Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Good signing, might never need him but we're definitely sufficiently covered now should anything happen to Leno.

He holds a UK passport according to his wiki so registration slots won't be an issue.

UK passport doesn't equal homegrown. Prior to Ryan signing we have 1 non-homegrown slot available (freed up by Kolasinac leaving). To register both Odegaard and Ryan, one player will need to removed. My guess is either Runarsson (out on loan) or Mustafi (barely played in the league this season and Chambers getting close to fitness?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ornstein saying that loan deal for Odegaard is 90% done

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    UK passport doesn't equal homegrown. Prior to Ryan signing we have 1 non-homegrown slot available (freed up by Kolasinac leaving). To register both Odegaard and Ryan, one player will need to removed. My guess is either Runarsson (out on loan) or Mustafi (barely played in the league this season and Chambers getting close to fitness?).
    #

Seeing mixed stuff on this - do you know the rules that mean a passport is not enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You have to have been brought up through a club. A passport isn't enough. For instance Eric Dier is not homegrown even though he plays with England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

greendom wrote: »
    #

Seeing mixed stuff on this - do you know the rules that mean a passport is not enough?

Yep, from: https://www.premierleague.com/news/1869523

A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Ryan only moved to a UK club in 2017, aged 25. Note on the link above as well, he is not classified as Home-grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

greendom wrote: »
    Ornstein saying that loan deal for Odegaard is 90% done

Another loan from Spain, I wonder will any of these every actually work out amazing....

We have sum track record with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

You have to have been brought up through a club. A passport isn't enough. For instance Eric Dier is not homegrown even though he plays with England.

I'd be fairly sure Runarrson will be sent out on loan now to free up the spot.

Or better yet sold and a permanent deal done for Ryan in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,384 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Or better yet sold and a permanent deal done for Ryan in the summer.

I think we should wait until we see what he’s like.
    I like that he’s a fan and hopefully he’ll be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

How does it work with signing players during a global pandemic from other countries? Will Odegaard have to go into a 14 day quarantine first? Zidane himself has just tested positive for Covid-19.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55768093

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

DenMan wrote: »
    How does it work with signing players during a global pandemic from other countries? Will Odegaard have to go into a 14 day quarantine first? Zidane himself has just tested positive for Covid-19.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55768093

Ornstein just posted that he hasn't been identified as a close contact and so shouldn't be affected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Fantastic to get an established PL keeper in as back up!

Definitely a few candidates that can be taken out of the squad for Odegaard. Runarson out on loan or Mustafi would be the obvious choices.

The potentially two additions be excellent value and prevent a disaster at low outlays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Get this guy on loan as cover for 6 months then take back Fabianski on a free in the summer? Not sure if he'd want to go back to being a no.2 but I'd take him.

• Advertisement

I think we should wait until we see what he’s like.
    I like that he’s a fan and hopefully he’ll be great.

He's very solid, Brighton number one for 3/4 years and a Fantasy Football favourite due to his good save figures, including pens.

Get this guy on loan as cover for 6 months then take back Fabianski on a free in the summer? Not sure if he'd want to go back to being a no.2 but I'd take him.

Either would be a solid option long term.

Linked with Bertrand as left back deputy for KT. Fits the same profile as Cedric, experienced, likely to be reliable when called upon and unlikely to give you too many headaches.

I like the theory of this kind of squad building, 2 in each position with a blend of youth and experience throughout, you can see what they're aiming for at least.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Linked with Bertrand as left back deputy for KT. Fits the same profile as Cedric, experienced, likely to be reliable when called upon and unlikely to give you too many headaches.

I like the theory of this kind of squad building, 2 in each position with a blend of youth and experience throughout, you can see what they're aiming for at least.

If we get those 3 players then they cover the 3 positions I believe needed fixing.
    Get them in and hopefully they shine for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yep Bertrand would be a solid back up cant complain

• Advertisement

Has scored twice and apparently contract talks are still very much ongoing aswell

Has scored twice and apparently contract talks are still very much ongoing aswell

Not all gloom so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Not all gloom so.

Finished with a hat-trick. Won 5-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭beer enigma

emmetlego wrote: »
    Finished with a hat-trick. Won 5-0

Who lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's a stupid early game tomorrow isn't it?

So annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I think this is the first game of the season I’ll miss due to work, would be nice to keep the unbeaten streak going at least. Enjoy the game!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's a stupid early game tomorrow isn't it?

So annoying.

I don't mind the early Saturday kick offs. I could do without the Saturday and especially Sunday evening ones though.

We're first up today lads in the Cup. 12:15pm. COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We're first up today lads in the Cup. 12:15pm. COYG

I don't care what anyone says, I love the FA Cup. Really really hope we beat these today.

Come on Arsenal!

We've Southampton again on Tuesday night in the league. Both games at St Mary's.

• Advertisement

We've Southampton again on Tuesday night in the league. Both games at St Mary's.

Odd that.
    It was the same when we played Newcastle, Cup and then League, but both were at home.

Two keepers on the bench. Maybe Ryan can play LB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

That's Southampton strongest 11, tough tough game for us away from home with fellas out of form and lack match sharpness.

Can we be realistic with the moaning today please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Surprised Southampton have gone so strong.
    Happy enough with our team though, about what I would have hoped for

Last chance from me for Pepe and Willian. Time for them to show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Is this on the bbc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

wonga77 wrote: »
    Is this on the bbc?

BT sport I think

Last chance from me for Pepe and Willian. Time for them to show up.

I'm still waiting for Pepe to catch fire. Keep hoping it will happen but that hope reduces each time he plays. Prove me wrong Pepe!

Auba had a personal matter to attend to and was sent back by Arsenal. Just read it on the BBC website. Walcott plays against Arsenal and Soares plays against Southampton. COYG

Arsenal XI: Leno, Bellerin, Holding, Gabriel, Cedric, Elneny, Xhaka, Pepe, Willian, Martinelli, Nketiah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This game was made for Balogun to burst from the bench.

We've started quite well. Willian and Martinelli linking up well.

Excellent save from Leno.

Gone are the days of Leno kicking it out short from the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Gabriel having a bit of a mare

Poor from Willian. What a surprise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Unlucky Gabriel there, an inch more on the ball and he'd be getting praised for great block.

All stemmed from overpaying it on the right and El Neny or Leno not hoofing it out. The long ball out after inviting pressure has worked well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Willian is so terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Can Fenerbahce take Willian as well?

Should have played Mat Ryan......instead of Willian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is Nketiah on the pitch?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement