Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

CBear1993 wrote: »
    People on here banging on about “spend one summer in Ireland”. Check booking.com and the others for hotels in Ireland after 10th August when they’re meant to re open. Laughable.

Why would you spend €200 a night in a hotel down the country when you could jet off somewhere and stay in a nicer accommodation for the same , maybe less? And the weather is guaranteed abroad. If it lashes rain here the only thing to do is pub it up. Still plenty to do abroad if it lashed

Got an email from Lidl Breaks re Ireland August holidays - prices are laughable!

Unfortunately my father in law is very ill - only reason I haven't already booked a couple of weeks for the family in the Canaries in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

JimmyVik wrote: »
    You know. If everyone just went on holidays in their own country for just this one summer it would have a huge impact on this virus and probably save many lives.
    Then next summer we can look at it again and see if a) there is a vaccine and b)there is at least a treatment for it.

Just one summer in your own country.

but a week in dublin will cost a hell of a lot more than spain, same with most
    places here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

Was lucky this year, still can't believe it.
    Had a sun holiday in January, went to Zanzibar and then skiing the week before lockdown started in France.
    If the weather stays like this I'll be happy with a week down in Rosslare. I'll have so many annual leave days to carry for next year, lets hope things are back to normal then.

You are indeed very lucky. For many,I'd say the majority, travel doesn't start until the spring, which is exactly when the virus struck. So the idea of being locked in for the whole year would be awful.

I'd be feeling exactly like you if I had a lot of my wandering already done. But I had booked for Easter, then June and then though thankfully not yet booked, a good few more trips up to October. And then happy to winter at home.

So am feeling already very caged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Got an email from Lidl Breaks re Ireland August holidays - prices are laughable!

prepare to be ripped off everyone!

I've gran canaria booked for mid Aug so I'm pretty hopeful we'll get that flight.
    I'd lose what I paid for the hotel so I'm very eager it goes ahead.

I'd take the money and rebook for dec just for piece of mind if that were an option but like most here I just want a break, want to be fed, have a few drinks, to leave the housework behind which you can get here also at a much higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Due to go to France Mid August, the region is very rural and in France's Green zone and its our own place we will be staying in so no issues around that. If Irish Ferries have the WB Yeats on the crossing by then (its due to change back to France from Holyhead route June 10th I think) and if France lift the 100k travel limit by then which I certainly think they will, then we are all agreed we should go. Only thing that may stop us is where we are on self isolation / quarantine by the time we return in late August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Unfortunately my father in law is very ill - only reason I haven't already booked a couple of weeks for the family in the Canaries in August.

Ive had a few from hotels in July - however none can say if their bar will be open. Probably won't but why would you go to a hotel and have to sit in the bedroom all night! Could do that at home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Mr.S wrote: »
    Because we implemented strict social distancing rules and closed down most non-essential services and shops........... better to be over-prepared then under, no?!

I think it's normal that people are hesitant to get back on a plane. We've all seen the videos from hospitals in Italy and Spain, no one wants to experience that and people are naturally a bit spooked.

Life will go back to normal, but I'd say most people will be skipping any major travel in 2020.

Yes, I'm not trying to undermine the measures put in place.

Im trying to say, it has worked, we deserve to move on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd be same. I love to travel and want to do so when it's as safe as possible, but as someone who doesn't go to sit by a pool or beach, but likes city breaks and train travel, I'm not sure how I can have a close to normal experience anytime soon. I'd imagine any culture sites might have reservations now cos of social distancing rules which really ruins any bit of spontaneity or flexibility in what you want to do.

As soon as I can have that, I'm definitely travelling, but the idea of a 4-5 day break where you have to book every restaurant, lunch and trip sounds eurghh to me tbh. Never mind having to rely on mass transport to get around the place.
    I could have written this word by word. Most of my travels have been city breaks, many by train, and with spontaneous choice of cafès, restaurants, museum/sight visits.
    Having to book ahead every single step of the trip is not what travelling for me is about.
    I will still travel to visit family and friends, but I do not plan anything else rather than that, for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    and if France lift the 100k travel limit by then

Some good news for you, France is lifting the 100k travel limit next week!
    https://www.thelocal.fr/20200528/france-scraps-its-100km-rule-for-travel-within-the-country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

As someone with an underlying condition there's no way I'd risk it this year.

If I was young and healthy I might.

But the thing only one other person has mentioned here is insurance. Be sure folks that without a doubt NO insurance company will cover you for anything Covid related.

• Advertisement

pinkyeye wrote: »

But the thing only one other person has mentioned here is insurance. Be sure folks that without a doubt NO insurance company will cover you for anything Covid related.

For travel wthin the EU the EHIC is all you need for emergency health care, including covid. But you'll be out of pocket on any travel disruption expenses (extra hotel nights, re-booking flights...)
    Further afield though it could be more complicated, especially if the Department of Foreign Affairs still maintains a ban on non-essential trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pinkyeye wrote: »

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Most people think ah sure I'm going to EU, the EHIC will cover all of us for everything no bother. Perhaps it will. I dunno.

But why do people purchase Travel Insurance in the first place? Could it be something to do with repatriation of a person or their coffin, air ambulance, etc.?

Well I suppose EU is ok if you delete the above caveats, but nowhere else on the planet will cover for CV now. There will be so many opt outs.

Just thinking out loud, don't kill me now.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Most people think ah sure I'm going to EU, the EHIC will cover all of us for everything no bother. Perhaps it will. I dunno.

But why do people purchase Travel Insurance in the first place? Could it be something to do with repatriation of a person or their coffin, air ambulance, etc.?

Well I suppose EU is ok if you delete the above caveats, but nowhere else on the planet will cover for CV now. There will be so many opt outs.

Just thinking out loud, don't kill me now.

Reimbursement for additional travel expenses (hotels and flights) if you get sick abroad is often included in travel insurance policies. These will likely be void if the Department of Foreign Affairs still has a ban in place for international travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'll be heading away for 3 weeks on 1st August as long as no drastic changes.

Fingers crossed quarantine on arrival is finished by late August, i imagine it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

GocRh wrote: »
    Reimbursement for additional travel expenses (hotels and flights) if you get sick abroad is often included in travel insurance policies. These will likely be void if the Department of Foreign Affairs still has a ban in place for international travel.

Indeed. But people are free to make their own choices and check with their Travel Insurance (If they have any) as to what the situation is.

Many people do not have Travel Insurance. That is why (and it is rare I know) crowdfunding and Trusts like the Kevin Bell Trust help people get a loved home.

Not worth the risk for 30 odd quid. But it's the cover nowadays I'd be thinking of re Covid.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/its-about-helping-the-families-founders-of-kevin-bell-repatriation-trust-38013574.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Many people do not have Travel Insurance.
    I would have thought insurance was the norm.
    Those who go on the one week-two weeks family "flight and holiday" in the sun, tend to have insurance as part of the package.
    Those who go on the 'ferry and campsite" holiday with their own car must have insurance, surely.
    And of course those who go on sport holidays, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I'm heading off this weekend to Bavaria and then on Wednesday to South Tyrol in Italy.

Hotels, Restaurants etc are all open again here and the weather is fantastic.

:pac::pac: Can't wait !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

redcup342 wrote: »
    I'm heading off this weekend to Bavaria and then on Wednesday to South Tyrol in Italy.

Via Ireland? Or are you already in Germany?

Just booked Lanzarote for August. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I'm thinking of hiking the Atlantic Camino in early-mid September. The one from porto up to Santiago del Compostela. Any word on what the accommodation situation will be like? I know most people don't book anything and just stop off and stay in places just along the trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

redcup342 wrote: »

Hotels, Restaurants etc are all open again here and the weather is fantastic.

:pac::pac: Can't wait !!

You sure the Germans, or Austrians will let you in if you don't have "Anmeldung"= official German residence address?

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 5 racer1bk

Hello,

I would like to go see my family in Belgium if I can the early as possible but that requires for me to save up money. Thank god, if I can save up sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don’t think flying will be an enjoyable experience for the next few months.
    I intend to travel in 2021 though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mr.S wrote: »
    I think the flying part will be fine. A mask is all that's required, you'll forget about it after the first 10 mins if you aren't used to them.

I think what's more of a question mark is impact of coronavirus in the place you're going to, and what happens when you return. As it stands now, I personally wouldn't bother traveling abroad if I need to worry about social distancing while going out / dining / drinking, avoiding public transport etc, and then have to self-isolate for 2 weeks when I get back, not worth it IMO. I'd imagine all that will improve fairly quickly though.

The people traveling for pleasure in June / July must really want a break ;)

I hope so, I didn’t get a holiday in 2019 either because a few things cropped up and I just didn’t have a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Huge Ryanair sale.

Just booked Malaga 17th July from Dublin €59.99 one way!

Spain accepting tourists from 1st July, if this changes, or anything happens in the meantime and Ryanair cancel, I'll take the voucher, fair enough!

Free cancellation hotel booking.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Huge Ryanair sale.

Spain accepting tourists from 1st July, if this changes, or anything happens in the meantime and Ryanair cancel, I'll take the voucher, fair enough!

Wouldn’t exactly call that groundbreaking price drops, although I acknowledge it is July.

Anytime you get a European city under €100 return is very good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Huge Ryanair sale.

Considering all that's happened and all they need to do to get consumer confidence again, I find that very high actually

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Huge Ryanair sale.

You’ve been absolutely mugged there mayteeee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭johnire

Can I just ask out of interest....are you living within 20 km of your departure airport?

Huge Ryanair sale.

• Advertisement

Huge Ryanair sale.

Yeah, booked Cork - Lanzarote for end July to mid August for €146 pp excluding extras. As somewhat of a connoisseur of Ryanair prices, I have to say that is VERY good for peak time. Plenty of seats already taken too according to the seat map. Used some of me ****ing vouchers too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement