Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trolley Token

• 24-11-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Pass no remarks if this is common knowledge=
    If you're shopping in the north and haven't got any one pound coins,
    20 cent coins do the same job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

works with lidl trollies as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Anyone else remember superglueing two irish 10ps together to make a 1 pound coin for vending machines?

Only worked on some vending machines but you were saving ~80p depending on the exchange rate at the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Anyone else remember superglueing two irish 10ps together to make a 1 pound coin for vending machines?
    Metal ruler ftw..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Hammer does the same trick with the vending machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Yeah, I find the 20¢ coin works with Lidl trolleys quite well, that or a hacksaw...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Remember the old big 1 penny coins. You used to be able to put them in the coke vending machine and get your can and 50p change:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Metal ruler always used to work... until you were seen on CCTV as my friend was.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Remember the old big 1 penny coins. You used to be able to put them in the coke vending machine and get your can and 50p change:D
    When in Germany during the 1990's I'd often get confused and accidentally put 2 Irish 10p's in the fag machines and get a pack of 20. Oops! ;)

Turns out I wasn't the only one. The same thing happened to other Irish lads working there too....:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ah Germany lost a good 5p's in the ice cream machines :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

AlsO works for lockers. Such as the ones in swimming pool changing rooms.Trolley disks are great

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Best I've heard was 50p's made of ice in a gas meter.

No incriminating evidence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Best I've heard was 50p's made of ice in a gas meter.

No incriminating evidence

Water or rust on the other coins which would lead to suspicions of water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Stinicker wrote: »
    Water or rust on the other coins which would lead to suspicions of water?

If it was North Sea gas... maybe the water got in there?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Leadamp

I'd be too young to remember the vending machine tricks or the payphone hacks. Shame really, sounds fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

English 10p works in most trolleys here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Khannie wrote: »
    English 10p works in most trolleys here.
    English 2p works in the place of a 2euro coin in aldi trolleys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

If you are really stuck and you have no coin on you (just the laser or visa debit card like me as i am always forgetting to bring loose change)...

Just take a key off your key ring (something like a standard house key) and put the round top end into the coin slot. It deffo works for aldi trolleys and almost certainly for lidl, but not tesco as their trolley tocken thingy has a sliding drawer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Access wrote: »
    If you are really stuck and you have no coin on you (just the laser or visa debit card like me as i am always forgetting to bring loose change)...

Just take a key off your key ring (something like a standard house key) and put the round top end into the coin slot. It deffo works for aldi trolleys and almost certainly for lidl, but not tesco as their trolley tocken thingy has a sliding drawer.

Not in the Tesco where I live! Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Kenyan 5 shilling coin,

e6412e80-304d-0130-2fe1-005056942d16.jpg

was the same size and shape as an Irish 50p coin during the 1990's but the exchange rate was 50 to 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

20c coin works in any trolley i've tried that is supposed to take a euro, including tesco. With some of the slotted ones, like in dunnes, you need to hold the coin on the right hand side with one hand, just slightly into the slot and quickly jam it in all the way with the other hand. English 2p also works well in Aldi trolleys.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I used know a lad who worked on the Liverpool Dublin ferry. One of his jobs was to clear out the slot machines. He had a scam going where he would replace all the English 50p coins with Irish 50p coins when emptying it after the Liverpool to Dublin sailing. This was when there was an exchange rate of 80p sterling to the Irish pound. A grand little earner and no problem because the machine just showed the exact number of 50p coins inserted even though of different value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

i wish i lived back then, this sounds like great fun :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Never had the chance to test it but ive been told that the thai coin (bhat?) Is the same size as a 2 euro. And goes through machines. Was a while ago tho (2003) so may have been some re issues since.

Other (now extinct) coin tricks were using the spark clicker from a lighter to get extra credits on coinop arcade machines or rubbing your feet on the carpet to get a static charge. As i type this i realise that i have vivid memories of doing this on several occasions but no memory the result good or bad. Maybe someone can confirm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 flat toes

Access wrote: »

Just take a key off your key ring (something like a standard house key) and put the round top end into the coin slot. It deffo works for aldi trolleys and almost certainly for lidl, but not tesco as their trolley tocken thingy has a sliding drawer.[ relly good thinking I must say

Advertisement