Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Today I listened to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Oh_Is_This_Me?

Arghus wrote: »
    Listened to an episode of The Writers Panel on Nerdist.

Well, it would be more accurate to say that I tried to listen. Maybe the worst case I've ever heard of a pod filled with people who love, love, absolutely adore the sound of their own voice. They all sounded very knowledgeable and all, but after about five minutes of them screeching and honking over each other, I had to bail. It was bad.

Does anyone else find this problem with a lot of US pop culture pods? They can be full of interesting aspects, but in at least 50% of them, the sound of whoever is behind the mic banging on eventually drives me demented.

I will listen to The Writers Panel as background noise. I always want to be interested, especially when it's someone who works on a show I like. You can tell these people are writers.......for the most part they all like the spark or charisma needed for an oral/ aural medium.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

I've justed started listening to the Presidential podcast. It goes through each US president week by week and tells their story.

I have only listened to the first few but I am finding it hugely enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sassenach

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Big fan of Sword and Scale. I saw another poster mention it. Really well put together show. On another note...Anyone else not get into season two of serial?

Never got into series 2 of Serial I was so disappointed

Love Sword and Scale or rather loved it - lately its annoying me how much he goes on about needing Patreon

Also love Casefile - Australian guy very easy to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Finished Season 1 of Tanis. Found it to be a bit of a mixed bag. I enjoyed it more in the beginning when they were setting out the mystery, especially the way they tried to link it into real world history. But as it went on it got very convoluted, and a lot of the twists weren't as surprising as the writer thought, and in some cases were blatantly obvious. Is also let down by poor voice acting in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

One i'm finding really good is http://www.sodajerker.com/ it's a couple of song writers from liverpool chatting to other song writers just about song writing. Some really good guests including Paul Simon but one interview i really liked was with Eg White who has written/co-writen some big songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

A few of my favorites:

Alledgely with Theo Von and Matthew Cole Weiss.

Anna Farris is unqualified.

Here's the thing with Alec Baldwin.

Friday night comedy on BBC Radio 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Planet Money, good update on the Wells Fargo situation.

Science Vs. re anti-depressants.

Very interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Science VS is excellent. As is Reply All. Really should try more of the Gimlet podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The Bugle is back....hallelujah :-)

John Oliver will be missed no doubt but the new format seems to be working pretty well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Here's the thing with Alec Baldwin.

Haven't tried the others yet but this is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Satriale wrote: »
    Haven't tried the others yet but this is very good.

The latest one with Michael Stipe is excellent (may be biased as I'm a huge REM fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Just started Crimetown. From the creators of The Jinx.

Enjoying it so far!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I finished Accused, just 8 episodes. Good, sad. Quite like Serial in its delivery, format and structure.

From Our Own Correspondent - BBC. The bit about female genital mutilation was horrifying, particularly since it was done by women.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

frink wrote: »
    Just started Crimetown. From the creators of The Jinx.

Enjoying it so far!

Same here. Assume you heard of it from Reply All which is another great podcast? Listened to the first Crimetown and it's good, I've subscribed.
    For anyone who hasn't listened, it a true crime documentary style podcast about the mafia run city of Providence, Rhode Island and how even the mayor was involved with organised crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Crimetown is fairly good but, holey moley, there is a lot of ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Latest Guardian science podcast while shopping in Dunnes.

Latest Guardian football podcast while working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dball

some serious president elect Trump bashing going on here - i enjoyed it:D:D:D
    MSNBC Rachel Maddow - daily pods

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

How Did This Get Made Ep 149 - Lawnmower Man.

Pretty great episode. I remember hating Lawnmower Man when it came out - this brought back lots of hilarious memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rickfisher1988

Missing Maura Murray podcast - review episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

BackforFPL wrote: »
    How Did This Get Made Ep 149 - Lawnmower Man.

Pretty great episode. I remember hating Lawnmower Man when it came out - this brought back lots of hilarious memories.

Brilliant podcast, especially when you know the movie well

• Advertisement

Wittertainment - Brussels sprouts bickering.

Unsolved - true crime thing.

Questions for Lennon is back for another season on the Howl App. Listened to the first two today. Both solid.

If you like Mike Hanford's Lennon character and his ramblings then this is great stuff. Although still not as good as when Lennon appears on Comedy Bang Bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Drums.
    I don't like the impression, but the character is great.

Do you reckon the widow Howl App is worth $5 a month?

Drums.
    I don't like the impression, but the character is great.

Do you reckon the widow Howl App is worth $5 a month?

I find it's pretty good - a few worthwhile series on it and they are putting new stuff on it all the time. Give it a go for the free month and see what you reckon.

As for the Lennon impression - half the fun is how terrible an impression it is. The first CBB episodes he was on as the character, Hanford clearly didn't have a clue about Lennon himself at all. I really enjoy him - the rambling far-too detailed stories are brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Stranglers - if you like True Crime try this, its well produced, clear audio but it does have ad's but whatever .... its free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Tracks. It's a BBC conspiracy theory drama. Instantly compelling stuff. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Also another BBC podcast called 50 Things that made the Global Economy. 8 minute episodes about topics like the diesel engine, shipping containers, banks, fertiliser. Again, excellent podcast.

Tom Hanks guest hosted Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. :D

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Currently mid Guardian Football Weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Parchment wrote: »
    Stranglers - if you like True Crime try this, its well produced, clear audio but it does have ad's but whatever .... its free!
    Tracks. It's a BBC conspiracy theory drama. Instantly compelling stuff. Can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm looking forward to listening to both of these :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

With the ever worsening radio situation in Ireland, I'm looking for podcasts!

Listened to "Dubland" for the first time today. At the beginning I thought that the bad language was just unnecessary and annoying. By 10 mins in, I was really laughing properly. Had a couple of great laughs at the stories.

Will listen again

Advertisement