Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions to stop dog eating poop

Options
  • 25-05-2020 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

I have this issue with my dog too. He is a 7 month old golden lab. He constantly eats his own poop. He loves it! We clean it up right away but sometimes he does it directly after pooping and you can't get to it. I am going to try the pineapple and/or courgette trick in his food. Also, from reading these replies, I am wondering should we feed him 4 times a day rather than 3. We are currently giving him tin/nuts mixed. I might just stick to nuts for a bit - just to see if this helps. Can anyone recommend the best (not mad money) brand of nuts for a golden Labrador of 7 months?

Thanks in advance!

Mod note: post split away from old thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Is he bored? Puppies can grow out of the habit but ours is close to a year and still at it. She’ll stand behind our other dog waiting on it to come out (it’s disgusting).

Sometimes it’s just a puppy being a puppy. Sometimes it’s out of boredom and it just gives them something to do.

Are you playing with your puppy and giving them a lot of exercise? At seven months they’re usually still balls of energy and need to go out for a lot of exercise, especially with bigger dogs. I know some people say it will, but usually throwing the ball in the back garden won’t cut it unless you’ve a huge garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Life1234

Yeah we play with him so much! He loves his big long walks. The vet said "at least you know he likes what he is eating". It's so vile. We just try stop him doing it by getting rid of it right away. He also tries to eat sheep poop which is dangerous. I might try the pineapple trick, I have seen that a lot on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dogs can be disgusting and really stupid. A strong "NO, BOLD DOG" and a little bop on the nose will get him out of the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The Nal wrote: »
    Dogs can be disgusting and really stupid. A strong "NO, BOLD DOG" and a little bop on the nose will get him out of the habit.

Please, please don't follow this advice. Training dogs works much better when you use positive reinforcement rather than hitting them.

Eating poo is called coprophagia and there are loads of helpful guides on getting them out of the habit. I know a friend of mine struggled with this with her dog but has trained them out of it with a bit of time.

I agree. I would much rather train him out of the habit. He is a gentle little pup, I don't want to teach him like that.

• Advertisement

Please, please don't follow this advice. Training dogs works much better when you use positive reinforcement rather than hitting them.

Eating poo is called coprophagia and there are loads of helpful guides on getting them out of the habit. I know a friend of mine struggled with this with her dog but has trained them out of it with a bit of time.

A very gentle bop on the nose works fine and they'll stop doing it in a day or two. It doesn't hurt them but they know its wrong. Then when they stop give them treats so they get treats instead of their own ****. Thats positive reinforcement.

Trained 3 dogs to stop doing it that way. All lovely gentle dogs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The Nal,
    Whatever you advise in your own private time, you may not advocate hitting dogs in the name of training on this forum.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB

Life1234 wrote: »
    I agree. I would much rather train him out of the habit. He is a gentle little pup, I don't want to teach him like that.

Couple of things here, despite some of the other irresponsibly sanctimonious posts. "Hitting". FFS. I've never hit a dog and would never recommend it, clearly.

How do you "train" him out of that quickly? It can take weeks or months. Or "a bit of time" as poster said above. Positive reinforcement wont work quickly here. The food additive thing doesn't work either.

Its potentially a very serious issue. Especially as you say, he constantly doing it.

As his owner, you have a responsibility to stop him doing this, asap. If it becomes a normal thing, he may start eating cat, fox, bird poop etc and his own stale poop and continue this into adulthood.

Now you're opening the door to all sorts of potential health issues - gastroenteritis, viruses, parasites etc. I have seen this in dogs. Years of vet trips, pills, injections, vomiting, pain, incontinence and so on.

Its not hitting, its called "a corrective tap" and its about the only issue that it should be used for. The gentlest of gentle. Barely the force of a light breeze. But, he knows its not a rub for doing something good. Then a finger point with a "NO". He'll stop it, because he understands its a bad thing to do. Not because hes afraid or because hes been hurt.

Then bring in positive reinforcement. Give him a treat when he doesn't do it. Immediately after. Timing is critical. "Good boy", rubs, treats etc. This will work very quickly. Especially with a smart dog like a lab.

But if you're happy for him to eat poison indefinitely instead fair enough.

Id also advise on getting him screened if you havent recently. He may have a bug or something which can lead them to do it. If theyre not absorbing nutrients from their food they might do it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

See this: "Now you're opening the door to all sorts of potential health issues - gastroenteritis, viruses, parasites etc. I have seen this in dogs. Years of vet trips, pills, injections, vomiting, pain, incontinence and so on."

Is that true?

My dogs eat poop. It's not something I encourage. However, my dogs also lick their own butts so i don't particularly encourage licking my face anyway. Since they're not licking my face, do I care THAT much about the occasional poo munch? I've not experienced any of the above issues. Since they're off-lead a lot and like to chew dead stuff, nab a swift rabbit/fox poo before I can tell them not to, etc., they are wormed regularly. And parasites are the only major worry i have regarding them eating poo.

Am I wrong in not particularly caring? I understand that I can be excessively relaxed about my dog's behaviour (glances nervously at dog currently sleeping on dining room table)...

I will try the pineapple juice in his food and see how I get on.

I didn't realise it was such a serious issue? The vet didn't seem majorly concerned. They just seemed concerned about him eating sheep poop (which we have pretty much got him to stop by offering a high value treat instead when he tries to eat it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I will try the pineapple juice in his food and see how I get on.

I didn't realise it was such a serious issue? The vet didn't seem majorly concerned. They just seemed concerned about him eating sheep poop (which we have pretty much got him to stop by offering a high value treat instead when he tries to eat it).

Go with what your vet is telling you and stick with the training - sounds like you’re already making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

Hi All,

I have this issue with my dog too. He is a 7 month old golden lab. He constantly eats his own poop. He loves it! We clean it up right away but sometimes he does it directly after pooping and you can't get to it. I am going to try the pineapple and/or courgette trick in his food. Also, from reading these replies, I am wondering should we feed him 4 times a day rather than 3. We are currently giving him tin/nuts mixed. I might just stick to nuts for a bit - just to see if this helps. Can anyone recommend the best (not mad money) brand of nuts for a golden Labrador of 7 months?

Thanks in advance!

Try adding cooked Courgettes to his food or pineapple if hell eat it, they make the poo taste horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

redroisin wrote: »
    Try adding cooked Courgettes to his food or pineapple if hell eat it, they make the poo taste horrible

I hear it is pineapple chunks that works.

I’m minding a 8 year old rescue for someone who is ill at the moment - the owner warned me & like yours he constantly eats his & anyone elses poo and disgustingly will gobble his own up a second after it comes out or -horror-wait at tje rear end as some other dog goes and scoff their fresh from the bum :0 The owner says the vets says its s lab, thats what they do and the dog has been repeatedly checked & is in top health albeit smelly breath. Fir the past 2 months I have been keeping it on the short lead outside until it goes and then doing stern finger pointing st nose and repriimanding voice NO when it goes to trun around and eat its own poo.So that has been relatively successful. When I catch her gslloping off to scoff some unpickedup poo and scoff it before I can get to her I immediately put her on the long lead as a “punishment’ and she is learning that eating poo inhibits her freedom and is doing it far less -mostly.

Now if I can stop people ****ting in sand-dumes and leaving napies beside bins and get everyone to pick up after their dog EVERY time it goes my life would be much easier.Ironically the dog is in top health and despite what the dogfood manufacturers say it hasn’t typically effected what comes out of her nor made her sick - ironicslly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I muzzle Bailey when there’s stuff I don’t want him to eat in the park eg bird poo and cherries. That way he can still have a potter around.
    Funnily enough I don’t think anyone here has ever done the stern no and finger pointing thing lol. Fingers and hands are saved for training commands and petting :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

tk123 wrote: »
    I muzzle Bailey when there’s stuff I don’t want him to eat in the park eg bird poo and cherries. That way he can still have a potter around.
    Funnily enough I don’t think anyone here has ever done the stern no and finger pointing thing lol. Fingers and hands are saved for training commands and petting :pac:

and apparently for also putting on and tying in your dogs mouth in a cage when it goes for a walk. But don’t let me get in the way of your finger wagging and pointing. No wonder people don’t bother here anymore.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

To put yours, and every one else that has this issue, this DOESN'T mean your dog is lacking anything or is ill... or has a problem.. they are merely displaying instinctive behaviour past down in their genes from their long ago ancestors who would eat their poo to get the full benefit of what they initially ate. So from a dogs point of view, they poo for 3 reasons, to get rid of waste, to get more nutrition, and to alert other dogs that this is their territory (only the last is somewhat in their control) The problem is ours, WE think its disgusting, WE think there is something bad about a dog that will do this and that it causes bad breath... it doesn't by the way, bad teeth causes bad breath.... Feed your puppy food designed for his age group that doesn't have maize in it, pick up the poo straight away whenever possible, and if he goes for it before you can, say AH AH, then call him to you in a happy voice and praise him when he does. Put his lead on and put him indoors before you clean it up (if you can) repetition is the key to successful training. When at home don't let him see you picking up the poo.... see it from his point of view.... he thinks you want it for yourself so makes it all the more desirable.

The Nal wrote: »
    A very gentle bop on the nose works fine and they'll stop doing it in a day or two. It doesn't hurt them but they know its wrong. Then when they stop give them treats so they get treats instead of their own ****. Thats positive reinforcement.

Trained 3 dogs to stop doing it that way. All lovely gentle dogs.

The nose is a delicate part of a dogs body and is easily damaged, this is NOT the way to train a dog, please ignore this advice.

and apparently for also putting on and tying in your dogs mouth in a cage when it goes for a walk. But don’t let me get in the way of your finger wagging and pointing. No wonder people don’t bother here anymore.

To be honest, for all training advise that's effective and rewarding Victoria Stilwell should be your go to person and she has tons of advice on YouTube and her own website. You won't do better.

Enjoy!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

What are you feeding him? Might be the food...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Wow, you might want step back a bit. Most ppl on here actually take the time, 3 – 6 weeks or so to train their dog to use a muzzle so that they aren’t afraid or uncomfortable.

Advertisement