Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

David McWilliams Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

glasso wrote: »
    McWilliams himself is the epitome of the stereotype, not just his mate

went to Blackrock College, then Trinners.

I would agree that some bants/bantz is required but the tone is a bit jarring - they haven't got it right for their backgrounds and are trying too hard to portray the "everyman Dub" bants tone which ends up coming down on the face-palm cringe side of things.

You forgot to mention that he grew up in Monkstown and lives in Dún Laoghaire. He is a Dub. Would you be happier if he was more posh? I ask because I really doubt you'd want him even more on point for the stereotype you have in your mind.

Maybe, just maybe, that's the way he is. He's a kind of Dub and there are plenty of kinds of Dub. That's how I see him as a non-Dub. It's actually pretty rare that people perfectly fit a stereotype neatly and when people get more annoyed is when others fail to neatly fit a negative stereotype.

As you've just demonstrated above, he was bad enough when he was the "epitome of the stereotype", the only thing he could do worse is to speak in a way that doesn't fit the stereotype you wanted him to fit.

He can't change his background and, to be honest, I wouldn't care whether he comes from the south side or was the epitome of the "salt of the earth" North-sider or anywhere else in the country. His thoughts are interesting and he's informative and that's why I listen.

You forgot to mention that he grew up in Monkstown and lives in Dún Laoghaire. He is a Dub. Would you be happier if he was more posh? I ask because I really doubt you'd want him even more on point for the stereotype you have in your mind.

Maybe, just maybe, that's the way he is. He's a kind of Dub and there are plenty of kinds of Dub. That's how I see him as a non-Dub. It's actually pretty rare that people perfectly fit a stereotype neatly and when people get more annoyed is when others fail to neatly fit a negative stereotype.

As you've just demonstrated above, he was bad enough when he was the "epitome of the stereotype", the only thing he could do worse is to speak in a way that doesn't fit the stereotype you wanted him to fit.

He can't change his background and, to be honest, I wouldn't care whether he comes from the south side or was the epitome of the "salt of the earth" North-sider or anywhere else in the country. His thoughts are interesting and he's informative and that's why I listen.

you can get his bio on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McWilliams_(economist)

he has always been slagged off for being "posh" - even likened to Ross O'Carroll-Kelly

Monkstown? - in fairness that is a very affluent area. as are parts of Dun Laoghaire - some lovely houses

I like his stuff and have no problem with his background.

but his bants tone is comical tho - most seem to agree. and part of that is the jar with his background. which was the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Not all the southside is posh. But McWilliams is definately posh and from the deep posh southside of Dublin. Plenty of places in south Dublin as bad as any on the northside. No big deal but thats a fact.

incidentally he lives on [DELETED] a nice harbour-front gaff!

not exactly un-posh.

MOD NOTE: ABSOLUTELY DO NOT POST SOMEONE'S ADDRESS OR LINK ON GOOGLE MAPS.

you can get his bio on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McWilliams_(economist)

he has always been slagged off for being "posh" - even likened to Ross O'Carroll-Kelly

Monkstown? - in fairness that is a very affluent area. as are parts of Dun Laoghaire - some lovely houses

I like his stuff and have no problem with his background.

but his bants tone is comical tho - most seem to agree. and part of that is the jar with his background. which was the point.

Yeah i meant Monkstown and Dun laoghaire as more to the "posh" stereotype. The point I was getting at is that he's a Dub even if he doesn't fit neatly into someone's stereotype of a posh boy.

Wouldn't his ideas be more interesting than whether he neatly fits someone preconceptions of a posh boy or not? Can't he just chat with his childhood friend in whatever way they want?

• Advertisement

Yeah i meant Monkstown and Dun laoghaire as more to the "posh" stereotype. The point I was getting at is that he's a Dub even if he doesn't fit neatly into someone's stereotype of a posh boy.

Wouldn't his ideas be more interesting than whether he neatly fits someone preconceptions of a posh boy or not? Can't he just chat with his childhood friend in whatever way they want?

he can but it's a podcast meant to be listened to by many people so it's completely fair game to comment on the content, format, tone, "bants" etc. etc.

the question is - do they actually converse like that normally?!

he can but it's a podcast meant to be listened to by many people so it's completely fair game to comment on the content, format, tone, "bants" etc. etc.

the question is - do they actually converse like that normally?!

I've no idea. Do you?

Also, so what? Why on earth is that an interesting question?

I've no idea. Do you?

Also, so what? Why on earth is that an interesting question?

because then we would know if it's hammed-up for the podcast.

It's only a small bit of bantz anyway. No big deal. The lads are sound. Even if they are two posh boys. Show is good. Look forward to the next one.

because then we would know if it's hammed-up for the podcast.

It's a media production. It doesn't have to represent the way he behaves at home. Surly you know how media works.

I've no idea how he behaves at home. Do you?

• Advertisement

It's a media production. It doesn't have to represent the way he behaves at home. Surly you know how media works.

I've no idea how he behaves at home. Do you?

you seem to continually miss the point or are just trying to be obtuse on this so this exchange is just going around in a circle.

incidentally he lives on [DELETED] a nice harbour-front gaff!

not exactly un-posh.

MOD NOTE: ABSOLUTELY DO NOT POST SOMEONE'S ADDRESS OR LINK ON GOOGLE MAPS.

the road is mentioned in newspaper articles freely available in the public domain. I don't know what exact house he lives in.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/david-mcwilliams-master-of-the-gold-coast-money-game-38244375.html
    When the columnist and his wife Sian Smyth decided to move from Killiney in 2016 they by-passed Dalkey, with which he is identified, buying - according to Land Registry documents - a harbourfront home on Crofton Road, Dun Laoghaire, for €1.25m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Can everyone please stop saying bantz - cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

But the point of saying bantz is to underline how annoying it is.

It's even more annoying than banter: it's bantz. It's more gauche and affected than just banter.

Though, in general, the podcast is excellent apart from that.

Who doesn't like a bit of bantz? :)

you seem to continually miss the point or are just trying to be obtuse on this so this exchange is just going around in a circle.

I suppose the thing I cant figure out is why it's of interest to you how he speaks with his childhood friend and how you would know if its hammed up or not and why would care.

People have all kinds of was of speaking with friends. My father in law and I sometimes speak to each other in the style of aristocratic gentlemen from the 19th century. We call each other "old bean" and "dear boy" and say things like "by Jove". That's not how we normally speak, its a little joke between us - bantz, if you like.

So what if DM and his mate speak to each other in a similar way, in the style of salt of the earth Dubs or if they just speak like posh boys. So what?

The Bantz at the start of the podcast is often a segue to an interesting anecdote like the time he talked about Kenya and the banking through phone credit or Argentina and the influence of the Irish in south America.

I'm not a fan of bantz for the sake of bantz but the bit at the start of DM's podcast is fine.

Arghus wrote: »
    But the point of saying bantz is to underline how annoying it is.

It's even more annoying than banter: it's bantz. It's more gauche and affected than just banter.

Though, in general, the podcast is excellent apart from that.

Banter=Bantz=Craic. It's just different words to describe the same thing. I never understood the objection to the other words for craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Can everyone please stop saying bantz - cheers

chillax man!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Another great episode this week. Really interesting stuff.

I suspect a lot of his pretty straight forward sounding solutions to complex problems aren't as straight forward in reality as they sound on the podcast. I find it a bit suspicious that, for an economist, he generally prefers to narrativise things, rather than to talk in the nitty-gritty of mathematics and numbers.

But, he's smarter than Iso I can never be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'd say if he talked in numbers, then listeners would drop like flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

McWilliams knows his stuff for sure but sometimes you'd kinda wish it would be a bit more rigorous and technical. But really, what would the point be? Just throwing out numbers means nothing. The numbers behind and the calculations are too complex to relay in a podcast format. I rarely hear Economists in podcasts or radio use formulas to back up what they're suggesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Arghus wrote: »
    Another great episode this week. Really interesting stuff.

I suspect a lot of his pretty straight forward sounding solutions to complex problems aren't as straight forward in reality as they sound on the podcast. I find it a bit suspicious that, for an economist, he generally prefers to narrativise things, rather than to talk in the nitty-gritty of mathematics and numbers.

But, he's smarter than Iso I can never be sure.

No, you're completely right here.

He does generally talk a lot of sense, but has a tendency to oversimplify his proposals and downplay the consequences. He doesn't tend to elaborate on the drawbacks and negatives of some of them. If things were as simple and uncontested as he sometimes portrays, there'd be much more momentum in mainstream economics and politics behind them.

All that said, I'm a big fan of the podcast and enjoy his ideas. It's his prerogative if he doesn't want to be completely rigorous or balanced.

• I really want helicopter money. If I'm gonna be paying for this for the next decade, I'd selfishly like something to show for it.

I really want helicopter money. If I'm gonna be paying for this for the next decade, I'd selfishly like something to show for it.

The vulnerable (mostly old people) who are still alive when this is over will be what we have to show for it. It's mostly the vulnerable people were doing it for.

I wouldn't hold me breath waiting for a thank you. It'll most likely be another decade of austerity.

if you want a bit more meat on the bones of the current situation this episode is good

[Odd Lots] Nouriel Roubini Sees A Bad Recovery, Then Inflation, Then A Depression #oddLots
    https://podplayer.net/?id=104095391 via @PodcastAddict

uploads_2F1525293488500-1g06nzenwra-2c75e9bf4afc756a8331c7ee5b24397e_2FOdd%2BLots.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I always thought the Wizard of Oz was a children’s story

Who know it had a hidden meaning ? I didn’t anyway

Lastest podcast was about 19th century America and I enjoyed it. A section about the Caribbean also and the speaker was pretty blunt which was good too. One of their better podcasts for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 28,692 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mikemac2 wrote:
    I always thought the Wizard of Oz was a children’s story

Economist Ellen brown wrote a book based on the wizard of Oz a few years ago called 'Web of debt', its available on the Internets, she was at kilkenomics a few years ago, she's an advocator of public banking systems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Loved his bit about the meritocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Icepick

if you want a bit more meat on the bones of the current situation this episode is good

[Odd Lots] Nouriel Roubini Sees A Bad Recovery, Then Inflation, Then A Depression #oddLots
    https://podplayer.net/?id=104095391 via @PodcastAddict

uploads_2F1525293488500-1g06nzenwra-2c75e9bf4afc756a8331c7ee5b24397e_2FOdd%2BLots.png
    Roubini has predicted the last 10 of the 2 recessions. Good for a counter-argument, just don't start catastrophising after listening to him.

• Advertisement

Icepick wrote: »
    Roubini has predicted the last 10 of the 2 recessions. Good for a counter-argument, just don't start catastrophising after listening to him.

use your brain obviously.

doesn't mean that he doesn't have some good points.

you'd want to be pretty deluded not to see that there are going to be some pretty long-term repercussions from this economic sh1t-show.

Advertisement