Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrying over of Van Road Tax from Commercial to Private

Options
  • 18-05-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are planning to do a self conversion over the coming months and currently shopping around for a panel van to convert. As I'm not VAT registered, we will be insuring commercially but taxing the van privately.

I understand this will mean the van will use the old taxation system based on engine CC but I'm just wondering if we buy a van that has a number of months tax remaining (the van was taxed as a commercial by the previous owner) and we then tax it as a private vehicle, would we get any money back from the previous tax payment or is the slate wiped clean and we have to pay the full road tax from scratch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just use the tax that’s on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just use the tax that’s on it.

What are the legalities around driving a van with commercial tax while not being VAT registered?

Or does thw difficulty only come when you are trying to get the van taxed in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's none that I'm aware of.

The difficulty is renewal. even at that it's not as difficult as taxing a crewcab.

Note that as soon as you fit side rear windows, you can't really drive it as a commercial van anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Yo don't need rto be registered for vat you can put your pps number or any random set of digits on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Camper tax is 30 cents a day, just tax the van and enjoy life

• Advertisement
Advertisement