Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gates

Options
  • 31-07-2017 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    Please help!
    I'm looking to get (a) gates installed (2) have them automated.

Anything I've looked up is so confusing. They only seem to do the electrical work. I'm guessing I need to contact both separately, an electrician and a gate fabricator?

I've had one quote already - 4,800 for a very modest size steel gate and underground automation system. That seems very expensive to me. The cables are already fitted since I built the house only a few years ago. I went to gateinstallers.ie and anyone else in the Wexford area who you could advise?

Building a house was less stress than this, seriously!!!!
    THANKS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Sorry is the €4,800 including for the gates, the automation and vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JBWexford

kub wrote: »
    Sorry is the €4,800 including for the gates, the automation and vat?

Hi, yes, 4,800 to include VAT (but overall, it's 5,000 to paint the gates too). People have said that 4k max would be reasonable. They seem like very genuine guys. I've no issue with paying but I hate paying above the odds when it's not necessary. It seems a lot considering that the cables are all fitted already from the house to the gate and the guide prices on their website (the company employing them) are a lot lower. 1,000 over budget feels a bit steep.

I've been quoted 2,600 for the automation alone (underground, CAME) and 1,950 + vat for the gate. I've read a few posts saying that Automation should be approx. 2k.

Well I am speaking as a pro here and on average now, bearing in mind all of the H&S stuff that are now associated with auto gates I think for that Came quote it is around correct.

With regard to the actual gates, I cannot be precise here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JBWexford

Well I am speaking as a pro here and on average now, bearing in mind all of the H&S stuff that are now associated with auto gates I think for that Came quote it is around correct.

With regard to the actual gates, I cannot be precise here.

Thanks for your reply. I've arranged for two more quotes so I'll make a decision based on those and their references. Many thanks for taking the time to write, appreciated a lot.

No problem at all, just make sure that each installer is taking the safety side of things seriously.

If I can dig out the H&S requirements of auto gates, I will PM them to you later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I paid €100 per foot for really nice metal gates, including dipping, painting and installing. He brought his own electrician, who charged about €2k roughly, cables were already laid. I had my own gate posts already up as well.

I'll pm you the name of the gate maker, nice bloke and easy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

All prices are vat inclusive. North Wexford area.

Underground all electric work Italian make DEA not cheap Chinese rubbish. Gsm dialler and keypad and 2 fobs.
    €2200.

14 feet entrance 2' metal gates with nice detail. Galvanised and black powder coated.
    €1900 fitted.

Total €4100 just completed this week.

NB The electrician needs to have the qualifications in
    electric gate installation.

NB The electrician needs to have the qualifications in electric gate installation.

What qualifications are these?

What qualifications are these?

A PSA licenced contractor. They are usually a qualified electrician as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

A PSA licenced contractor. They are usually a qualified electrician as well.

No not usually. Most of the installers i know are not qualified electricians.

They don't need to be

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭insullation

I installed electric gates a couple of years ago and I sort of regret it now. It was a good job at the time but they have given me trouble on a number of occasions and are not cheap to fix. One guy explained that any motor buried in the ground with water running into it will give trouble and I suppose that makes sense. But my main issue is that I feel neighbours are less likely to call in randomly since I installed them as they see them as keep out sign and I miss neighbours calling for chat. I could leave them open but after spending what I did on them it would be a waste. Your quotes seem reasonable...try a get a couple of years guarantee from installer.

Stoner wrote: »
    No not usually. Most of the installers i know are not qualified electricians.

They don't need to be

They don't have to be, but if they are connecting back to the fuse box, then they have to be a qualified electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I installed electric gates a couple of years ago and I sort of regret it now. It was a good job at the time but they have given me trouble on a number of occasions and are not cheap to fix. One guy explained that any motor buried in the ground with water running into it will give trouble and I suppose that makes sense. But my main issue is that I feel neighbours are less likely to call in randomly since I installed them as they see them as keep out sign and I miss neighbours calling for chat. I could leave them open but after spending what I did on them it would be a waste. Your quotes seem reasonable...try a get a couple of years guarantee from installer.

Surely you should be used when your out or on holidays why lock them if your in and you want people to pop around.

Realistically they only offer deterrent they won't solve any determined criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shootermcgee

I seen a homemade system where he used parts of a lorry like the hydraulic pump and rams of a taillift .he brought power out to the gates it uses 2 24volt battery and a large battery charger to keep them charged .a simple keyswitch to open and close the gates it was a lot cheaper than a purpose built kit .it works well outside his house as he hid all of the components in a bush

I'm just making the point to the OP to consider if electric gates are necessary in his situation. It's a lot of money and will cost him going forward in my experience. A lot of people have electric gates that don't really need them...including myself. If they break again I will not fix them. I'll Just convert them to regular gates

I seen a homemade system where he used parts of a lorry like the hydraulic pump and rams of a taillift .he brought power out to the gates it uses 2 24volt battery and a large battery charger to keep them charged .a simple keyswitch to open and close the gates it was a lot cheaper than a purpose built kit .it works well outside his house as he hid all of the components in a bush

Wouldn't fancy a kid getting caught in that....and keeps an battery charger in a bush...what could possibly go wrong...

Wouldn't fancy a kid getting caught in that....

+1 Electric gates can be a killer if not installed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shootermcgee

Wouldn't fancy a kid getting caught in that....and keeps an battery charger in a bush...what could possibly go wrong...

It's all enclosed in a waterproof steel box and it's quite safe for children because it needs a key to open and close

Underground all electric work Italian make DEA not cheap Chinese rubbish. Gsm dialler and keypad and 2 fobs. €2200.

In all my years I have yet to come across a Chinese made automatic gate system.

The Italians have it wrapped up.

• Advertisement

I'm just making the point to the OP to consider if electric gates are necessary in his situation. It's a lot of money and will cost him going forward in my experience. A lot of people have electric gates that don't really need them...including myself. If they break again I will not fix them. I'll Just convert them to regular gates

I agree with you, they have a snob element attached to them.
    I have installed probably hundreds of auto gates over the years and only 1 that was actually practically needed in a house was one which was close to a busy road, there were young kids in the household and one of the parents was in a wheelchair.

When I hear the word security in the same sentence as auto gates it makes me smile, auto gates are for convenience.

In all my years I have yet to come across a Chinese made automatic gate system.

The Italians have it wrapped up.

Well they are out there, talking to the guy who installed my system. He had to try and help someone who has them installed. He has installed thousands so I'm sure he has came across them.

Well they are out there, talking to the guy who installed my system. He had to try and help someone who has them installed. He has installed thousands so I'm sure he has came across them.

Sorry I am not at all doubting that they are out there but I am sure any reputable company would stick with what they know best and that the equipment cost is secondary in any calculations. No offence to our Chinese friends of course

Sorry I am not at all doubting that they are out there but I am sure any reputable company would stick with what they know best and that the equipment cost is secondary in any calculations. No offence to our Chinese friends of course

Exactly, and it was installed by an non psa contractor. Basically a chancer who's price was a lot cheaper than the proper installers. The customer is now paying the price.

Exactly, and it was installed by an non psa contractor. Basically a chancer who's price was a lot cheaper than the proper installers. The customer is now paying the price.

Unfortunately you pay for what you get

Unfortunately you pay for what you get

+100%

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

@ JB Wexford
    How did you get on with the additional quotes. I got a quote here in Cork for € 2600 for the CAME underground system as well

@kub - have your customers been able to get relief under the HRI - Home Renovation Incentive scheme for the installation work you did for automatic gates.

Tweaky wrote: »
    @ JB Wexford
    How did you get on with the additional quotes. I got a quote here in Cork for € 2600 for the CAME underground system as well

@kub - have your customers been able to get relief under the HRI - Home Renovation Incentive scheme for the installation work you did for automatic gates.

Yes they have indeed, just added the invoice i gave them with other works carried out in their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭elperello

listermint wrote: »
    Surely you should be used when your out or on holidays why lock them if your in and you want people to pop around.

Realistically they only offer deterrent they won't solve any determined criminal

A Garda told me that the type of people that you put up electric gates to deter are wary of them even when they are open. Apparently they are afraid of being locked in if someone presses a button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 pango

I HAD AUTOMATED GATES BUILT AND FITTED BY AN ''PSA''REGISTERED CONTRACTOR SOME YEARS AGO AND OVER THE PAST 16 MONTHS HAVE COST ME 1400 EURO IN REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE. I JUST CANNOT DEPEND ON THEM AND AS I LIVE ALONE, AM DEAF AND 84 YEARS OLD I FEEL VERY STRESSED AND VULNERABLE.
    AS THE CONTRACTOR HAS ALL THE CODES AND ELECTRIC DATA ETC AND BEEN THE ONLY ONE DEALING WITH THE GATES CAN I NOW CHANGE TO ANOTHER CONTRACTOR.
    I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONFIDENCE IN HIM ANY MORE

Advertisement