't the motive yet for this incident. If it's being reported to be a large group of men involved in the attack. Would you think that a large number of them would be teenagers or older than that?

Only saw a bit of the video but a few of them look quite young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I was listening to coverage about this on Newstalk yesterday. It took the Garda nearly 1 hour and 30 mins to show up according to many listeners that dialed 999.

Many listeners (probably locals) pointed to the fact that it's likely the Garda could not get there fast due to the cycling infra around Sutton, citing there isn't enough room for emergency vehicles to pass when it's congested.

It should also be noted that there were council trucks down at the beach yesterday morning clearing up all the rubbish. (they were completely full and the beach wasn't even completely cleaned.) 🙄

Who's kids are these?

It's a Dublin tradition that gangs of teenagers go to beaches in affluent areas during good weather and kick off. I remember being on a beach in Killiney in what must have been '97, I was 16, and a load of scumbags from Crumlin were bating the heads off each other and we had to leggit before we got involved.

I think perhaps it must be somewhat worse now as Social Media allows them to congregate in big groups easier.

What's baffling me is that any news article published about Burrow beach just has every commenter under it blaming foreigners for it. All I can see are skinny white Irish kids fighting. Same with the attack on the quays. There seems to be a whole cohort of people now that just blame everything bad in Ireland on foreigners even when the truth is staring them in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Agree, it's 100% NOT foreigners

This shite has been going on for years, so long in fact the council was prepared for all the rubbish left behind.

It's Irish kids.

• Advertisement

Its absolutely Irish kids. Always brawls on beaches. Brittas in the 90s it was every weekend. The police never showed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Homeless man murdered by teen in ongar last night. Feral is an understatement for some teens.

the "why no description of the attacker????" brigade have gone quiet on Twitter etc. It's mad how this cohort of people are just praying that any crime is done by a foreigner so they can try and prove themselves right these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Not Enough prisons/prison space has a lot to do with people getting to the stage of becoming murderers .

And some free legal aid solicitor will say the person doing the stabbing last night isnt a bad guy really( for the right Fee) !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Do You think if you asked random foreigners what they thought of when they they thought of Ireland, child abuse would be in the top 20, even top 50?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

probably not, but people don't think of foreigners raping everyone when they think of sweden either, well apart from the irish patriot brigade on twitter - that was what i was responding to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It says here that a teenager has been arrested by Gardaí in Blanchardstown today on suspicion of murder.

The homeless man was believed to be involved in an argument between a group of men, who were presumably teenagers, at around 7pm last night.

Seems like we are catching up on the UK with knife crime - murders.

Teenager knifes a man to death on a Tuesday evening in Dublin & in Cork city on Wednesday evening another man is knifed & in life threatening condition.

Too few guards-Soft on Crime Judges- Too Little Prison space - Moral less Free Legal Aid solicitors all part of the problem .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It seems the Cork man stabbed has died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Everybody hold hands approach to teenagers doing what they want is going well. I enjoy watching them flying up and down the road here every day on robbed bikes with no helmets etc. Wheelies straight past ballymun garda Station and through every red light while likely delivering drugs. Sure they are just scamps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

breaks his victims bones in a deliberate and prolonged attack, ahhh sure, he was only 16. 🙄

that’s the judicial mindset. No custodial sentence.

break someone’s bones in a deliberate and unprovoked attack. Victim has to have two surgeries and out of work for a year… 500 quid won’t pay for a months rent for the victim ..

the perpetrator has the ‘possibility of employment’… wtf sort of defence is that ? The majority of people in the country have ‘the possibility of employment’….

The ‘possibility’… you couldn’t make it up 🤪

" You Couldnt make it up "

You'll find Free Legal Aid solicitors are excellent at making it up !! With no regard for Society!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

The consequences of not ensuring teenage murderers spend the remainder of their lives in jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

It's just a mental illness. If we were nicer to him and gave him everything he needed he would have totally ended up a lovely productive member of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Also evidence that the current custodial system that is focussed primarily on detention as a form of punishment and deterrence does not work.

Before anyone loses their sh*t, I want to go on record right now, that given the circumstances, this man should not have been let out of prison. I think for serious crimes such as murderer and rape, the attacker should pass a proper psychiatric exam as to whether they are fit to join society. I believe this man would have failed those tests. I would also consider that this man was possibly institutionalised after being in prison from the age of 16 to 37.

As unpalatable as it is to many, the current system doesn’t work and leads to recidivism.

There needs to be a change where the main purpose of detention is rehabilitation. Whether this person rejoins society or not is moot. IF they are to rejoin society in 20 years or whatever, for the good of society, they need to be rehabilitated. If they are NOT to rejoin society, for the good of the prison population, including guards, rehabilitation should also be attempted.

Detention works perfectly. It's literally impossible to commit further crimes against members of the public while in jail.

A 'proper psychiatric exam' with the same level of success does not exist.

If the probation service claim to have one, let their officers commit to serving the same sentence as the criminals they release if re-offending occurs.

I suspect a low pass rate under those circumstances.

But detention doesn’t work perfectly.

It may prevent further crimes against member of public while in jail, but what after they get released? Where’s the forward thinking there?

Or are you saying everyone who is in prison for any type of assault be imprisoned for life to protect the public?

For the type of crime detailed in the article I posted, absolutely.

So you're saying manslaughter should be a whole life sentence, regardless of age, with no chance of parole?

If I may be so bold to ask then, why not just kill them? It costs money (quite a lot of money) to house prisoners.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So the little scumbag didnt sit his junior cert exams - exactly as I said he would. And missed his sentencing hearing today.

His solicitor Niall Walsh said he had spoken to the parents, who were not in court. He said the boy largely abided by his bail terms, but the judge noted he had also missed Junior Cert exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And even though he has now broken his bail and agreements with the court, and a bench warrant has been issued causing more cost and work for the state, it'll be "taken into account" during sentencing. He's **** laughing at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I agree that change is needed in that regard as well as sentencing. I think that they shouldn't be allowed out until they have obtained a degree or a serious qualification in some kind of work.

Visitations should be a reward and not a right. Their families are the biggest part of their problems so access should be restricted to the bare minimum.

I expect that currently they are just all left to rot and spend most of the time meeting new scum friends and making plans for more criminality upon release.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

He "largely abided by his bail terms"

The f**k kind of defence is that, he should fully abide by the terms.of his bail, that's the whole bloody point, you don't get to pick and choose when you sign on or what days you choose to abide by a curfew.

Any unexplained breach should be considered enough to keep him in custody, because he clearly doesn't give a sh*te and as stated is just laughing at all of us.

• Advertisement

The Free legal Aid solicitor is also having a good laugh at the yarns they told to get him Bail so he can abscond!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

not just him laughing at us...whole family,circle of mates and his solicitor are bursting their holes...at this stage id say theres alot to be said for chain gangs

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

Chain gangs would be too goodm, they might build up muscle. Sitting down, cracking pebbles with a tiny hammer. Why? Just cuz. No reason. Just do it, because you've proven you can't partake in a civilised society. Include the soft approach by having the people to talk to inbetween. But no tv/radio/gym etc, just breaking pebbles all day. Learn a trade, no problem. Otherwise, break pebbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Needs to be put away for a long time. Knows he won’t though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Not sure about that, a totally unprovoked attack on a total stranger with serious health implications for the victim, he's going to be looking at a serious charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Nah he’ll get a suspended sentence and a finger wagged in his face

Young scumbags are above the law, we’ve seen it time and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Great to see this going to the circuit court rather than children’s court. As if at the age of 15 you don’t know robbing a car and crashing into Gardaí is wrong or illegal.

Enjoyed the bit where his defence raised how he has “Oppositional Defiant Disorder” - this must be the new bolloxology catch all excuse for being a piece of shít.

“Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is a type of behavior disorder. It is mostly diagnosed in childhood. Children with ODD are uncooperative, defiant, and hostile toward peers, parents, teachers, and other authority figures.” - Back in my day (I’m in my 20s) that was simply known as being a brat. Yer man is also from a “loving, stable family” so none of the other usual excuses.

Will be interesting to see how things unfold.

I love how he's "maintaining his innocence" yet it's serious enough to go to the Circuit Court. Delighted. And yeah, laughed at the ODD part myself. Didn't know the definition until above, but sounds like acting the bollix is now called ODD. Probably end up with a slap on the wrist anyway, but hopefully something good will come of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Serious charge but a short sentence served, 2 or 3 years served at most.

Thats funny.

"Oppositional defiant disorder" - Is that not just teenage rebellious behaviour.

If it is then I think I had ODD as a teenager. As did every single teenager ever including my own 2 now and my 2 previous ones (now in their 20s) - totally defiant , uncooperative ,hostile towards the whole world etc - but they dont go around ramming Garda cars and never did.

Hes just a little scumbag and maybe being tried as an adult will sort him out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement