Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric scooters legalised yet or what ?

Options
  • 31-05-2020 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

A year ago some review was being done on these to decide if they are legal for road use. There seems to have been no update on this since May 2019. Whats going on with these ? Most EU countries have legalised these a long time ago. France and Germany are cluttered with them at this stage. I want one but don't want to end up in court for no insurance or tax or something like that.

Comments

If they move alone without assistance, they remain mpv's I'm afraid.

Hopefully something is done soon but I'm not holding my breath and I blame people that felt the need to get saddles and petrol motors. I mean ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I see tons of kids on these things, Cops I'm sure are not going to be seen dead harrassing 12 year olds using them getting to school and back. There were two cases of people from Tallaght area last year being brought to court for them but there is also no updates on this either. I really want one for general getting around and keeping the car for weekends. FFS :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

mondeo wrote: »
    A year ago some review was being done on these to decide if they are legal for road use. There seems to have been no update on this since May 2019. Whats going on with these ? Most EU countries have legalised these a long time ago. France and Germany are cluttered with them at this stage. I want one but don't want to end up in court for no insurance or tax or something like that.

Theres been no govt for almost half a year, so little chance of any legislation changes to allow this.

It should be possible to get motor insurance via the declined cases mechanism. A recent CJEU case stated every car needs a motor insurance policy whether its off the road or not, after an off-the-road car was stolen and caused a third party to suffer loss.
    So if an electric scooter is legal to posses, motor insurers should be able to cover it.

Theres been no govt for almost half a year, so little chance of any legislation changes to allow this.

It should be possible to get motor insurance via the declined cases mechanism. A recent CJEU case stated every car needs a motor insurance policy whether its off the road or not, after an off-the-road car was stolen and caused a third party to suffer loss.
    So if an electric scooter is legal to posses, motor insurers should be able to cover it.

Presumable you would also need to register it and get a license plate though as it will be used in public

Advertisement