Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a portion of my neighbours garden

Options
  • 05-01-2012 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I want to buy a portion of my neighbours garden
    I am considering trying to buy a portion of my neighbours garden and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this? Our neighbours garden backs onto ours and we're are only looking for a small portion of it. I am trying to find out what the legalities are etc. Any help or advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's the same as any property purchase, you'll need an engineer and a solicitor, that's providing your neighbour is willing to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

1. knock on neighrbours door and make a proposal to buy part of the garden

2. agree a price

3. get an engineer and solicotor onboard

4. go through the motions

5. enjoy your extended garden.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

As above said approach the neighbour and make an offer.

After that though it's best to do everything through your solicitor so as the land registry is changed and you're now the sole owner of this piece of land. Who's to say your neighbour won't sell their house 6 months after selling the land to you and the new owner turning around and claiming back essentially his land if you haven't gone down the official route.

usually people are reluctant to sell a piece of their garden incase they'll end up being overlooked particularly if there's mature trees and such there. If they raise this issue you could always offer to have the trees transplanted and if they don't take,replace like for like with new trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Who's to say your neighbour won't sell their house 6 months after selling the land to you and the new owner turning around and claiming back essentially his land if you haven't gone down the official route.

Very important to go down the official route.

Mate of mine tried to sell his (inherited) family home last year. Turned out the rear garden was only officially something like 25ft long but was actually some 65ft long as his Dad had come to an 'arrangement' with the owner of the house backing onto theirs sometime in the eighties.

Became a nightmare. New owners of the property behind (also inherited only a few years previously) were only too thrilled to find out their garden was supposed to be another 40ft longer!

No proof of purchase, only anecdotal stories of how much the dad paid and when. Has gotten real nasty since with solicitors involved all round and the new owners behind essentially demanding their garden back.

Advertisement