Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Agreed. It was wreckless for the tournament to go ahead in the first place.

Test was not positive it was WRONG! He never was positive and not one of the people there ever was tested positive! Facts matter. Ask the guy (Alex) directly next time you see him at a tournament, assuming we are ever ALLOWED out again!

The original report even said "PRELIMINARY" and after 2 weeks in Q he and all the others who were tested three times everyday all were negative.

Ever hear the idea about not always believing what you read in the papers, or for that matter on the internet.

We are being ruled over by the Green Lizard people, I read it on the internet and some government people told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DancingSpaniel

There's enough of this hoax nonsense elsewhere on the web. Try talking to a healthcare worker. Or look at the Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, New York being turned into a field hospital. These conspiracy theorists don't use any form of logic so there's no point debating with them. Hope everyone is staying in and thanks be for Lichess!

There's enough of this hoax nonsense elsewhere on the web. Try talking to a healthcare worker. Or look at the Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, New York being turned into a field hospital. These conspiracy theorists don't use any form of logic so there's no point debating with them. Hope everyone is staying in and thanks be for Lichess!

In other words, do as you are told, don't think, don't question and certainly don't wonder!

You honestly have zero arguments or evidence, just "feelings" and vague references to "talking to a healthcare worker" and other nebulous and irrelevant rhetoric.

You seem far more of a conspiracy theorist than any conspiracy theorist I know or could imagine, and that is scary.

Stay inside and don't come out until you are granted permission.

Meanwhile back in Taiwan and Japan and Singapore........

If you, or anybody esle can actually specifically tell me where and when this guy, Dave Cullen, is wrong then you have my attention and gratitude.

https://youtu.be/RkJELpndAOs

If any other reader is interested in hearing the explanation behind the Italian figures that Corbett build his conspiracy theory about, I'll provide it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

*mod note*

Consider this a warning to all - conspiracy posts or posts about the coronavirus I'm going to shut down and start quarantining people.

Post how it relates to chess or how the ICU is running online events are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Id be worried about anyone listening to that Dave Cullen lad. I would keep an open mind about everything but 5 minutes in you can tell the lads a clown. His whole game seems to be just misrepresenting stats or mistakes that people have made to strengthen his argument. Never presenting the whole side of any argument!

Id be worried about anyone listening to that Dave Cullen lad. I would keep an open mind about everything but 5 minutes in you can tell the lads a clown. His whole game seems to be just misrepresenting stats or mistakes that people have made to strengthen his argument. Never presenting the whole side of any argument!

Like for example?

Aside for asserting that YOU can tell 5 minutes in that he is a clown and that again, according to YOU, he is misrepresenting facts or mistakes people have made, to strengthen his argument? While never (?) presenting the whole side of any argument? I am curious indeed as what you are actually referring to, specifically.

I am not at all sure exactly what his overall argument is. He has made some very interesting and valid points and observations and while I would dispute some of the conclusions he seems to have and his emphasis I can take the good with the bad.

For example, and to be specific I think he is overstating the whole cash free society thing. He has a point and shows good examples of its relevance but I think he is still wrong and reading far too much into things there.

I find it more scary that people like you, and no doubt others, engage in character assassination without engaging with any of the actual points being made. It seems to be all just ad hominem stuff. Fair enough to be critical and weary of anybody making big claims, but then bluntly state when and where there are actual errors or as you would see it, mad stuff.

Meanwhile we then have a mod telling us that we can't even discuss the corona virus in a thread on, well, the corona virus! Next we will have talk of corona virus deniers I guess? Notwithstanding the fact that I am unaware of anybody suggesting any sort of "denial" of the corona virus or it's clearly real effects.

Rather when one merely expresses the thought that one begins "to wonder if there is not a huge hoax of sorts going on here" in relation to the reaction and perceived (or real depending on perspective) hysteria and troubling aspects of parrot like "GROUP THINK" 1984 style. Reason, calm and logic seem to go out the window.

I don't think there is any actual conspiracy with this corona virus, save for the way in which so many bureaucrats and state bodies or government officials are singing from the same hymn sheet at times, almost what appears to be in a mindless manner, and so many are just going along with what is fed to them non stop 24/7. All on just about every news station, TV radio etc etc.

Saying that there are conspiracy posts because you presumably don't like what the views being offered are is incorrect and unfair to say the least.

Most people can tell for themselves that if someone was coming on here saying that the corona virus does not exist or that it is some plan by a bunch of people hatching a conspiracy, then that would clearly be just wrong and they would ignore it or laugh accordingly.

I can easily notice problems with many aspects of some of the content and points being made in the two videos I gave links to, and yet nobody was able to point to anything specific at all. All the while the many valid points and observations made and referenced from mainstream and official sources, within these two videos, are all just conspiracy stuff?

Hardly, there are real questions and issues that could well be asked and examined beyond the mass acceptance so I don't buy into the notion that we should all just shut up, stay indoors and not think or wonder about things and how potentially insidious and dangerous it is to give up basic rights and almost the entire economy too.

The chess context here was the case of the Irish chess player Alex who got caught up in the hysteria side of things along with others in Russia, and was stuck in Murmansk for two weeks in Q as a result, despite never testing positive at all and the original story having been shown to be a huge overreaction., which in fairness is very human, and there are also examples in which not enough caution and overreactions might actually have been better.

As for the Lichess and the activity being done by yourself? Good on you and well done, great stuff to see and long may it continue. I was pretty much joking in one of my earlier responses to the effect that there were bigger and more worrying things now coming down the tracks and playing chess online was the least of our concerns. That is literally true and very depressing to think of the profound negative effects already. When will real chess tournaments be back again? Anybody willing to hazard a guess?

I was not actually serious when I was using words like savages and barbarians to describe the online activities. I was "taking the "proverbial" piss" as of course it is a good thing to have instigated these activities.

I did not partake myself but have been using lichess and played far more blitz online than for ages. I will probably join the next ICU lichess events at the weekend.

When all is said and done it will be interesting see what is uncovered about this whole episode in human history in the years following it and what will be revealed. I have few doubts that what we are being led to believe is anything like the full or balanced story.

History shows that incompetence is far more relevant than conspiracies, yet many who are accused of having or offering conspiracy theories are often just too close to core truths or incredible facts, be they coincidental or by design.

There is simply no denying however that we are being ruled over by the Green Lizard people. But you already knew that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

Sometimes we all overestimate our expertise.
    Consider the Dunning-Kruger affect:
    https://youtu.be/pOLmD_WVY-E

I'm no expert in pandemics, the World Health Orgainsation is though. Smallpox killed hundreds of millions of people until the WHO took it on and eradicated it. If you want to learn more about Covid-19, try reading their stuff. David Cullen? Who the fook is that guy?

And btw the Dunning-Kruger effect shows that non-experts overestimate their ability, but real experts underestimate their ability. Yes, I'm backing the WHO on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

The powerplay youtube channel is now reviewing books instead of recent games.

The Complete Chess Swindler by David Smerdon - The first one in what I hope will be a long line of reviews!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

spidersweb wrote: »
    What is bizarre is the hysteria and refusal to accept the facts and obvious overreaction. It was never all that likely and I said so weeks ago, only learning today from this article that yes, it was all panic and hysteria.

Had it been Moscow or a big city , then yeah some real chances back then. This was in MURMANSK! Middle of nowwhere.

From the Russians' point of view at least, it is quite plausible that an Irish player could have brought the virus with them and incubated it during the tournament.

He could have caught it from a schoolmate recently returned from a half-term school trip to northern Italy - especially as Bergamo (and so presumably its airport, used by Ryanair) seems to have been a hotbed of infection.

Rather than speculate, why not wait for Alex (who has now been named by ICU) to confirm whether or not he actually had the virus.

reunion wrote: »
    The powerplay youtube channel is now reviewing books instead of recent games.

The Complete Chess Swindler by David Smerdon - The first one in what I hope will be a long line of reviews!

The first 3 minutes of this clip is the most entertaining could-have-been-a-swindle ever!

Some nice graphs:
    https://youtu.be/sz1bGzYdRdk

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

spidersweb wrote: »
    Test was not positive it was WRONG!

hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

I see that the Irish Championship has been moved to August. We can but hope.
    I don't understand how countries are now considering relaxing restrictions. Surely if even one person is left with coronavirus the whole thing would just flare up the same way all over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I don't understand how countries are now considering relaxing restrictions. Surely if even one person is left with coronavirus the whole thing would just flare up the same way all over again?
    One of the more plausible ideas I've heard is this one, where we bounce in and out of isolation for quite some time:
    periodic-social-distancing_0.jpg?sw=616&cx=0&cy=0&cw=1245&ch=762
    Article: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615370/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing-18-months/

Very interesting, if a little pessimistic. It would seem that the only real solution is a vaccine.

There's so much we don't know about this virus. I've never seen a proper, random population survey to assess the true level of infection. It could be far higher than current figures show, in which case we on the route to some degree of herd immunity. Throw that the coronviruses that cause the common cold are seasonal, and the prevalence of BCG vaccination in Ireland may help, and our damp climate certainly makes life hard for airborne viruses. Plus we don't shake hands/kiss/embrace much, plus social distancing won't vanish just because lock-down ends. And while a vaccine is a while away, a partial treatment may come a lot sooner.

Taking all these things together, an Irish in August is not an impossibility!

All we can really do is hope for the best, and plan for the worst.

That BCG thing is surely fake news, just a statistical quirk.
    There is no way a vaccine against a bacillus can be effective against a virus.
    A targeted vaccine for Covid-19 specifically might be ready for mass distribution in winter 2021/22 if we are lucky.

• Advertisement

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Just spitballing, but maybe there are some secondary infections it offers some protection against. It wouldn't do anything to the virus itself, but it might be able to limit some complications of it. Maybe. Not a doctor.

I think I'll still be out, even by some remote chance travel is an option no way I can possibly plan for it in advance, this whole year might be a bit of a write off chess-wise.

Joedryan wrote: »
    I think I'll still be out, even by some remote chance travel is an option no way I can possibly plan for it in advance, this whole year might be a bit of a write off chess-wise.

Yeah, it's a shame that so many good tournaments are being lost, Galway Easter, Malahide (probably), the Irish Ch (maybe) and the leagues. If I get to play in Kilkenny and Malta in November I will be delighted but I am still hoping that the Irish Ch and City of Dublin will go ahead although I am not optimistic :(

RooksPawn wrote: »

There is no way a vaccine against a bacillus can be effective against a virus.
    A targeted vaccine for Covid-19 specifically might be ready for mass distribution in winter 2021/22 if we are lucky.

Maybe it's a quirk, but several studies over the years have shown that the BCG vaccine stimulates the immune system in a way that makes it more effective against some viral infections. We'll know for sure in a few months after it's been studied properly. Maybe in time for the Irish :D

Maybe it's a quirk, but several studies over the years have shown that the BCG vaccine stimulates the immune system in a way that makes it more effective against some viral infections. We'll know for sure in a few months after it's been studied properly. Maybe in time for the Irish :D

I was reading today that one of the reasons that young people could be dying by covid 19 is because they have an overly reactive immune system, it has something to do with the production of mucus in the lungs. Then again I know about as much about medical matters as I do about the exchange French.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Yeah, it's a shame that so many good tournaments are being lost, Galway Easter, Malahide (probably), the Irish Ch (maybe) and the leagues. If I get to play in Kilkenny and Malta in November I will be delighted but I am still hoping that the Irish Ch and City of Dublin will go ahead although I am not optimistic :(
    I'd go with Malahide definitely being gone.

I’d be reasonably hopeful that the Irish championship will go ahead in August. I’ve entered anyway :-)

I’d be reasonably hopeful that the Irish championship will go ahead in August. I’ve entered anyway :-)

Brave man. Consider this:

a) Will you be wearing a mask while you play your games for four/five hours?

b) Will the school venue actually be available now that the Leaving Cert exams may be running at the same time?

Much as I would like to enter one of the Irish championship events, I don't think I shall be involved in any OTB chess in 2020, and even 2021 doesn't look too hopeful for those of us over 60.

While I admire your optimism Gerry, I cannot see any objective reason for it, I doubt very much there will be any events going forward this year. Hope I am wrong.

• Advertisement

+1 for Gerry's optimism. Plenty of objective evidence in favour or against, so we may as well be optimistic!

Advertisement