Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

David McWilliams Podcast

Comments

And overall stats show it's very much all Asia in terms of Australian exports....

Rank Country 2000 2007 2015 % share of total
    1 China 6,868 27,659 91,297 28.8
    2 Japan 25,342 34,715 42,355 13.4
    3 United States 16,725 15,609 22,114 7.0
    4 South Korea 9,869 15,418 20,014 6.3
    5 India 2,298 11,265 13,574 4.3
    6 New Zealand 9,254 12,891 12,577 4.0

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Very interesting episode today about BoJo, Brexit and the DUP.

What does David's co-host do that he "doesn't have a job" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Anyone listen to his most recent pod where DMcW suggested that Ireland should take up the shortfall in tax owed by the major multinationals in stock options rather than in actual cash, and use this as a Fund so everybody gets a slice of the pie essentially for their own start-ups etc.

An interesting idea but I cannot see the EU allowing something like that. It would mean far too much vested interest on the part of the Irish government, for one, which presumably would have implications on competition etc.
    Also, when he says everyone gets their own small slice of the Fund, how is this calculated per person in an ever changing population number?
    For example, if on inception everyone gets €100,000. I go to the bank with my portion and use it as collateral and it's now tied up in that.
    As population changes, and more companies pay further taxes, do I get a further slice down the road in say 2 years time?
    Interesting idea, but would need to be teased out a lot further.

Sorta hate the way the podcast kind of ends abruptly too.
    He makes a sweeping statement and then it's over.

• Obrieski wrote: »
    Anyone listen to his most recent pod where DMcW suggested that Ireland should take up the shortfall in tax owed by the major multinationals in stock options rather than in actual cash, and use this as a Fund so everybody gets a slice of the pie essentially for their own start-ups etc.

An interesting idea but I cannot see the EU allowing something like that. It would mean far too much vested interest on the part of the Irish government, for one, which presumably would have implications on competition etc.
    Also, when he says everyone gets their own small slice of the Fund, how is this calculated per person in an ever changing population number?
    For example, if on inception everyone gets €100,000. I go to the bank with my portion and use it as collateral and it's now tied up in that.
    As population changes, and more companies pay further taxes, do I get a further slice down the road in say 2 years time?
    Interesting idea, but would need to be teased out a lot further.

Sorta hate the way the podcast kind of ends abruptly too.
    He makes a sweeping statement and then it's over.

Not gonna lie, I don't understand his idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭ Skyler Dirty Barracuda

Regarding the national fund idea, wouldn't it just increase inflation? More money chasing the same goods and services just increases prices. I'm all for investing the revenues in the long term good of the country or buying the shares with the money and letting them sit. Isn't that what they did in Norway? Sell the oil, buy shares, let them sit. To do that, it just means the government needs to save the current money rather than spend it. So asimple idea when it boils down to it, but what is important is rarely complicated as the man himself says!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,692 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Obrieski wrote:

I don’t truly understand his idea of using swf's, he's been talking about it for a couple of years now, and I'm sold on it. As far as I'm aware, the folks at the financial times have confirmed it's a workable idea, mnc's love their share options, accounting departments in particular

Enjoyed the latest ep on colleen Rooney! And Wayne Rooney's Granny. McWilliams tells loads of stories. It's hilarious.

Latest podcast on the housing crisis sums up my frustrations on trying to rent in Dublin very accurately...an absolute mess of a system

• Registered Users Posts: 28,692 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Obrieski wrote:
    Latest podcast on the housing crisis sums up my frustrations on trying to rent in Dublin very accurately...an absolute mess of a system

Economists such as mcwilliams have been banging many drums over our housing issues for years, I've little hope of change actually occuring. It's a highly monopolised and plutocratically controlled sector, which is largely resistant to change, we have land ownership monopolisation, policies such a land value tax is urgently required, and have been advocate for years, it's probably not gonna happen, so on we go with nothing really changing

• Spit balling nonsense: what if they made it illegal for a person or an entity to own more than three houses? Would that stop massive american corporations buying up all the property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I thought the episode was disappointing to be honest. There was a lot of stating the obvious, a couple of straw men about what other economists say and a grand conclusion that we need a land value tax - which is nothing particularly insightful or new. The only interesting bit was the part about the apparent concrete duopoly in Dublin but he then failed to explain why the competition of other build methods can’t make a dent in the duopoly even after his co-host mentioned it.

Personally, I think the podcast is best when McWilliams is summarising bits of historical geopolitics. He’s obviously well read and is a great communicator of interesting stuff he’s read. But any time he gets into current real world solutions he leaves me cold

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Robert McGrath

A return to form with the latest pod on the Trump impeachment and US election. Well worth a listen

A return to form with the latest pod on the Trump impeachment and US election. Well worth a listen

Did he say towards the start he's heading for his 1 millionth download of his podcast? That's pretty impressive I would have suggested.

1,000,000 downloaded divided by 34 podcasts would give an approximate listenership of almost 30,000 people per podcast if my very basic and idealogical maths are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I've been listening from the start and find it light entertainment only.

He seems to change tack week on week, depending on where he's been or who he's been talking to. A flip flop if you will.

Some of his ideas are interesting, but it's hard to take him seriously.

David's co host with some dodgy music recommendations in the most recent episode on love. Loads of banter in that ep, they clearly have a rapport.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

David's co host with some dodgy music recommendations in the most recent episode on love. Loads of banter in that ep, they clearly have a rapport.

I haven't listened to that episode yet.
    Does he say the F word a lot again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

Obrieski wrote: »
    The other guy acts as Joe Punter, with no real knowledge. Stops him going off on technical stuff and keeping it simple to understand

Makes him look good

McWilliams is just a bluffer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I have listened to some of the podcasts, I think he can be pretty accurate enough of the time. But god him and the other guy sound so affected, and that awful intro music.... he should listen to Dunphy and tone the thing down so it doesn’t sound so “American”.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    Makes him look good

McWilliams is just a bluffer

It's still entertaining though.
    But it is just that, entertainment.

It seems pleasing to hear how complex things can be wrapped up in an easy listening narrative.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I like the intro to the pod, the sounds bites from the financial collapse work well with the theme of the pod.

Dunphy's guitar intro can be jarring at times.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I like the intro to the pod, the sounds bites from the financial collapse work well with the theme of the pod.

Dunphy's guitar intro can be jarring at times.

It sounds like David's co host or IT guy came up with them because they don't really mean anything "what on earth is happening on wall st"; "the economic indicators" ; etc - I've never heard that on a news bulletin! They all sound like they were recorded together. Still, I agree, fits well with the show.

Also, when you listen to any jingle often enough, it gets jarring. So it doesn't bother me, it's just something to signpost that you are in the right place, doesn't have to be Beethoven.

Latest podcast on the election had some interesting talking points. Fine Gael is the party of the Normans and Fianna Fail the party of the gaels! I'd like to read the academic paper he mentioned.

It was a nice story I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭radharc

Latest podcast on the election had some interesting talking points. Fine Gael is the party of the Normans and Fianna Fail the party of the gaels! I'd like to read the academic paper he mentioned.

It was a nice story I suppose.

The anecdote at the start about the two grandfathers was very interesting and, in a funny way, made me feel quite proud of how our society generally overcame the war of independence / civil war.

radharc wrote: »
    The anecdote at the start about the two grandfathers was very interesting and, in a funny way, made me feel quite proud of how our society generally overcame the war of independence / civil war.

Yeah, really enjoyed that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭bamayang

God i would listen to that statistician fella regarding election polls, all day long. Man knew his industry inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I think this podcast would be better if they lost the sidekick

Now I’m not an expert
    Can you explain it to me now
    An ordinary joe like me

He gets names and quotes wrong also

I get he is there to act like the common man doing some pub talk but it’s not needed

Dunphy has nobody with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I think this podcast would be better if they lost the sidekick

Now I’m not an expert
    Can you explain it to me now
    An ordinary joe like me

He gets names and quotes wrong also

I get he is there to act like the common man doing some pub talk but it’s not needed

Dunphy has nobody with him

Ya he over does the dob****e routine and the forced cackle laugh is very irritating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I like him anyway, and think he helps the podcast.

One person just talking away by himself can get a bit boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I actually like him too but yeh the pub stuff is a bit lame but also makes it listenable.

• Advertisement

The pub chat is almost certainly scripted as it seems to segue nicely into the topic at hand. Not a bad thing if you don't spot it. But if you spot it, it can sound a bit off.

Advertisement