Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super glue yourself!

• 21-01-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Well....I had heard that cornermen use super glue to close cuts on fighters. The other day I sliced myself very nicely while cutting some onion, but had one of those horrible flappy flappy bits at the top of my thumb that a plaster wouldn't cover, so I broke out the super glue (after it had stopped bleeding).

Best decision _ever_.

That is all.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yep, it's a favourite of golfers as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What with all their vicious golf-buggy-rage related assaults?

(honestly, can't see why golfers would need it)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Khannie wrote: »
    What with all their vicious golf-buggy-rage related assaults?

(honestly, can't see why golfers would need it)

quite easy to cut your hands during a golf game, or to have a cut before hand and not want to wear a plaster as it reduces feel. so you use superglue to seal it instead. famously used by John Daly after surgery..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Thats what superglue was originally invented for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Just one thing - AFAIK, superglue is not sterile. There is a medical superglue that is used in hospitals that is sterile, but I don't know whether it is for sale to the public.

BTW, as a guitar player I've heard of guitarists putting superglue on their fingertips to protect them when using heavy gauge strings, although I haven't done it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Just one thing - AFAIK, superglue is not sterile. There is a medical superglue that is used in hospitals that is sterile, but I don't know whether it is for sale to the public.

BTW, as a guitar player I've heard of guitarists putting superglue on their fingertips to protect them when using heavy gauge strings, although I haven't done it myself.

The difference between normal and medical super glue is that the medical one is less likely to cause allergic reactions/have a lower toxicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

The active ingredient in regular super glue and medical grade superglue are the same, it is the carriers which are different. The chemicals regular superglue use are more toxic. Regular superglue also gives off more heat when it's curing, a few drops is no big deal but a good amount of the glue gives off a fair bit of heat.
    I have often used superglue to seal cuts on myself, just do not use it internally! Make sure the wound is well cleaned and sterilised, and use the glue to join the skin on the outside. The biggest danger is that you would seal infection in your cut and cause a serious problem. I like steri-strips better but would use superglue again if it was all I had available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

there are several "liquid" plasters available over the counter I've used the TCP one got it in boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

KTRIC wrote: »
    Thats what superglue was originally invented for.

yeah I heard that too. for patching up soldiers in vietnam i think. mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

i was bitten by my ma's parrot last week.. nice and seep it was and right on the knuckle too... out with the glue and it worked a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Kastro wrote: »
    i was bitten by my ma's parrot last week.. nice and seep it was and right on the knuckle too... out with the glue and it worked a treat.

That would make me nervous that I was sealing some nasty gear in. Haven't had cause to use it in a while, but I still consider super glue a winner. I'll have a look into those over the counter jobbies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Weightlifters use it all the time too... It's very easy to tear your hand open on a sharp bar and impossible to put a plaster on it so superglue becomes the only option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

My father had his ear almost completely severed from his head in a road accident about 10 years ago. Doc in the hospital just glued it back in place, right as rain now, no scars or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

irlrobins wrote: »
    My father had his ear almost completely severed from his head in a road accident about 10 years ago. Doc in the hospital just glued it back in place, right as rain now, no scars or anything.

lol. I know its not something to laugh at but can you imagine going into the hospital with your ear half off.

Doctor: "hmm I see" *turns around*
    Man : "Doctor what are you doing???!"
    Doctor: "Oh Im just gonna glue it back on, nothing to worry about."

But yeah I got a pretty nice cut on the side of my head from a window and the doc just put glue along it and it was the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Super Glue Yourself! American Pie 2 RFLMAO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Super Glue Yourself! American Pie 2 RFLMAO!

RFLMAO!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 AStranger

yeah iv been glued back together a few times :D

No seriously tho, cracked my head off a desk back in school and had a gash on my head glued back together by the local docter, and more recently while workin in a butchers i cut my thumb while slicing some steak (fairly deep too, nearly lobbed off the tip) and had it glued back together in the ER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

yeah I heard that too. for patching up soldiers in vietnam i think. mental

Dogsoldiers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Khannie wrote:
    Well....I had heard that cornermen use super glue to close cuts on fighters. The other day I sliced myself very nicely while cutting some onion, but had one of those horrible flappy flappy bits at the top of my thumb that a plaster wouldn't cover, so I broke out the super glue (after it had stopped bleeding).
    Pretty smart of ya mate BUT HOW DO YOU GET THE GLUE OFF WHEN ITS NOT NEEDED ANYMORE??

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

2 years later, I'd say the glue has worn off at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hoins

Sliced the top of finger with a stanley blade in work nice n deep.. Threw a bit of super glue on it and happy days didn't get infected or nothin

• Registered Users Posts: 8 the baron

Trust me, this is highly toxic if you have a weak immune system you could be in right trouble, superglue was originally invented for exactly this task in a war situation, but that is medical grade, the stuff you buy in the shop is the nasty stuff that junky's can sniff to get high, in other words its toxic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

the baron wrote: »
    Trust me, this is highly toxic if you have a weak immune system you could be in right trouble, superglue was originally invented for exactly this task in a war situation, but that is medical grade, the stuff you buy in the shop is the nasty stuff that junky's can sniff to get high, in other words its toxic!!

Can I just ask how you came about this thread 5 years later?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 the baron

Just signed up and was reading through some threads and there it was. Can I ask why you find this so fascinating?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joollyparo

Okay i don't know whether to laugh or not.

Advertisement