Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

RTE podcasts no longer available on Irish Radioplayer app?

• 14-05-2020 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I used to listen to RTE shows on the Irish Radioplayer app, as I found it much better to use than the RTE Radio app.
    For a start, the Irish Radioplayer app allowed you store your favourite shows, and to continue playback where you last stopped, of which the RTE app does not.
    Anyone know why RTE stopped having podcasts available on the Irish Radioplayer app?

Comments

just get a decent free podcast app like podcast addict and add your shows through search and you will have all the facilities that you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

glasso wrote: »
    just get a decent free podcast app like podcast addict and add your shows through search and you will have all the facilities that you need.

I tried Podcast Addict but no RTE shows like Lyric FM's Movies and Musicals, Dave Fanning or Marty in the Morning are available on it. It seems RTE only allow their shows on their own app, which has no account setup available, so I have to manually find where I stopped listening every time.

Cheers anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

I tried Podcast Addict but no RTE shows like Lyric FM's Movies and Musicals, Dave Fanning or Marty in the Morning are available on it. It seems RTE only allow their shows on their own app, which has no account setup available, so I have to manually find where I stopped listening every time.

I can find all the above mentioned podcasts on Podcast Addict. You need to search for them within the app.

glasso wrote: »

https://youtu.be/gR5vXcinjiw?t=147

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Tork

I'm a long-term user of Podcast Addict and find it excellent for subscribing to podcasts from all over the world. That includes RTE. Podcast Addict has quite a decent search engine, unlike other podcast apps I used in the past. Maybe these screen captures might help (the video Glasso posted is also helpful)

uplad1.jpg
    Click on the plus symbol in the circle to bring up the Search menu. It will bring you straight to another screen that has a magnifying glass at the top. Click on that and start typing in the name of what it is you're looking for.

I was able to find Marty in the Morning by typing that into the search box. I also found it, and other Lyric FM shows by typing the station name into the box. To subscribe, select the grey tick and the podcast will show up on the front page of the app.

upload3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Just checked. Podcast addict doesn’t seem to be on iPhone. It was actually Podcast app I was trying with no luck. No joy with Acast either. Guess I’ll keep using the RTE radio player app and manually locate where I left off.

By Podcast app, do you mean the Apple one with the purple and white icon? I don't use an iPhone but OH is fully bought into the ol' Apple money train ecosystem. I just picked up his iPad here to see if I could find these podcasts. I had no trouble finding Lyric FM's podcasts. Or Dave Fanning. I also searched for Today with Sarah McInerney on Radio 1 because her show is only on the air a few weeks. Again, her pocasts showed up.

IMG-0031-1.png

I've heard good things about Pocketcasts so I put that onto the iPad and went looking for the Lyric FM/Dave Fanning podcasts. Again, they were there.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and one of the things you'll hear often is ".....or wherever you get your podcasts". They're designed to be made freely available to people using podcast apps. All that the Irish Radioplayer app did was tailor itself to Irish audiences and spoonfeed the shows to them. If the shows you want aren't coming up on it any more, it is the app that is at fault, not RTE. It isn't in any podcast creator's interests to restrict their work to one or two apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭touts

Try PocketCasts. I use that across Android and Apple devices (and sometimes desktop) and it all syncs together. Also I could fins all the podcasts you mention above on it.

IMG-0037.png

This is a screenshot from Pocketcasts which I tried too. The a-cast one doesn't seem to have as good a search engine so don't bother with that.

If your searches aren't working properly, try restarting your phone. If they're left on for too long (as in days on end) they can start to act a bit funny. It really makes no sense that you can't find widely available podcasts.

OP, you should be able to find those shows with any podcast app really.

that is the whole function of podcast apps

I can only assume that possibly you are not using the search function correctly....

• Advertisement
Advertisement