Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Nexium online, If it is legal to do it?

Options
  • 10-05-2020 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I have regular acid reflux due to some medications I take. It is very costly in Ireland. 14 euro for 14 20mg tabs. In spain etc, they sell 28 x 40mg nexium for around 20+ euro.

Is it legal to buy Nexium online?

If yes, which is the best place buy it online?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not legal to buy from abroad.

Prescribed versions are cheaper than the OTC, it may be cheaper to get 6 month scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

MaxPayneXL wrote: »
    I have regular acid reflux due to some medications I take. It is very costly in Ireland. 14 euro for 14 20mg tabs. In spain etc, they sell 28 x 40mg nexium for around 20+ euro.

Is it legal to buy Nexium online?

If yes, which is the best place buy it online?

I think you're better off to talk to your doctor and see if your existing medications can be changed so ideally you don't need to take Nexium in the first place. I wouldn't be trying to self-medicate you can do yourself more harm than good. Also you shouldn't take a stronger dose than you need because that can mess you up in the long run i.e. you may only need 10mg per day instead of 20mg.

If your doctor agrees to give you a 6 month prescription for it, you can ask for the generic version which should be half the price, I'm on omeprazole and it's 5.95 a month for the generic. Then depending on your doctor if it's a repeat prescription they mightn't charge you the full price again in 6 months time, if they do you could try one of the online doctors which are usually cheaper ~€40 compared to ~€60. Also don't forget you can claim 20% of the prescription cost and the doctor appointment back from Revenue at the end of the year. It all adds up!

You're currently paying €168 per 6 months for OTC Nexium.

Rough sums here but
    €60 (doctor appointment) + 6 months x €6 (generic) is €96 (and you can claim 20% of this back) is €76.8

So the prescribed version is less than half the price all costs included!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I think you're better off to talk to your doctor and see if your existing medications can be changed so ideally you don't need to take Nexium in the first place. I wouldn't be trying to self-medicate you can do yourself more harm than good. Also you shouldn't take a stronger dose than you need because that can mess you up in the long run i.e. you may only need 10mg per day instead of 20mg.

If your doctor agrees to give you a 6 month prescription for it, you can ask for the generic version which should be half the price, I'm on omeprazole and it's 5.95 a month for the generic. Then depending on your doctor if it's a repeat prescription they mightn't charge you the full price again in 6 months time, if they do you could try one of the online doctors which are usually cheaper ~€40 compared to ~€60. Also don't forget you can claim 20% of the prescription cost and the doctor appointment back from Revenue at the end of the year. It all add's up!

You're currently paying €168 per 6 months for OTC Nexium.

Rough sums here but
    €60 (doctor appointment) + 6 months x €6 (generic) is €96 (and you can claim 20% of this back) is €76.8

So the prescribed version is less than half the price all costs included!

Agree with virtually all of this except that 10mg doesn’t exist.

Oh, and there’s an extraneous apostrophe or two!
    /grammarnazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'm on 40mg a day (generic).It's a bit more expensive than 20mg but still way cheaper than the OTC branded version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

/grammarnazi

Maybe not 10mg Nexium OTC, but I'm sure you can get 10mg Esomeprazole generic on prescription?

Regarding the stray apostrophe, I'm disappointed in myself :( Also a Grammar Nazi!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

10mg omeprazole is licenced here; no esomeprazole - 20 and 40 there.

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Maybe not 10mg Nexium OTC, but I'm sure you can get 10mg Esomeprazole generic on prescription?

Regarding the stray apostrophe, I'm disappointed in myself :( Also a Grammar Nazi!

Nope!
    10mg Esomeprazole doesn’t exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

OTC Nexium is only intended for occasional short-term use. If you are taking it all the time because of your other medication then ask your doctor to add it to your prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

/grammarnazi

Doesn’t McDermott/Milan hold a marketing authorisation for 10mg omeprazole or do they not actually make it available?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Doesn’t McDermott/Milan hold a marketing authorisation for 10mg omeprazole or do they not actually make it available?

Plenty of companies hold MAs for 10 mg omeprazole.
    Plenty of companies make a 10 mg omeprazole available.
    But this thread isn’t about omeprazole.
    It’s about esomeprazole.
    Which, for the third time in this thread, does not exist in 10mg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement