Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordless drill/ screwdriver for novice with zero DIY skills

Options
  • 31-05-2020 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Have got they life scabbing drills and tools from friends and neighbors! My brother in law great for hanging pictures and tge odd fence repair

With Fathers Day arounnd the corner.... I am dropping hints for a cordless drill that can drill the odd wall and then switch to screwing in the odd screw. You can see from my language that I not great at this DIY stuff

What is out there for the guy like me that needs a drill 3-4 times a year for household use. Am trying to find something less than €75 or so. A bit more expensive that a shirt and tie set.... but hopefully the kids will fee I am worth it!!

Many tanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Generally I have found the drill/screwdriver combo not a good idea. You need much more power and speed for a drill and it tends to run away with you using it for a screwdriver. I'd suggest a cordless screwdriver and a corded drill.

Also there are very few jobs that you can't use a corded drill for, and they tend to be cheaper and easier to cope with. You really don't have to pay a lot - I use the Lidl tools and for the kind of jobs I'd be doing they are absolutely great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Funny enough the poster obi604 on the assembly thread got a handy parkside (lidl?) cordless drill / screwdriver .
    Probably ok for your 3 or 4 times a year jobs.
    You might still need the BIL for any wall drilling however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have a workzone one thats taken am awful battering and carries on. Easy beer than the one stanley fat max before it. I find parkside stuff rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cordless drill with 2 speed gearbox and hammer action would fit the bill perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I've bought a few cordless Black and Decker drills over the past 20/30 years. In the past 3 years, I've had the chance to mingle with builders on construction sites. With that experience, I went out and bought a cordless hammer action deWalt for about €140. Came with charger and 2 batteries.

The last few B&D drills, I couldn't drill into my home wall. The deWalt went in like butter. Highly recommended. Definitely not the cheapest but absolutely worth the investment. I used to, maybe, use my drill once or twice a year. With the deWalt, I'm walking around like a cowboy these days. Drilling everything that moves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement