Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best punk band ever !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Mine were/are still.....

All of the above mentioned and:

The Exploited: Punks not Dead

&

Crass.............

TJ911...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

haha so a combination of "punk's not dead" and "punk is dead" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ttomasso

as for the best non-english singing group I would definately nominate german Die Aerzte. They are simply deadly.

Tomas
    -
    ...*snip*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

whoever said anti flag should be put down, they whine more than alanis morisette, if you're gonna sing political lyrics at least have the grace to sing about you know...politics...instead of 'no one listens to me, blah blah blah' its good music but it just gets incredibly hard to listen to after a while and as for nofx, they were pretty good between 89 and 99, the decline was the most ironic song ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Discharge had some great stuff, i know the more hardened punks will moan about the fact that they were a bit more metal than punk towards the end; but they still had some classiscs.

'Never Again'- one of the best 'core songs you'll ever hear.

Stricknein D.c. are not only my fave irish punk band, they're one of my favourites of all time; Runnin Riot also have their moments but sometimes they're a bit too '10 pints and a kebab''for my liking.

I like The Clash, but are they really punk? I'm not saying you have to be punk to make great music, and as I said I like the clash- but when I think of Punk-music the clash are far from my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

ttomasso wrote: »
    as for the best non-english singing group I would definately nominate german Die Aerzte. They are simply deadly.

Oi Polloi's latest album is amazing. Defintly their best album on a musical basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 creepinshadow

karlrules wrote: »
    The best punk band ever in my opinion is the clash. No one can beat them. Here are a few of their videos live and if you listen to the normal tracks you'll see the way joe strummer changes some words and different things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daPov16MCpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL7wzYvnKSw

i dont no about the clash, paramore rock. the clash a bit out of style

Style? Since when has punk been about style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 creepinshadow

by style i mean in touch with the next generation along with its own, so when i say there out of style i mean, there not in touch with the generation of punks that exists in this new day and age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

They're not out of touch. It's the children who are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Auh badger - it's very hard not to get enveloped in the whole 'What was Punk/What wasn't punk debate' - Personally, The Clash are one of my favourite bands. It's debatable whether or not they were 'true' punks...in fact if you watch the Julian Cope film about Joe Strummer, you'd probably come down on the side of 'Not Punk'...Yea, they used the whole Punk thing as a great stage and to great effect but in hindsight they weren't what you would call 'Punk to the Core - But to me that was a good thing as lots of English bands(I'm thinking of The Exploited here), ended up sounding like bad metal bands by the time the early 1990's had come around whereas other's like The Clash evolved...only problem is, no-one evolved quite so majestically as they did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

KIVES wrote: »
    Auh badger - it's very hard not to get enveloped in the whole 'What was Punk/What wasn't punk debate' - Personally, The Clash are one of my favourite bands. It's debatable whether or not they were 'true' punks...in fact if you watch the Julian Cope film about Joe Strummer, you'd probably come down on the side of 'Not Punk'...Yea, they used the whole Punk thing as a great stage and to great effect but in hindsight they weren't what you would call 'Punk to the Core - But to me that was a good thing as lots of English bands(I'm thinking of The Exploited here), ended up sounding like bad metal bands by the time the early 1990's had come around whereas other's like The Clash evolved...only problem is, no-one evolved quite so majestically as they did...

I totally agree with you KIVES, The Clash were the greatest Punk band ever.RIP Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

The Radiators From Space!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jamon

Bad Religion. They're stubborn, not too good at their instruments, they've got the punk ethos.
    I also like their music, nearly all of it.

Black Flag are also great as are the Germs.

Yours,
    Jamon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 silverwing

For me...

Discharge
    Poison Idea
    Cryptic Slaughter
    Agnostic Front
    Cro-Mags
    Bad Religion
    Misfits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Husker Du.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Conflict LP: The Ungovernable Force
    If you havnt heard it you really owe it to yourself to track this album down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

left the punk scene years ago to melt my brain with e's and dance music but i still listen to punk to unwind...heres my favourite list anyways:
    1--crass
    2-conflict
    3-subhumans/citizen fish/culture shock
    4-angelic upstarts
    5-dead kennedy's

one of my favourite 'local' punk bands were called ciunas and i think they were from lucan but not sure

well thats my 5 cents

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    one of my favourite 'local' punk bands were called ciunas and i think they were from lucan but not sure
    Have a Ciunas album. Quality isn't great on it, but sound like they would have been deadly live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jamon

I just found out about the Misfits. I bought Collection 1 on vinyl. I think that hatebreeders would be my favourite so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The Devil wrote: »
    Stiff Little Fingers.

Definitely agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

Not one mention for Ghetto Defendant in this thread.

Useless.

The song? We're talkin about bands here....

I assume there's a band called that too? Must be, because I can't imagine how anyone could think the song was the best anything.

Could find no mention of em on the internets if there is one. Maybe it's some uber-coool underground band we aren't cooooool enough to know about :P

No I mean the Clash song, its brilliant.

"Best Punk Band Ever" :P
    I vote you start another thread for songs.

The OP wasn't asking for your opinions by the looks of things, as far as bands were concerned anyway. He was saying The Clash were best and wanted to know your favorite songs by that band(check out the first page, its all there).

I agree with the OP, and my favorite Clash song is Ghetto Defendant, as I stated. I dunno where your confusion is coming from.

I'm not confused. You're posting off topic. The thread's title is "the best punk band ever". I'm not sure if that can be any more self explanatory.

Oh well.

• Advertisement

karlrules wrote: »
    Whats your favourite song ? And anyone who posts could you say your fav song too.

This is about the fifth post in the thread, posted by the OP. He says this after stating, without doubt that the Clash are the best punk band ever, and after refuting any claim to the contrary. Seriously go back and read the first page, the topic is dictated by the OP, not you. So stop patronising me, and read the thread properly before trying to be clever with me.

It seemed to me, rather clearly, that the OP wanted a discussion about the best punk band ever: The Clash. Not "who's your favorite punk band ever". I know the guy isn't exactly Shakespeare, but he was eloquent enough to make his topic of choice pretty clear.

Haha, Christ. I seem to be completely wrong :)

Apologies. See you posting in the toxic waste thread. Havent read it, but GO GO GO!!!

I told a mate I'd go to the metal gig on in TBMC that night, but because I don'tdrink, and therefor have no use for ID, I'll probably get turned away, and straight over to Voodoo where all the bouncers don't give a ****e and are legends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Clash and Dead Kennedys go without saying!
    I recently found an old Anti Nowhere League album - with such classics as Streets of london and woman, now I just have to try and get my 3 year old to switch back to the official lyrics for streets of london before he goes back to creche on Monday:D

Haha. Have to say I'm not into The Clash or The Dead Kennedys much at all. Anti-Nowhere League have some ok songs, but I saw em a couple of times last year when they played here and thought they were pretty ****e, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

You need these bands when they are still immortal angry young men, not when they are on the stale "oh my god what am I going to do for a pension" circuit!

hehe, yeah. Don't worry, I didnt pay to see em :p Only really listening to Irish bands these days, with a few exceptions. Alot of those are gone, though :( Still love the DIY scene around the place and Belfast's always worth a trip up to for the gigs, especially now with the 24 hour Dublin to Belfast bus service \m/

I spam it enough, but if yiz havent heard some of this and you're bored I host a load of old and new Irish punk here:
    https://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~dregin/audio/audiofiles

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

the clash!!! hell yeah!!! woo woo!! woo woo!! woo woo!!

For me the best punk band of all time are Bad Religion. No other band comes close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

Hi guys

This is my first time to pass a comment on this forum, I have read your comments on the best punk band and I have to add my two penneth, I do agree that the Clash were a brilliant band, with Mick Jones and Joe Strummer they developed Punk and added a bit of rasta music to it and the Sex Pistols, although a bit manufactured, (imo) the opening guitar riff to "Pretty Vacant" by Steve Jones has to be one of the best opening riffs ever. I notice that you have omitted to mention, in your discussion, one of the best punk bands (imo) and certainly the best punk band to come out of this country (again imo) Stiff Little Fingers, I would love to hear your opinions please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I notice that you have omitted to mention, in your discussion, one of the best punk bands (imo) and certainly the best punk band to come out of this country (again imo) Stiff Little Fingers

I already mentioned SLF & I think someone mentioned them before me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 maninamousesuit

My vote would be the "Stiff little fingers" Maybe not the best but boy they were my favorites. Alternative Ulster really rocked my socks . Ah God be with the days!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Serbian_Wookie

my favorites are The clash and Sex pistols from Uk and form Serbia
    Pekinska patka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0P6rlarals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91nfRdFZLeY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

The Ramones
    The Clash
    The Damned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rotti Express

The Clash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

The Ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

This is my first time posting here in the punk thread but I definately think Bad Religion are the greatest punk band ever, they've got it all. Maybe this should be a poll??

Maybe you should start listening to punk?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Gee ya know maybe I should I just thought I'd come here and post cause I've never ever listened the genre before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

As far as attitude goes, The Saints had the right idea, they where shipped to England in hope of being marketed as “punks”, but they refused to rip their jeans, and wore plain shirts.
    Swell Maps probably embodied the idea of independence more than anyone (bar perhaps The Fall). The Sonics arguably started the whole thing, not to discount the importance of MC5 who arrived later.

Australia had the best punk bands, anyone who disagrees should buy this
    http://www.amazon.com/Do-Pop-Australian-Garage-Rock-1976-87/dp/B0000668KM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1204039407&sr=8-2

Out of the big British bands, The Damned had the best songs and although they didn’t take the whole thing as serious as the rest ended up having the most longevity. I seen The Damned play 2 months ago for 20 quid, and they are the real deal, not Lydon for triple that amount, a man who dismissed the Pistols and the idea of conventional music for the first 4 pil albums, now look at him, a bloody parody of himself as a young man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement