Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Sorry, just seeing this now. Have you played it at all? It's got that awkward engine they used for 3-4 that's a bit too stiff to ever really get on with. What's more, the narrative is dumb as rocks (the whole rubber-bullet craic is actually beyond parody). Which is fine, if it gets the game where it needs to go but, in usual Yakuza fashion, it forces you to stop and smell the dumb roses in the world's longest, totally unskippable cutscenes. I usually find the arcs in a Yakuza game to be charming, if not a bit exhausting but 4's outstayed their welcome in record fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Noted lads. I've also decided to jailbreak one of my PS3 consoles. Might as well since it's sitting there doing nothing. This process is a lot longer and more tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Think one or two of ye mentioned the Perturbator gig? Rescheduled to next November and moved to The Academy. Raging, I was really looking forward to it. It's been a shite year!

Fortunately Health are still with them but Author & Punisher are gone.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm dying to go to a good gig. And unfortunately one of the gigs I want to see has been delayed quite a bit and I feel the band has sold out in the mean time by doing a children's CGI movie soundtrack 😱

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know Covid has been a tough time for everyone. I made a pretty big **** up in work today and got in lots of trouble over something very simple.

Just remember guys, no matter how badly you fucked up just remember that Edge magazine gave Gunstar Heroes 6/10 in their first issue.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,116 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You’ve been waiting for that Smash Mouth gig since the pre-Shrek days 😢

I'm not going to sit in silence while you bad mouth Smash Mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

Watched that earlier, seems like a nice setup. I especially like the drop in controller adapters. Might pick one up at some stage to pair with a crt.

Slightly disappointing to hear Neil take the "it's not software emulation!" sales pitch, straight out of the Analogue book of product promotion. I know he has to sell the product, but don't make it sound like a Pi2 is as good as software emulation gets, which this quite obviously craps all over. He's an intelligent man, and I know he knows better, so it came across as a bit of a pitch to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

6/10 you say...

Too generous by half!

Covid, yep, tough time is right!

I haven't seen the inside of work for over a week while I wait for Covid to run its course.

Absolute louser of a dose it was, and I'm double vaccinated!

Still, negative now, thank the gods!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,513 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retrotink currently in stock if anyone is looking for one, probably sell out in the next few minutes

Edit - they're still there, must have gotten a good few more in this time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sold out now. That’s probably close to €400 to your door here in Ireland? What am I missing here or what’s the attraction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

Prob the best scaler to use retro gear on a modern display. Pricey but if it suits your needs it's the way to go I'd say

Master of the Universe

Came to 320 euro, now fingers crossed I don't get hit with tax...!

Ah I don't have space for a massive CRT at the moment so have had to look into the world of scalers. From what I've been reading, this is the best one on the market at the moment, especially when it comes to scaling 480i.

If you think about it. It's 400 euros so that every retro console you have will look good on a modern display.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

DHL? I paid €67.18 on €275 + shipping for my RetroTink 5x. It's pretty difficult to avoid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Not too difficult if via An Post, nigh on impossible via courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

If you can get your stuff from them, had 2 parcels sent back lately, know almost 10 people in the same boat now.

Ran out of time the Buyee warehouse so had to fork out for FedEx so I wasn't playing international parcel pong for another month.

Quality videogame retrospective journalism and research here:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They just make it worse, it's like "I know you believe I know nothing about videogames, but let me confirm that for you"

Master of the Universe

I need to vent!

Been selling a lot of stuff for the last while to great effect, I had one person recently make an offer on my sealed Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii. I let it go for a good bit less than market rate, just wanted to get rid of it recently.

Person gets on to me today, game 'wasn't sealed', I sold them a dud basically and they weren't happy.

I know for a fact the game was sealed as I bought it in Argos sealed and it's been sitting in my collection, sealed, ever since.

Pushed a little more and here's what actually happened.

They got the game, weren't happy with how the outer labels were sitting on the box. So decided to 're-centre them' (whatever the feck that means)

While they were doing that, they came loose, so they decided to 'have a look inside the box to make sure everything was sealed'.

Then threw a wobbly when the game inside the (sealed) outer box wasn't shrink wrapped and get on to me wondering 'what I was going to do about this' as I hadn't actually sold them a sealed game.

The mind boggles.

I sold you a sealed game. The outer box was sealed. You opened the outer box, making it no longer a 'sealed game'. What's inside the box isn't always necessarily sealed in addition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,116 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Think it’s as simple as Xenoblade collector’s editions came with unsealed game boxes, TBH. Videos from YouTube from Europe show only the outer boxed sealed. Dude’s got no leg to stand on - he unsealed the outer box, so entirely his fault.

https://youtu.be/999OljX90vg

Also he sounds like a reseller so **** him.

Master of the Universe

Thanks a million for this!!! I was trying to find a picture online of the contents but was having no luck. This puts it to bed fairly quickly!

Master of the Universe

haha! To be honest I'm bloody annoyed that I kept a game sealed for many many years and he eejit just goes and opens it in one foul swoop.

If I'd known that and what I'd get for it I'd have opened it myself years ago!

It's a pretty incredible RPG as well. One of my favs. Would have preferred it went to someone that appreciated it. At least there's a remaster on Switch to enjoy.

Master of the Universe

How's the Switch remaster actually? It get the HD treatment?

I've played it a couple of times, last time was on the 3DS. Was amazing to see it on a handheld at the time but it sure has not aged well!

They added a standalone expansion to it which is quite substantial in content.

As for the remaster, I've not played it myself, I'll go back to the expansion but the base game won't be revisited. It took me about 120 hours to finish it last time! I heard it's good if pretty modest. Some improved texture work and much more consistent performance but nothing mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah I was headed to that too. Pretty ****....I really wanted to see author and punisher too, **** it what can you do.

A bit of advice needed, please.

I've an item, non-gaming, coming from Amazon.

A cheap thing, only €14.20

Supposed to be here in a day, it's sitting in Customs in Swords since, four days now.

And I have no idea how to get it moving again.

Any idea how I might contact them to get it along?

I can't find a contact number for them.