Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

That was my plan also to hard wire a spare remote to a Sonoff Pro and let this pulse it.

I have bought a RTU 5035 and wired this to the garage door, and can GSM call this unit and it pulsed the garage door to open it. I havent a way to close the door remotly.

As the garage door only auto opens. it press and hold a button on the remote to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keg

Has anyone any experience with Came electric gate motors and the Came connect app? The functionality of the app sounds interesting. How reliable is Came as a brand vs. Benica?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keg

keg wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with Came electric gate motors and the Came connect app? The functionality of the app sounds interesting. How reliable is Came as a brand vs. Benica?

Any experience anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

keg wrote: »

I cannot say much about Benica as I do not have much experience with it but Came is a brand I have been working with since the 90's.
    I have no hesitation in using Came equipment and it is our first choice.
    As for the Came Connect App, I did a training course on it and it is impressive.

HI Kub,

can you tell me more about the cameconnect I have Frog kit fitted. Do you know home much its costs?

Thanks

• Advertisement

tech wrote: »
    HI Kub,

can you tell me more about the cameconnect I have Frog kit fitted. Do you know home much its costs?

Thanks

How old is your frog kit and do you know what particular model of controller you have there?

I cannot remember the cost of the Came Connect unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Anybody know if its a DIY job to order and add a gsm dialler to the current gate setup we have? 2 years old CAME unit

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Supply companies are not supposed to sell gate equipment to "Unregistered" people . Had this problem recently when I had to replace an underground motor .So I purchased a new motor from UK about 40% cheaper anyway . Fitted it myself and Bobs your Uncle .

Homer wrote: »
    Anybody know if its a DIY job to order and add a gsm dialler to the current gate setup we have? 2 years old CAME unit

HI ya

I got the AES Prime 6 and its a greats job, but I since purchased a RTU 5035 unit to tweak the garage door and this cost 35e!! and works a treat it sends a pulse to the motor and the door opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

Ordered the BroadLink rm Pro from Bangood a couple of weeks ago to automate my electric gate ,did a quick setup today
    Happy to say it works , it’s powered inside shed that’s near to the gate and Wi-Fi is good
    I added a 1 gang switch in the broadlink app (iOS) and worked first time adding the RF from the fob whereas the Sonoff wouldn’t pick up the RF signal .

Delivered ,the Broadlink cost €43 from Spanish warehouse .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mountai wrote: »
    Supply companies are not supposed to sell gate equipment to "Unregistered" people

Completely untrue which is why no links can be found to support this.

Just like alarm equipment, CCTV equipment and electrical accessories anyone is permitted to purchase them.

It would seem to me that some vested interests have attempted to pressurize suppliers into only selling to registered installers but have failed abysmally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm looking to get automatic gate actuators.

I have mains power at one gate post, but would like to avoid having to cut a channel in the driveway to supply power to the other gate.

If I get a solar powered system will I still have to run a wire across the driveway for the control signal or do any of them work by radio signal?

2011 wrote: »
    Completely untrue which is why no links can be found to support this.

Just like alarm equipment, CCTV equipment and electrical accessories anyone is permitted to purchase them.

It would seem to me that some vested interests have attempted to pressurize suppliers into only selling to registered installers but have failed abysmally.

Whilst what you mentioned is indeed true, the huge issus with gate automation is that the HSA have issued guidelines of same and that automatic gates have killed and injured people in the last few years.

We as installers now have to put safety above all else when automating gates and have to risk assess for every eventuallity.
    The automatic gate systems have to comply with machinery directives and i advise anyone here who is thinking of a DIY gate installation to please think again because if anything happens to anyone afterwards then it is the person that worked on the automation that will be held responsible.

blackbox wrote: »
    I'm looking to get automatic gate actuators.

I have mains power at one gate post, but would like to avoid having to cut a channel in the driveway to supply power to the other gate.

If I get a solar powered system will I still have to run a wire across the driveway for the control signal or do any of them work by radio signal?

As per my previous post and most of mine since the HSA directive was published I would advise you to employ a professional contractor to automate your gates.

But to answer your query, your controller will be fitted on the side of the gate that your mains cable is at.
    From the gate controller the cabling goes to everything else, therefore both motors are wired from the controller.
    Sorry but the way it works is, the controller has to provide the power to the motors, when you need the gates to move.

I hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm in the market for electric gates. Can anybody recommend somebody to me? I just want to make sure I get a good company to install them.

where are you located

tech wrote:
    where are you located
    Midlands.

Don't know anyone up the Midlands

Have you thoughts on the following

Intercom in house
    gsm intercom
    Gsm gate opener if not going for gsm intercom
    Keypad access
    Gate style
    Lights on entrance walls

Have you cables ran back to house, power , cat 5 or poly poly?
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Midlands.

tech wrote:
    Don't know anyone up the Midlands
    I don't know anyone
    tech wrote:
    Have you thoughts on the following

Intercom in house gsm intercom Gsm gate opener if not going for gsm intercom Keypad access Gate style Lights on entrance walls
    Want intercom, keypad and fobs.
    tech wrote:
    Have you cables ran back to house, power , cat 5 or poly poly?
    I have lights in the garden so have power right beside the gates.

I don't know anyone

Are these lights on a switch, if the switch is off the gates wont have power? unless you have spare cores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't know anyone

Think again about the intercom.
    Anyone you want to talk to will have your mobile no.
    Do you really want to be having conversations with random callers, salesmen etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭blackbox

kub wrote: »
    As per my previous post and most of mine since the HSA directive was published I would advise you to employ a professional contractor to automate your gates.

But to answer your query, your controller will be fitted on the side of the gate that your mains cable is at.
    From the gate controller the cabling goes to everything else, therefore both motors are wired from the controller.
    Sorry but the way it works is, the controller has to provide the power to the motors, when you need the gates to move.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks - very helpful. No sense then in going to the extra expense of solar.

After a bit of digging (literally) I found an existing duct under the driveway today.

I believe that the kit i'm considering is fully compliant but I'll review that HSA directive before proceeding.

blackbox wrote: »
    Thanks - very helpful. No sense then in going to the extra expense of solar.

After a bit of digging (literally) I found an existing duct under the driveway today.

I believe that the kit i'm considering is fully compliant but I'll review that HSA directive before proceeding.

That is incredible luck, do the lotto soon ;)

That HSA documentation requires a strong coffee, have a read of it and thank you for approching this the right way

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭maw

Any recommendations for installers in South Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Alittlehelp45

Hi,

Just wondering if it necessary to have a PSA licenced installer for domestic electric gates. A close friend is retired and no longer holds a licence and is offering to install motors for less than the market rate and I just want to understand any implications of using him e.g. insurance etc. The HSA document references “component person” but doesn’t specify licensed.
    Thanks

Hi,

Just wondering if it necessary to have a PSA licenced installer for domestic electric gates. A close friend is retired and no longer holds a licence and is offering to install motors for less than the market rate and I just want to understand any implications of using him e.g. insurance etc. The HSA document references “component person” but doesn’t specify licensed.
    Thanks

The short answer is yes, it comes under the sphere of Access Control.

HSA do not give a care about PSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Has anyone any experience with slider gates. No particular reason I'm considering bar I like the look of the gates themselves.

I did talk to one meal fabricator and he said the cantileaver are better as they don't run on rollers which do need minding/replacing. Also as I want a fully solid gate they are supposed to be better as a solid center opening can be put under more pressure in windy days.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

As above, interested in a single, sliding gate, but the point about maintenance is a good one.

Based in mid-Louth if anyone has as suggestions for installers.

bifl wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with slider gates. No particular reason I'm considering bar I like the look of the gates themselves.

I did talk to one meal fabricator and he said the cantileaver are better as they don't run on rollers which do need minding/replacing. Also as I want a fully solid gate they are supposed to be better as a solid center opening can be put under more pressure in windy days.

Thanks

Your fabricator is right, there is indeed less physical maintenance on the actual gates with a cantilever design.
    Yes sliders are better than swinging gates when it comes to wind tolerances etc.
    Having said all that, the health and safety considerations on a slider are usually more than those on a swinging set up.

Have you got the necessary space for a Slider ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

kub wrote: »
    Your fabricator is right, there is indeed less physical maintenance on the actual gates with a cantilever design.
    Yes sliders are better than swinging gates when it comes to wind tolerances etc.
    Having said all that, the health and safety considerations on a slider are usually more than those on a swinging set up.

Have you got the necessary space for a Slider ?

Yes, I have the space to run the slider so that wouldn't be a problem.
    I fancy a solid gate for privacy so a slider and preferably a cantilever would be the job. I just have to get a price on both a center opening and slider and see if the price difference is worth it.

Have kids but I presume the slider has the necessary sensors, but could see how they would be possibly more dangerous.

Advertisement