Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Irish Lake Boat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

If you're looking at Honda, go for the 10hp if you are considering an 8hp, exact same engine with 2 more hp.

Thanks Lewis, I got a new 6HP Yamaha, didn’t have the budget for anything more so will do for now and hopefully upgrade in a year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

doogie! wrote: »
    Thanks Lewis, I got a new 6HP Yamaha, didn’t have the budget for anything more so will do for now and hopefully upgrade in a year or 2.

Nice one.
    Yanaha make great engines.
    Where do you fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

doogie! wrote: »

The 6 hp yamaha is a nice engine and will hold it's value over the short to medium term and maybe even long term, it will match the 17ft, just be careful not to get caught out on a rough day on the lake with a smaller boat and engine. Best of luck!

Nice one.
    Yanaha make great engines.
    Where do you fish?

North Roscommon, Sligo area Lewis

The 6 hp yamaha is a nice engine and will hold it's value over the short to medium term and maybe even long term, it will match the 17ft, just be careful not to get caught out on a rough day on the lake with a smaller boat and engine. Best of luck!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sharkeyb

Anyone use a Sheelin 15ft on a smallish Lake for drift fishing for trout , thinking of one as I fish on my own and fed up handling a longer boat .

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Where are you fishing?

might be ok on a smaller lake but you’d want a 19ft for any of the big western lakes or any of the Shannon lakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

What are peoples thoughts on the MCA KingFisher? I'm planning on upgrading my 17 foot lake boat, I like the look of the king fisher. Its mainly lure fishing for Pike and trout that it will be used for, I wouldn't rule out going for the "pike fisher" model if I seen on second hand. I plan on putting a 20 (4 stroke) on the back, and leaving it attached to the boat permanently. The transom is very strong on those boats, I don't think it would be an issue, only thing thats concerning me is the the trailers the come on don't seem to allow a transom saver to be attached. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bob411

Hi, really enjoyed this thread so thanks.

Quick question has anyone any experience regarding Melvin boats by Gareth Foley?

Modelled off the burke boats as far as I know.

Its all fly fishing I do so drift capability important for me.

Started looking for a boat but the second hand stock is holding its money so well I'm thinking I would be better off buying new??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bob411

See in the previous comments that a Lynch boat is very good and a gangly boat is poor in a big wave. What if the ganly boat is made with a Lynch hull ? Maybe stupid question but better to ask lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 diablo9

Just to repeat a question asked by Bob411.Does anyone have information or opinions on Gareth Foley’s Melvin boats?How do they stack up against the Burke boat for example?I’m looking to purchase a lake boat but there is very little on line about this particular manufacturer.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sagemaster

ive never fished out of one, but I had a good look at one last Saturday on Lough Lene in Westmeath.

they’re a fine looking boat, the finish looks very good and they’re well thought out- much more so that the Sheelin boat, which are a mess to fly fish from and have many issues from the canopy to the poor floor and varnish finish and hollow metal oarpins ..

The Foley boat did look very nice and if I was in the market for a new boat I’d be taking a trip to speak to them

• Registered Users Posts: 40 topofthewind

Great thread this.

Looking for recommendations for a boat as I want to get back into fishing again and want to take the kids out for a few day trips on the river Shannon and local lakes.

I had an anglers fancy with 9.9 outboard for a good few years. Found it very safe and stable on bigger lakes (pike fishing) but was uncomfortable with just the bench seats for spins up the Shannon.

Was wondering what to look for to suit a bit of pike fishing on big lakes, occasional fly fishing and recreational day trips (with a few kids on board) up the Shanon system.

Should I be looking at getting a lake boat or something else?

Budget of €5k to €7k at a push.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cathal hughes

Hi all,

Im in the process of ordering a new DC boat (board higher and slightly wider than standard) what are people’s opinions on pedestal seats?

It’ll be used on the Corrib which I’m very familiar with, but have only ever used boats with traditional board seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

There are foldable covers that you can get for lake boats to give protection from the elements which may be a bonus for trips with kids. There are some photos of them on the Arrow Boats website.

Something like an older Orkney boat such as a Strikeliner has a built in cubby and can plane with an outboard of 25/30hp.

They are a good trolling boat and very safe and stable for big loughs but not really suitable for drifting/fly fishing.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Like everything there are advantages and disadvantages in pedestal vs board seats. Pedestals do make it easier to move around rather than climbing over boards which may be a consideration if you or some of your boat partners are elderly or have mobility issues.

Those DC boats with the comfy pedestal seats do look the the biz though.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Its nearly impossible to get a Lynch boat these days, as they are not being made any more, and anyone that has one won't be in a hurry to part ways with it. They are not without their flaws though, depending on the year of the boat, the timbers are the achilles heel but its not a massive or very expensive job to replace.

I think the lynch is 18 foot, and Ganly have a 17, 18 and 19 foot boat?

My lake boat days are behind me now, as I don't do any fly fishing off the boat I got an open boat with a planing hull. Lot more speed that I was used to on a lake boat, and a lot dryer on a windy day when up on the plane too!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Good luck with it, just put a deposit on one myself over xmas with the pedestal seats and the higher board

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ex-pat returns

Hi, firstly, apologies if this is a stupid question. I've recently returned to Ireland, fished for trout with my dad 30+ years ago, trolling & fly from traditional lough boat (Erne & Melvin mostly). I'm looking to get a boat to keep probably on the Erne, have been looking at traditional 17 - 19 ft lough boats, wife has suggested something with a small cabin (a cuddy?) so it could be used for family trips as well. I want to be able to fly fish so what are the problems with this type of boat if drifting? I'd get a small electric engine for controlling drift. Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I doubt there's a boat out there that will do both well. Ive seen lake boats with temporary or canvas cuddies but wouldn't be the best protection and would make the boat a nightmare to drift with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

This is an old thread but maybe someone can help. I'm looking at a Tangiri but can't see much online about them. Seem very well constructed, if a little heavy for an alu boat (they use 3mm sheets).

I'm also looking at Motocraft. I could be on the water for a good bit less but then the equipment and build isn't the same. Has anyone here any experience of either boat?

Hi, the Motocraft and Tangiri are very different boats, and different price points. Motocraft is a riveted boat, and the Tangiri is welded, because the Tangiri is welded, it requires thicker aluminium which makes it a heavier, more expensive boat (and more horse power to drive it). What model of Tangiri were you looking at?

Id also consider Breama, also a welded aluminium from Poland, with a similar price point to the Tangiri. Michael Conway from Conway Angling Craft sells both the Motocraft and and Breama, I don't think he sells Tangiri any more.

I seen a few new tangiri boats at a competition recently, they look fantastic on the water.

Thanks for the reply twin_beacon. I did know about the differences in the two boats alright, I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons of each and add in the price differential to come up with a justification!

I was looking at the Strin 460 or possibly the Space 440 for slightly less money. I saw Brema too, was talking to Michael but I had thought they were pricier than the Tangiri. I think I'd try to buy direct from Poland if I could.

The Motocraft appealed for the keener pricing and light weight. I'm not getting any younger and this would be a long term purchase.

Whereabouts you see the Tangiris, in Ireland?

If its a long term purchase, and if you can afford it, I'd be going for the Strin 460 and put the largest engine it can take on it as they are heavy boats. imo the space 440 is too small, there doesn't seem to be a lot of floor space, but thats just me, each to their own.

The Motocraft is a fine boat too, I was considering buying one myself before I bought my current boat, a Redfinn 5000 which would be in the same category as a Motocraft Angler 470. The only issue I have with boats like these (same with the Sylvan Sports Troller) is that when on plane, only the last meter or so of the boat is in the water. This makes it very bumpy in the seat up the front on a rough day! The larger boat like the Tangiri and Brema sit differently on the water, and aren't as bumpy.

I fished the King of the Lake competition on Lough Ree a few weeks ago, there were a few Tangiri Trion boats there. Lovely boats to put it mildly!

Thanks twin_beacon. I can afford it, but justifying it is another thing, I don't have it lying around as they say. Like you're looking at north of 20k by the time it's fitted out. That's into guiding territory in my opinion, but I suppose it'll hold its value fairly well if I decide I've gone overboard in a few years. I'd also be concerned with how difficult it is to launch and retrieve at 400 kg with outboard.

Those Trions are beauts alright. Go anywhere any weather really. Is your Redfinn a console or tiller? Some weight nearer the bow might help with the ride in the rough?

It shouldn't be that hard to load, it would probably be on a bunk trailer, so you'd be driving it onto the bunks. Yea I know what you mean, its a log of money, but they should hold the value well.

Mine is a tiller, I think its just the way the boat planes in the water, fully loaded with a angler in the front seat, bow mount and battery its bumpy up front. Its only an issue in really rough days

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of some boatbuilders that would repair the timber seats, and keel on an Arrow boat. Anywhere near Roscommon?

Thanks

Bibio

Hi, If you are in North Roscommon, you wouldn't be that far from Arrow boats. If you are more to the south of the county, around the Athlone area you have John Joe Quigley, or William Ganley. I have William's phone number if you want me to pm it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jake742

Can anyone give me a definite ID what type of boat this is. Its timbers got refurbished recently. Front tank, no rear tank, flat floor apart from rear bilge area. I know it's not a sheelin, burkes have rear tanks. I'd love to know for my own sanity. Thanks

Post edited by Jake742 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Could be anything really, just looks like a generic lake boat, although it's very tidy looking.

Nice ship.

Advertisement