Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring my automatic gates

Options
  • 01-06-2020 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Currently have a wired system for automatic gates... straight through to the kitchen where we have a phone and a button to open the gates. Is there an option to replace that phone with a wifi connected phone so that you could open the gates through wifi? (Say if I wasn't home and wanted to open the gates for someone)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Currently have a wired system for automatic gates... straight through to the kitchen where we have a phone and a button to open the gates. Is there an option to replace that phone with a wifi connected phone so that you could open the gates through wifi? (Say if I wasn't home and wanted to open the gates for someone)

You could get a GSM intercom and add a SIM card, then pressing the intercom could be programmed to ring your mobile phone (or forward to a second number after so many rings unanswered) and allow you open the gate from your mobile. You could also have the function of being able to open the gate by ringing the number, this function could be locked down to only open for your set of allowed numbers you add, so you could add all your family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

The above is a good way of doing it alright. Very handy. Extremely reliable. Those units are quite pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

yes the GSM Gateway is your best option an AES Prime would be a good unit, you can program allowed numbers to open the gate, Also when someone pressing the button

you can set it to dial house phone, them mobile 1, then mobile2 if they dont answer, pressing 1 will open the gates then!

Another option is a sonoff controlled via google home.
    You need to make a small mod to the sonoff as they normally switch mains volatage and you need a no volt contact.
    I recently installed a HKC secure wave alarm panel (with a gsm module) and it has capacity to open the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

You need to make a small mod to the sonoff as they normally switch mains volatage and you need a no volt contact.
    I recently installed a HKC secure wave alarm panel (with a gsm module) and it has capacity to open the gate.

hi can you provide more details on this please, sound interesting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My thoughts exactly. A very cost effective and reliable solution. Inching can be set to 0.5 seconds so the gate open signal is pulsed upon activation of the Sonoff. These can simply be connected in addition to the existing setup.

Advertisement