Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Furlong Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Really enjoying the podcast this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

IanOBo wrote:
    Really enjoying the podcast this season.

Noel Hayes is still a loss but very good show all the same bar Kennedy's odd bit of shameless after-timing and withheld info.

Blake and Delargy are an excellent listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I like the show but find it harder to listen to the host Emmett Kennedy as time goes on especially when he fake laughs at the top of his voice. They have the ATR sponsorship now which is good in that it keeps the show afloat but also means the high frequency(almost weekly by now) kills the special feeling of old when they'd do more the big festivals and the odd hit and run out of the blue. I make a point to listen in when Channing is on. I like Blake and Delargy also. It only gets a corporate feel when Paddy Mullins is on, its like a sponsored love in and the whole thing is a big Q&A with Paddy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Noel Hayes is still a loss but very good show all the same bar Kennedy's odd bit of shameless after-timing and withheld info.

Blake and Delargy are an excellent listen.
    Add Tony Keenan to that too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

califano wrote: »
    I like the show but find it harder to listen to the host Emmett Kennedy as time goes on especially when he fake laughs at the top of his voice.

This is the problem with it now, too much of it is geared towards "Look at us having unreal banter!"

It can be a good listen but I gave up on it last season as a lot of their 'in' jokes weren't even funny but they were at pains to point out how much comedy was in the podcasts.

Listened to a couple this year for NH but I think I might give up on it cos Kennedy does my head in. These roars of "Go on <insert horse name>" throughout can be quite grating. Shame really cos when you strip away the bullshít jokes it can be quite good but I don't need a 90 minute podcast that could be 30 mins if you took out the gravy/Henderson/Don Poli etc jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

I really enjoy it. It is streets ahead of anything else for national hunt fans. I pretty much find all of the guests entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I enjoy it a lot, the 3 boys Delary, Blake and Keenan are very knowledgeable but don't try shove it down your throat too much. Kennedy can grate at times but on the whole does a good job. I'd love if they got Robbie Mc Namara back a bit more regular but he's busy with his own horses now i'm guessing.

Can't have that Channing boy when he comes on Spoofer of the highest regard as far as i'm concerned, i had a discussion with him on a youtube Cheltenham preview and pointed out his factual inaccuracies and he deleted the whole lot, strikes me as the kind of lad that loves telling anybody that listens how great he is when he has a monkey on an 8/1 shot but will rarely mention the dough he's blown the past month backing 2 flies up a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

kfallon wrote: »
    This is the problem with it now, too much of it is geared towards "Look at us having unreal banter!"

It can be a good listen but I gave up on it last season as a lot of their 'in' jokes weren't even funny but they were at pains to point out how much comedy was in the podcasts.

Listened to a couple this year for NH but I think I might give up on it cos Kennedy does my head in. These roars of "Go on <insert horse name>" throughout can be quite grating. Shame really cos when you strip away the bullshít jokes it can be quite good but I don't need a 90 minute podcast that could be 30 mins if you took out the gravy/Henderson/Don Poli etc jokes.

Absolutely spot on, its unlistenable when the yer wan Vanessa Ryle is on, The constant mention of "Gravy Train" does my head in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

New Pod out today with Ed Chamberlain, Tony Keenan and Johnny Ward(Another knowledgeable guest)

The Mig wrote: »
    New Pod out today with Ed Chamberlain, Tony Keenan and Johnny Ward(Another knowledgeable guest)

Yeah i like Johnny too, even Sean Boyce doesn't seem too bad on it, i had an almost unhealthy dislike of him from ATR but doesn't seem as bad on the pod at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

kfallon wrote: »

Agree their "banter" is as annoying as phuck. Plus everytime Blake laughs he reminds me of Beavis or Butthead (forget which one).

Racing fraternity love an ole inside joke. Just watch McCoy on air and you can see he's trying to think of some anecdote to mention after the interviewee is finished talking. Does it all the time with the connections.

Give me Barry Geraghty and Gary O'Brien over all of them. They're both precise and to the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Gary O Brien is the finest member of the racing media a decent chap who isnt up anyones hole just does his job and can tip a winner,

I stopped listening to the Podcast when ATR took it over I found they stopped calling JP out on non jiggers and stuff like that, I cant stand the Host Emmet either hes an absolute head melter that wouldnt know a horse from a dog yet trys to act the big charlie and after time, Hayes Blake and Robbie Mac were worth listening to if you read between the lines you could get some info,

the bird they have on it sounds like a member of the royal family torture to my ears listening to hear spout rubbish, nowt wrong with the odd inside joke but they take the piss completely anyone who is listening since the start will know how good the early days were compared to now.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Gary O Brien is the finest member of the racing media a decent chap who isnt up anyones hole just does his job and can tip a winner,

I stopped listening to the Podcast when ATR took it over I found they stopped calling JP out on non jiggers and stuff like that, I cant stand the Host Emmet either hes an absolute head melter that wouldnt know a horse from a dog yet trys to act the big charlie and after time, Hayes Blake and Robbie Mac were worth listening to if you read between the lines you could get some info,

the bird they have on it sounds like a member of the royal family torture to my ears listening to hear spout rubbish, nowt wrong with the odd inside joke but they take the piss completely anyone who is listening since the start will know how good the early days were compared to now.

I think she sounds like a little fox, as in a sexy fox not a fox going around killing hens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

This thing is gone to the dogs altogether. Anyone still listening to it?

The one remaining shred of what was keeping it going was Blake and he seems to be gone AWOL. I wouldnt blame him that Kennedy lad is insufferable.
    Started the last 2, got 5 mins in. No Blake. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Haven't listened to it in a very long time but if Blake is gone from it then it must be completely awful altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Haven't listened to it in a very long time but if Blake is gone from it then it must be completely awful altogether

Have to say Blake is in a different league to most , in terms of knowledge.

I still enjoy it . Supposedly he is coming back .

May get ars- into gear on royal ascot preview on my own , Sharpish .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

I nearly crashed the car into a wall listening to their Cheltenham preview. It was utter ****e. Kennedy and Blake were like two schoolgirls with their stupid unfunny jokes and fake laughs. The chap Rix off ATR then chiming in with his equally unfunny jokes and fake country accent.

I don’t care how knowledgeable these guys are. They are morons and incredibly hard to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

The non stop smug unfunny in jokes used to be awful alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I f*ckin hate Kennedy so much. I really dislike Blake too he's just not suited to the TV cameras or microphone. Very knowledgable though and does good articles

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

I stopped listening after rixie started appearing on the show. The bantz went into overdrive at that point. It's unbearable. The show has lost it's soul, going from a punters pal to a magazine show.

Kennedy didn't last long on itv which is probably down to how irritating he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Blake & Kennedy aka Beavis & Butthead

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

The last few weeks have highlighted (if it needed to be highlighted!) that Blake has been propping the thing up for a while now in terms of his insight and knowledge. The problem with Blake is that he allows that other clown to drag him down to his level and plays along with his drivel.

Kennedy still thinks pronouncing horses names in an accent is funny. The episode two weeks ago with Rix was unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭flos1964

handsfree2 wrote: »
    I stopped listening after rixie started appearing on the show. The bantz went into overdrive at that point. It's unbearable. The show has lost it's soul, going from a punters pal to a magazine show.

Kennedy didn't last long on itv which is probably down to how irritating he is.

Would have thought that was a prerequisite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

flos1964 wrote: »
    Would have thought that was a prerequisite

Yeah, how come the rest of them are still there so?
    Don't get me wrong, I don't like Kennedy, but Chapman & Gleeson are equally as irritating and they're still working with ITV.
    Chapman only lasted one episode when he got the Dancing On Ice gig because he was that annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

mod edit: <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭flos1964

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned that stupid ugly Corkonian muppet former jockey otherwise known as Mick macfooking Fitzgerald. I foooking hate that stupid thick bastard, I would love to rip off his stupid thick mucker wankerface head and shight down his neck for a week. I hate him. He couldn't tip a winner if you paid him, what is he doing there ? He is still commentating on the flat all summer, he was a national hunt jockey ffs, get him out of there please.

Phew

Does anyone have any tips for later ?

Im sensing you dont like him....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Morgans

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned that stupid ugly Corkonian muppet former jockey otherwise known as Mick macfooking Fitzgerald. I foooking hate that stupid thick bastard, I would love to rip off his stupid thick mucker wankerface head and shight down his neck for a week. I hate him. He couldn't tip a winner if you paid him, what is he doing there ? He is still commentating on the flat all summer, he was a national hunt jockey ffs, get him out of there please.

Phew

Does anyone have any tips for later ?

Pretty sure Mick Fitzgerald is from Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Guys think you’re being a bit OTT imo. FFP has some bad aspects but it’s something. Blake is very good when he’s discussing horses. The rest ex jockeys included are just trying to earn a living if someone can do a better job I’m sure they’d be appointed by now. Fire up the YouTube channel and give it a try :)
    It’s not that easy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Morgans wrote: »
    Pretty sure Mick Fitzgerald is from Wexford.

Thanks for letting me know. It's strange because anyone I ever met from Wexford has been great craic. Where they got him from is a mystery.

I just assumed that because he was so bland and uninteresting he must have been from Cork. My bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

See Kevin Blake has announced he is leaving the Final Furlong Podcast. Decent tipper of a horse to be fair. Had a feeling this was going to happen.....

Advertisement