Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Payment Scheme

Options
  • 10-05-2021 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

My father has our land rented out for the last few years. There are no cattle belonging to him grazing the land. Is he still entitled to apply for the Basic Payment Scheme? On the gov.ie site it says to qualify

"You must manage land and be involved in an agricultural activity. This includes:

milking, breeding animals and keeping animals for farming purposes
    managing land that can be used for grazing or growing"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,102 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

lukin wrote: »
    My father has our land rented out for the last few years. There are no cattle belonging to him grazing the land. Is he still entitled to apply for the Basic Payment Scheme? On the gov.ie site it says to qualify

"You must manage land and be involved in an agricultural activity. This includes:

milking, breeding animals and keeping animals for farming purposes
    managing land that can be used for grazing or growing"

You have to be an "active farmer". However, I think their definition of "active farmer" means you haven't let the land go wild. There is in theory a minimum level of activity which is defined by each state, but I don't know what that is considered to be here.

He needs to have the entitlements to claim though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

He also needs the land to claim the entitlements on. It depends on whether whoever is renting the land is putting it on their BPS. If they are 2 people can't claim on the same land.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

In a word. No

• Registered Users Posts: 19,102 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I took the OP to mean that the father had rented the land out for the past few years but wasn't renting it out now....maybe I assumed incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭lukin

I took the OP to mean that the father had rented the land out for the past few years but wasn't renting it out now....maybe I assumed incorrectly.

No it is still being rented. I got in touch with my Teagasc adviser and she said we can apply for the Basic Payment Scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

lukin wrote: »
    No it is still being rented. I got in touch with my Teagasc adviser and she said we can apply for the Basic Payment Scheme.

Send in an application form then, the department of ag won't be long putting you straight.
    But if someone else is farming it you're unlikely to get anything.
    You still haven't said whether you even have any entitlements

Application form have to be in by the end of the week if you're to avoid a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The11Duff

Did you check with the person who is renting it to see if they are claiming the land on their basic payment???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No you are not entitled to claim BPS. AFAIK you must be in charge of the land. If the land is rented you are not in charge of it. You must be farming at your own risk.This means that you are assuming the capital risk of farming.

If the farmer renting it is keeping cattle on it if you get an inspection both he and you are in trouble.

If you have no entitlements you cannot claim anything. Unless you are trying to put in place a situation where you may get BPS entitlements in 2023 depending on the rules.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No you are not entitled to claim BPS. AFAIK you must be in charge of the land. If the land is rented you are not in charge of it. You must be farming at your own risk.This means that you are assuming the capital risk of farming.

If the farmer renting it is keeping cattle on it if you get an inspection both he and you are in trouble.

If you have no entitlements you cannot claim anything. Unless you are trying to put in place a situation where you may get BPS entitlements in 2023 depending on the rules.
    Can’t you submit an application without claiming on any land
    They may not get any BFP this year but if they were to farm the land in 2022 they could apply for the new Reps scheme
    1 of the criteria under GLAS was you had to have submitted a BFP application the previous year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They may not get any BFP this year but if they were to farm the land in 2022 they could apply for the new Reps scheme
    1 of the criteria under GLAS was you had to have submitted a BFP application the previous year

I do not know. But I imagine you need to show some land

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zetor 4911

Your annual BPS application is a declaration of the lands which you are farming in that year if you are not actively farming lands then it should not go on your BPS application.

Advertisement