Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

West Cork

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Aidric wrote: »
    Latest episode strengthens my belief in quoted theory. The Gardai wanted to speak to French persons of interest but were stonewalled by red tape on the French side. Seems that a lot of the questions put by the Gardai to French authorities were never followed up. All they got from her husband was a statement. That seems bizarre in a murder inquiry.

Have to agree always thought the husband knows more than he lets on,
    His legal team probably looked at how the Garda handled the case and thought this is brilliant no chance this can ever come back on you,
    Remember he wasn't your average citizen he had many friends in high places

He seemed so uninterested in the Murder of his wife its bizzare,

Ian was the perfect patsy & almost enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Have to agree always thought the husband knows more than he lets on,
    His legal team probably looked at how the Garda handled the case and thought this is brilliant no chance this can ever come back on you,
    Remember he wasn't your average citizen he had many friends in high places

He seemed so uninterested in the Murder of his wife its bizzare,

Ian was the perfect patsy & almost enjoyed it

Patsy indeed, an oddball prime for framing. As Bailey's solicitor pointed out in an earlier episode there is no forensic evidence linked to Bailey. Additionally where is the motive?

The French were keen to wrap this up in a show trial but were sorely lacking when it came to questioning of persons of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just finished it

Thought it was very good.

Really gives a great insight into Bailey and his character, you can hear it word he says.
    But that does not mean he did it.

It's a real shame that the Farrell evidence is so f**ked up.

Was it Bailey she saw at Kilfadda Bridge ?
    Was it an unknown other person with a dark complexion ?
    Who was in the car with her ?
    Could he identify the person ?
    Did she even see anyone at all ?

I read up about the Galway travel agent angle.
    Seems completely unrelated.
    A man walks into a travel agent in Loughrea at 2:30 on the Monday
    looking for a hotel near Dublin Airport and also for the numbers of bed and breakfasts in west Cork, as he had left one without paying.
    West Cork is huge so the B+B could have been anywhere, and if he was fleeing a murder scene and planning in getting out of Ireland as quick as possible what was he doing in Loughrea.
    It was on the old Galway to Dublin road but a trip from Kilfadda Bridge to main street Loughrea would have been a big journey in the winter of 1996, and totally unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just finished it

Thought it was very good.

Really gives a great insight into Bailey and his character, you can hear it word he says.
    But that does not mean he did it.

It's a real shame that the Farrell evidence is so f**ked up.

Was it Bailey she saw at Kilfadda Bridge ?
    Was it an unknown other person with a dark complexion ?
    Who was in the car with her ?
    Could he identify the person ?
    Did she even see anyone at all ?

I read up about the Galway travel agent angle.
    Seems completely unrelated.
    A man walks into a travel agent in Loughrea at 2:30 on the Monday
    West Cork is huge so the B+B could have been anywhere, and if he was fleeing a murder scene and planning in getting out of Ireland as quick as possible what was he doing in Loughrea.
    It was on the old Galway to Dublin road but a trip from Kilfadda Bridge to main street Loughrea would have been a big journey in the winter of 1996, and totally unnecessary.

Iv asked around with some Cork natives and its mentioned on the other thread but sounds like Maire Farrell is an absolute chancer and nothing she said can be taking as the truth ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Thought i knew enough about this case from the news over the years.

Just finished this and realised I only had 20%.

Excellent podcast imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I got all 14 free via Google Podcast app.

No signups.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭cudsy1

Finally listened to it after hearing about it literally since the 90s.

Indo explainer pod had probably similar episode to Dunphy Clifford pod mentioned earlier

link here

https://m.independent.ie/podcasts/the-indo-daily/the-best-of-the-indo-daily-sophie-toscan-du-plantiers-murder-the-unanswered-questions-41211790.html

Anyone watch doc/s? I've heard podcast is better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

There's been hopes raised many times before. I'll believe in progress when there's some tangible results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

So the basis of the wanted suspect in France was identified by Marie Farrell?

I think we can ignore that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The trouble with a habitual liar is you can't tell when they are lying and when they are telling the truth. They aren't lying all the time but you can't tell without checking their story.

If the gardaí have a DNA profile, even a partial one, it may be enough to confirm or refute a statement.

AFAIK there is reason to believe the person in question may have been in the country at the time so it would appear to be a piece of information worth following up even if it only ends up eliminating someone from the investigation. Who knows it may yet prove to be valuable information.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheTempest

Great balanced podcast.

Bailey is undoubtedly a POS who only cares about himself and wants to keep his name in the tabloids whatever the reason. I'm not sure he's capable of the murder due to his alcoholism and impulsivity, and the pure lack of evidence etc. I'd be more than happy to see him go down for it but based on proper evidence not the French farce shite.

Advertisement