Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player on PS3

Options
  • 06-12-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

need help testing RTE Player on PS3 games console.

Point your PS3's browser to www.rte.ie/playerxl

and let us know what you think.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paddyirishman05

Pitty you havnt got any replies before now! I thought alot of people would be using this since 10% of BBC iPlayer usage in the UK comes from PS3's!
    I quite like this feature. Used to connect the laptop to the TV before it came out and it really makes things easier!
    The interface seams to be easy to navagate through and find programmes.

Cant really see any flaws though. When I click on 'catagories', the page takes a weee bit long to load, but its not somthin to pull my hair out over!
    It would be nice though to have an option to increase video resolution. I suspect it is currently at 360p, where as 420p or higher would be desirable. The lower resolution 360p would still need to be available though since many Irish broadband users only have 1MB Broadband available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 karina26

thanks for the feedback paddyirishman05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Screen keeps going dark every 5-10 min like a screensaver when watching a programme ... someone please fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Wish there was a way to remove it from my xmb.
    Quality is just too low for me to want to display on a 40" led.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've been using it on my PS3 from England (RTÉ International player) via the PS3 browser. I watch it on a 32" HDTV and can't fault it. I don't notice much difference between it, the BBCiPlayer, 4OD and the ITV Player (all available on the PS3).

Nice :)

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    Wish there was a way to remove it from my xmb.
    Quality is just too low for me to want to display on a 40" led.

Yeah, the res is atrocious , furthermore the sound is always out of sync with the picture in my case. Is the BBC version better than our RTE player?

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Is the BBC version better than our RTE player?
    I honestly haven't noticed much difference but I will check tonight. I don't have a problem with the sound being out of synch but resolution may not be as good. I'll report back my findings tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 karina26

Screen keeps going dark every 5-10 min like a screensaver when watching a programme ... someone please fix it.
    hi Maverick,

we haven’t experienced or seen any other mentions of this. Could it possibly be a (power saving?) setting on the console?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

karina26 wrote: »
    need help testing RTE Player on PS3 games console.

Point your PS3's browser to www.rte.ie/playerxl

and let us know what you think.

thanks.

Any plans to add the player to the Sony Bravia TV range?

hi Maverick,

we haven’t experienced or seen any other mentions of this. Could it possibly be a (power saving?) setting on the console?

I think it is actually, it happens on my PS3 on any of the players (ITV, BBC, 4OD).

Actually, just found this on Google:
    Digital Spy forums
    D3xt3r wrote:
    Thread: PS3 power saving mode:

Although this is a good feature for saving power for the controllers I find it a bit of a pain when using the BBC iplayer as ten minutes into a progamme the screen dims and the controller turns off,when I press the PS button the brightness comes back on.Is there any way around this? without turning power save off.

• Advertisement

hi Maverick,

Yes but you have to set the settings so that when there is a video playing, the power save mode wont kick in.

Yes but you have to set the settings so that when there is a video playing, the power save mode wont kick in.

No it's a PS3 setting (Display setting), the owner of the PS3 just has to change their settings to stop the screen dimming, read the thread I linked above. :)

That used to happen to me too. Its just your screansaver settings.
    Go to Settings > Display Settings > Screensaver and choose 'Do Not Use'.

That used to happen to me too. Its just your screansaver settings.
    Go to Settings > Display Settings > Screensaver and choose 'Do Not Use'.

I am well aware of this, however we shouldnt have to turn it off, when you view a blu ray or a dvd does the screensaver kick in ? ... no it doesnt . Same case with Rte player, but of course the idiotic engineers that installed it dont have the logic to solve the problem.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    No it's a PS3 setting (Display setting), the owner of the PS3 just has to change their settings to stop the screen dimming, read the thread I linked above. :)

No we dont , read my previous post.

All the players are the same (BBC, ITV, 4OD), it's because you're using the Browser, the reason your DVDs and Blu-Rays don't cause the screensaver to kick in is because the PS3 is active and the Blu-Ray laser is reading the disc in the drive. The Screensaver kicks in when the PS3 is considered 'inactive'. It was developed that way by the Sony engineers so you can stop blaming RTÉ engineers.

It's not that hard to understand, change your settings or put up with it. Your choice really.

On another note, last night I found the quality of the RTÉ stream to be lower than that of the streams from BBC, ITV and 4OD players.

All the players are the same (BBC, ITV, 4OD), it's because you're using the Browser.

On another note, last night I found the quality of the RTÉ stream to be lower than that of the streams from BBC, ITV and 4OD players.

Enough said, not using it anymore. So whens RTE getting privtised ?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Quality is a disaster - used Player on PS3 once - horrible experience - people expect a lot more now.

I am well aware of this, however we shouldnt have to turn it off, when you view a blu ray or a dvd does the screensaver kick in ? ... no it doesnt . Same case with Rte player, but of course the idiotic engineers that installed it dont have the logic to solve the problem.

I agree. That is somthing Sony has to deal with. It's as simple as making the screensaver deactivate when the web browser is working. But god knows how long that will take them :mad::mad:

the web browser is working

Its not on the web browser anymore, its now an official application on the PS3 XMB, just like vidzone or mubi. And does the screensaver kick in on those applications??? no it doesn't, I dont blame Sony, I blame RTE.

• Advertisement

Its not on the web browser anymore, its now an official application on the PS3 XMB, just like vidzone or mubi. And does the screensaver kick in on those applications??? no it doesn't, I dont blame Sony, I blame RTE.

You obviously don't understand how it works. The 'application' is not an application at all, it's just a convenient shortcut hyperlink that opens the PS3 web browser on the RTÉ player page. All the players are the same. You are still using the browser to view the player.

Have a read of this
    3. Turn off the screensaver
    By default the PS3 screensaver kicks in after 20 minutes, dimming the screen right in the middle of your favourite programme. So you might want to disable the screensaver: Settings > Display Settings > Screensaver

So you see, it's not RTÉ's problem. You really need to understand how it works before complaining so much.

You obviously don't understand how it works. The 'application' is not an application at all, it's just a convenient shortcut hyperlink that opens the PS3 web browser on the RTÉ player page. All the players are the same. You are still using the browser to view the player.

Spot on. All the players are like that. I wonder if they will ever create an app, like MUBI, in the near future? But then the question is, whats the point? the stream will still come through at the same quality... unless they can intergrate with the DVD UpScaling facility on the PS3!

Have a read of this

So you see, it's not RTÉ's problem. You really need to understand how it works before complaining so much.

Yeah your right. I noticed it myself yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 magma

I just updated my PS3 software and the "TV" tab with the RTE Player app is gone. Whats the story? I used that all the time, why is it gone??

Same here- new update has now removed RTE from the XMB TV tab. Pretty annoying now that I have to open the browser, and then open the RTE bookmark I saved, rather than a simple click on the App Icon.

I am guessing that Sony removed this because they want to make money out of other services (I noticed RTE being replaced by somthing else - could have been MUBI, but dont have my PS3 to hand to confirm).

If not, it could be that Sony decided the RTE player isnt good enough. Although in saying that, they DID approve the player before adding it to the XMB in the first place.

What about the UK? Do they still get BBC, etc???

Dont worry RTE, I'll still be catching up! Its as simple as www.rte.ie/playerxl

What about the UK? Do they still get BBC, etc???
    Nope. :( The last update I did removed BBC iPlayer, 4 OD and ITV player from the TV tab :mad:

Maybe they'll fix it next update...

Nope. :( The last update I did removed BBC iPlayer, 4 OD and ITV player from the TV tab :mad:

Maybe they'll fix it next update...

Well if they have removed RTE, BBC, 4oD & ITV/UTV then I suspect they WONT be including them again. (And I got an update today with no result.)
    I presume its a ploy byy Sony to make some money by getting people to use MUBI instead of regular TV. Pile of **** if you ask me!

BRING BACK RTE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Does the PS3 player play live TV like the online/computer version now does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JayDooling

Has anyone in the US tried getting the RTE Player on their PS3? Are you getting the same limited RTE Player that can only be received when you are outside of Ireland?

I saw a YouTube video entitled "ps3 play tv in ireland, irish/uk freeview channels". There was no commentary on the video, but it seemed to imply that you could get the all the Irish stations LIVE via a FreeView UK. Has anyone tried this? If so is it accessible in the US? YouTub link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXnv2FXVpsI&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 aldeirm2

How do you watch RTE 2 live?! it seems to be only recorded shows and no live streaming?

Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement