Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

David McWilliams Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What school of Economics is McWilliams? Austrian?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Kilkennomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

Hoping he’s right about the savings ECB could make on our €50b mortgage book which would trickle down to savings of €250 a month for a mortgage of 300k

Something I notice about McWilliams. It’s like he doesn’t realize that it’s not 1999 anymore. There’s a load of non academic economists out there that people are aware of. He might have the monopoly on that shtick in Ireland but. He did mention Milton Friedman but he acts as if this helicopter drop consumption smoothing idea is his own. At least based off the conversations with Johnnie boy.

I really like him though. He has an amazing way of synthesizing stuff. And a wide general knowledge and curious and inquisitive mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

In fairness now, he's referenced a few times now that the Danes started the helicopter money approach, he's even said once it wasn't his own idea. I don't expect him to references it's not his own idea every time he mentions it as he brings it up so often as kind of a key action at the minute.

Big fan meself, love his pods and production improving week on week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Something I notice about McWilliams. It’s like he doesn’t realize that it’s not 1999 anymore. There’s a load of non academic economists out there that people are aware of. He might have the monopoly on that shtick in Ireland but. He did mention Milton Friedman but he acts as if this helicopter drop consumption smoothing idea is his own. At least based off the conversations with Johnnie boy.

I really like him though. He has an amazing way of synthesizing stuff. And a wide general knowledge and curious and inquisitive mind.

I do agree that his USP has been diluted over the last few years with other people doing the same as him but I also have to agree with the fact that he does keep mentioning that Denmark has taken the helicopter money approach and I'm fairly sure he referenced, I think, Singapore in doing so also.

In reality very few economists lay claim to any idea as most suggestions are just an older idea/theory being applied to a modern situation

• Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think he's fairly good at saying when he has an idea of his own. Any time he says "this idea called …" is an indication that the idea existed before and he didn't invent it.

He uses far more of other people's ideas than his own - which is no discredit to him. I just never got the impression he was making out the ideas he discusses, were his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

His friend is no addition to these podcasts. Often the first 10 minutes of the podcast are 2 friends catching up.....who wants to be listening to that.

All we hear from his friend is..... Yes ( repeatedly), Amazing, Really, explain that, I never knew that. Makes himself sound ridiculous.

Podcasts have been good since crisis but I'd stopped listening before that.

His friend is no addition to these podcasts. Often the first 10 minutes of the podcast are 2 friends catching up.....who wants to be listening to that.

All we hear from his friend is..... Yes ( repeatedly), Amazing, Really, explain that, I never knew that. Makes himself sound ridiculous.

Podcasts have been good since crisis but I'd stopped listening before that.

I know what you mean bit that's just a story telling device. John is there to make it a dialogue and give the impression that he's the everyman - he's you, in conversation with DM.

I don't mind it.

I know what you mean bit that's just a story telling device. John is there to make it a dialogue and give the impression that he's the everyman - he's you, in conversation with DM.

I don't mind it.

It would be more interesting if he did it alone and started each new section with - "here's something else you idiots probably don't know"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Only listening to this podcast the last while. I've really enjoyed the last two or three on the pandemic. McWilliams comes across a sound, witty and jovial type. Someone you'd like to shoot the breeze with over a few pints. Very informative and im learning a lot about economics along the way.

It would be more interesting if he did it alone and started each new section with - "here's something else you idiots probably don't know"

You might prefer it but generally conversations are more interesting than lectures. That's just a consequence of humans being social animals.

You might prefer it but generally conversations are more interesting than lectures. That's just a consequence of humans being social animals.

I was joking!

I think the conversationalist style is much better and a easily a more digestible format than the lecture approach.

I was joking!

I think the conversationalist style is much better and a easily a more digestible format than the lecture approach.

Totally missed that.

I'd agree, it's better as a dialogue.

Only listening to this podcast the last while. I've really enjoyed the last two or three on the pandemic. McWilliams comes across a sound, witty and jovial type. Someone you'd like to shoot the breeze with over a few pints. Very informative and im learning a lot about economics along the way.

He did an excellent one on Dublin port last year in regards to housing crisis. It's worth listening back to. June last year about.

I don't mind it.

I get that John is us. It's the 10 minutes of bull**** chat between them totally unrelated to topic that puts me of. I often just skip first 10 mins.

I get that John is us. It's the 10 minutes of bull**** chat between them totally unrelated to topic that puts me of. I often just skip first 10 mins.

Yeah it's something that podcasts slip into doing more and more as they go on. I love rugby podcasts and there's one with Andrew Trimble and it should be really good, but they just end up talking shyte for 20 mins (not an exaggeration) at the start. Totally fair to skip the intro if you don't like it.

I find DM's intros aren't as bad as other podcasts. Often the little bits about the country he has been in are interesting. But I completely take your point. Podcasters should have a 60 second limit on shyte talk before getting into the topic.

He did an excellent one on Dublin port last year in regards to housing crisis. It's worth listening back to. June last year about.

That was amazing. I love the ambition of that idea. As he mentions, it's incredible to think that the main areas in Dublin city centre were build in about a 60 year period. And now it's as if we're paralyzed by that infrastructure and terrified to change it.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I just want to say, I did Economics as an undergraduate and I think when you've been force fed maths as being the be all and end all of economics, you can be a bit skeptical about McWilliams and that type of economics. I started to study economics because of a wonder about the world and how it works and quickly got bogged down in the rigorous mathematical application. So when a I hear McWilliams talking in poetic language, even tho I love it, I've been conditioned to go against it. Just in case Dave you're reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

He has a very poor opinion of us poor, pathetic accountants :pac:

• Advertisement

yes it does work better in general but could he please cut down on the

" ah here head, how's it goin' "

intro bants maybe!? or mix it up a little even?

HOWYA HEAD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah the bantz is awful, just awful to listen to.

And did McWilliams referring to "spoofing" as "spooking" during the conversation?

Everytime that lad talks on his show i think its Baz Ashmay lad. Posh south Dublin accent. McWilliams loves the Bantz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

glasso wrote: »
    yes it does work better in general but could he please cut down on the

" ah here head, how's it goin' "

intro bants maybe!? or mix it up a little even?

It's cringe-worthy alright. If the idea was to use him as a soundboard then the experiment has failed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I like it anyway and think the balance of light and heavy on what could be a very heavy podcast is about right.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I like it anyway and think the balance of light and heavy on what could be a very heavy podcast is about right.

I agree. I wouldn't want the banter to grow much beyond the current level but I think they have to break up the topic. Otherwise it would become very dry and dense.

Everytime that lad talks on his show i think its Baz Ashmay lad. Posh south Dublin accent. McWilliams loves the Bantz :)

McWilliams himself is the epitome of the stereotype, not just his mate

went to Blackrock College, then Trinners.

I would agree that some bants/bantz is required but the tone is a bit jarring - they haven't got it right for their backgrounds and are trying too hard to portray the "everyman Dub" bants tone which ends up coming down on the face-palm cringe side of things.

I would agree that some bants/bantz is required but the tone is a bit jarring - they haven't got it right for their backgrounds and are trying too hard to portray the "everyman Dub" bants tone which ends up coming down on the face-palm cringe side of things.

Haha. Couldn't have put it better myself. Nailed it.

• Advertisement

Haha. Couldn't have put it better myself. Nailed it.

Advertisement