Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacks; Rucksacks and/or Suitcase queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clmitchell

Ikea have a 40L backpack with wheels called the "Backpack on wheels UPPTÄCKA". Sorry, boards.ie won't let me send you the link, but just google it. Hope this is what you're looking for, good price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

clmitchell wrote: »
    Ikea have a 40L backpack with wheels called the "Backpack on wheels UPPTÄCKA". Sorry, boards.ie won't let me send you the link, but just google it. Hope this is what you're looking for, good price too.

This is the one: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/ikea-family-products/travel/upptäcka-backpack-on-wheels-dark-grey-art-50217766/
    I had something very similar once (though smaller), very useful it was. This one unfortunately is slightly too big for Ryanair so not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Debenhams have a good sale on Tripp luggage. Comes with a 5 year guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ronin1980

Okay I want to thank everyone for all your help, in the end I went with a "High Sierra Wheeled Tehachapi2 Backpack Trolley". You can find it on Amazon UK. It holds 41 Litres, opens like a suitcase, seems to have soft padded sides and has a padded laptop compartment along with having the backpack straps and roller trolley. I'll be able to tell you more in a day or two when it gets delivered. I won't be able to post any pics or links here because I'm a new user but I'll try and put a couple of pictures on Amazon as part of a review

Ronin1980 wrote: »
    Okay I want to thank everyone for all your help, in the end I went with a "High Sierra Wheeled Tehachapi2 Backpack Trolley". You can find it on Amazon UK. It holds 41 Litres, opens like a suitcase, seems to have soft padded sides and has a padded laptop compartment along with having the backpack straps and roller trolley. I'll be able to tell you more in a day or two when it gets delivered. I won't be able to post any pics or links here because I'm a new user but I'll try and put a couple of pictures on Amazon as part of a review

This thing? Careful of the strap on the top.

I've had a smaller High Sierra backpack for about six months, and just last Thursday the top strap broke. Fortunately it was while I was moving it around in my hotel room, not while I was getting on a train or doing something else critical.

Although I have been using it a lot, often manhandling it by the top strap, and with 5-6 kg inside, I would have expected it to last a bit longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Hi all ,

Hitting the road to Europe and Asia next week. Can anyone recommend a good backpack for long term travel

I am currently looking at the Vango 80+20 (139 EURO), Lowe Alpine AT voyager 70+15 (200 EURO)

Any help appreciated

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

just back from se asia.Used a 32L north face backpack for 2 months there.It was plenty big for what I needed.
    It was used as carry on luggage on planes and always with me on buses and trains.
    The big ATM sized packs are way to heavy in my opinion.
    Travel light.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

stratowide wrote: »
    just back from se asia.Used a 32L north face backpack for 2 months there.It was plenty big for what I needed.
    It was used as carry on luggage on planes and always with me on buses and trains.
    The big ATM sized packs are way to heavy in my opinion.
    Travel light.

Personal choice obviously but I'd prefer a bigger bag but pack relatively light...you don't necessarily have to fill it, the extra space is handy so you don't have to squash everything in tight, plus if you're going to different places with different climates you'll need heavier clothes.

I'd recommend a reliable brand like Lowe Alpine or North Face.....you get what you pay for (went the cheaper route before and wasn't worth it). And a bag that opens fully like a suitcase, makes life a lot easier on a long trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Any pack over about 60L starts to get way bulky and a pain to carry. Also, I prefer to have a separate day bag that can strap to the main bag for convenience.

I spent many years traveling with a cheap, 45L backpack I got from an army surplus store in Dublin. This was great because it was super durable, looked like something you didn't want to investigate, and you could strap anything to it. On the other hand, the load bearing wasn't great, especially in the hips. Hiking a long distance was tough on the shoulders.

Now I have a very comfortable Boreas Lost Coast pack, which can fit a lot (55-60L on the inside, and all your camping gear on the outside). It's actually a little too big, you can end up carrying to much, a 50L pack would have been better. But it's great for hiking, I've taken it on multi-day trips in the jungle or through the mountains, with camping gear, food, everything... It's easy to find in the airport, but it's obviously a rich tourist bag and will stick out in places like India, and is likely to catch the eye of a thief.

So pick your poison! If you want it mostly for hiking, take a nice comfy-to-carry bag. If you want it for cities in Asia, I highly recommend something cheap, durable and inconspicuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Solo89

Hi all. First post on here. I have picked out a nice lowe alpine bagpack 35lt plus 10. While pricey at 140e, i think it will be worth it in the long run.

Just one question - do you think this 35lt bagpack would be able to taken on as carry on luggage on most planes? Would be a great added advantage for buying.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Solo89 wrote: »
    Hi all. First post on here. I have picked out a nice lowe alpine bagpack 35lt plus 10. While pricey at 140e, i think it will be worth it in the long run.

Just one question - do you think this 35lt bagpack would be able to taken on as carry on luggage on most planes? Would be a great added advantage for buying.

Thanks!

I've used a very tightly packed 32L pack on many different airlines.Never stopped once or even asked to measure or weigh it.
    You will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Solo89

Great thanks stratowide. I expected as much. I was on a flight recently to biarritz and i couldnt believe the bagpacks ryanair were letting on as cabin luggage ( ppl doing the camino etc) They were def a 35lt plus i would have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi

Am looking for something to carry while out sight- seeing / exploring the city.

Looking for something that will hold a water bottle on the side,as a must... So manny have no facility for same. Also waterproof / with rain cover .

Mainly used for carrying the usual stuff of keys, wallet, jacket etc... No need for laptop etc. just a walk-around backpack that will be comfortable to carry

Any recommendations for me.... Budget up up to €60 or so

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭otterj

https://lowealpine.com/uk/backpacking/cholatse-45

This looks pretty decent, a bit expensive but looks like a good investment. Anyone have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

otterj wrote: »
    https://lowealpine.com/uk/backpacking/cholatse-45

This looks pretty decent, a bit expensive but looks like a good investment. Anyone have one?

I got this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Verden-45-Mens-Rucksack/dp/B003AM8DMM

but managed to get it for about €70 delivered if I remember correctly!

Great backpack. Well padded.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭otterj

I got this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Verden-45-Mens-Rucksack/dp/B003AM8DMM

but managed to get it for about €70 delivered if I remember correctly!

Great backpack. Well padded.

Is it comfortable to carry around? I find the mesh backing is very comfortable on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

otterj wrote: »
    Is it comfortable to carry around? I find the mesh backing is very comfortable on the back

Yeah I'm only 5ft 3 but had no problems carrying this. Didn't find it too heavy at any times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

hi
    can someone recommend a lockable backpack for 6 weeks in se asia?

the ones ive looked at online dont seem to be lockable (is there even such a thing as a lockable back pack)

hi
    can someone recommend a lockable backpack for 6 weeks in se asia?

the ones ive looked at online dont seem to be lockable (is there even such a thing as a lockable back pack)
    The pull tabs on zips usually have holes that allow you to attach a small, cheap travel padlock (for sections that have two zips).

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Would boardies who travel frequently recommend a Hard or Soft suitcase for a 2 week holiday in AU. Medium Size I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My main concern is the weight of the case. For this reason, a soft one is lighter and allows more to be packed.

Found this one really light http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9139408/Trail/searchtext%3ELIGHT+SUITCASE.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Hey guys

So after 6 1/2 years of loyal service my MEI voyageur has reached its end and it's time for me to replace and hopefully improve on it. I am hoping you guys can help as I have not had to think about this since 2010.

So what I am looking for? Features that I regard as minimum requirements.

I want a side loader bag.

I don't really want to go over 45 litres, anything over 50 litre is an absolute non starter. In saying that I am open to a bag with an attached daypack that goes over 50 in total but I still really don't want the main backpack over 45l.

The voyageur was very minimalist with just 2 compartments. There was something to be said for that but I as plan to do a good bit of hiking/camping I want more and something that may help with sleeping bag/tents etc.

No wheels.

YKK zip(s).

Something that is optional but you could do with voyageur is zip the straps up and hide them in such a way that it looks more like a suitcase. This was nice when trying to not check a bag in and go hand held only( like I managed to do on its final journey even though it was over the limit. It only matters if they weight it!) but tbh I never used that feature very much at all over the years so while handy it's not a deal breaker if that is not possible which likely isn't for most bags.

Aside from that I am open to anything. I appreciate any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irlray

Hi
    Does anyone know of a shop in Dublin that sells lockable travel covers for backpacks. For extra security in the airport

For example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141651576262

I need to pick one up before the weekend

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Can't find a lockable one anywhere. Seems to be just drawstring rain covers.

Would something like this suffice if you locked your zips?

http://www.outdooradventurestore.ie/products/rucksacks/rucksack_accessories/rucksack_raincover-5477.html

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

can anyone recommend a wheelie suitcase that is ryanair sized? cheap and light please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Looking for some information on a suitcase I saw recently !!!!!!

It's 4 wheels, spinning and a telescopic handle.
    BUT the handle is at an angle, rather than parallel to the case.
    It must make it a lot easier to operate.

Tried on line but cant see one anywhere..

Any ideas ???

Thanks

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Maybe the handle was bent?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

No, there are purpose built holes in the suitcase top frame.

Thanks

Jay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Available with tokens in SuperValu.

Does anyone know anything about this brand. Strangely there's not much online. I thought they were a well known brand? Can't find their website, can't find reviews, can't find anywhere selling them :confused:

There are some products on Amazon but it's strange they are not more widely available. Maybe whenever I've seen the backpacks, they were bought in the last Supervalu promotion?

https://supervalu.ie/rewards/collect-points/ellehammer-luxury-luggage-range

0745_spv_elleh_last_prices_web_banner_980x400.jpg

Advertisement