Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water cylinder descaling?

Options
  • 28-05-2020 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm curious: should the hot water tank (electric immersion heating) be descaled from time to time, the same way kettle is?

Surprisingly I can't seem to find much advice online from this part of the world. I would assume that heating elements would accumulate good bit of limescale at this point (tank installed in 2006).

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    DAn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

If its lasted 14 years without the element burning out then I don't think that you have a huge problem, I still have the same immersion, installed in 1972. I have seen pictures of lime scaled elements and coils, the coils seemed to have a greater build up than the elements possibly because the elements run much hotter and I think that the heating/cooling thermally shocks them and a lot of the scale falls off into the bottom of the cylinder. I don't know what effect scaling has on efficiency (using electric elements) I would think that the elements just run hotter and still heat the water otherwise they would burn out?.

Advertisement