Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I went for the third option, money was always gone as far as I was concerned. Prefer to see it going to supporting the branch through this.

Leinster's best NIQ XXIII?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Saracens refund came through today.

Nice to get it back so handily given the grief on any other refunds these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jersey Puller

Owen Finnegan’s brief stint worth a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster have posted their top 5 cross field kick trys. Basically the Ross Byrne show. I love it.

https://youtu.be/abVo_J6cwsE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster's best NIQ XXIII?

That's pretty tough, especially the back row....

VDM Strauss Bent
    Fardy Hines
    Jowitt Auva'a Elsom

Whitaker Gopperth
    Contenpomi Te'o
    Lowe Nacewa Tomane

Dundon, OLR, Wright, Triggs, ???, JGP, Berne, Kirchner

Cant think of a 4th back row tbh. Fardy could move to 6 with Truggs coming into the starting XV and Jowitt dropping to the bench. There are a bunch of 2nd rows that I can think of, none of whom though really stood out over the other. Douglas or Sykes would be the best of them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Brad thorns reign as leinster King was quickly forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Brad thorns reign as leinster King was quickly forgotten

A few weeks ago there was argument that he wasn’t around long enough to be a legend now he’s being blanked. We’re so fickle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

salmocab wrote: »
    A few weeks ago there was argument that he wasn’t around long enough to be a legend now he’s being blanked. We’re so fickle

Not as fickle as molloyjh including capped Irish internationals in his NIQ XXIII...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Was young enough so maybe I’m remembering wrong but I’d pick David Holwell over Gopperth if contepomi is playing 12. Spooner was alright too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Was young enough so maybe I’m remembering wrong but I’d pick David Holwell over Gopperth if contepomi is playing 12. Spooner was alright too

Correct re Holwell. Terrific player, very underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

VDM
    OLR
    Wright
    Hines
    Thorn
    Fardy
    Elsom
    Finegan
    Whitaker
    Gopperth
    Nacewa
    Contepomi
    Te'o
    Tomane
    Kirchner

Vermaas
    Van der Linde
    Green
    Douglas
    Jowitt
    Holwell
    Goodman
    Tuqiri

Best I can do if excluding guys who qualified on residency.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I 100% agree on David Holwell. He was an excellent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hippo wrote: »
    Correct re Holwell. Terrific player, very underrated.

Not sure if he's underrated at all by Leinster fans, to be honest. We all thought the sun shone out of his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No Hekenui lads?

Or Finegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Not sure if he's underrated at all by Leinster fans, to be honest. We all thought the sun shone out of his arse.

He also rose again on the third year to deliver us from the perils of injury

Not as fickle as molloyjh including capped Irish internationals in his NIQ XXIII...

Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Clegg wrote: »
    Leinster have posted their top 5 cross field kick trys. Basically the Ross Byrne show. I love it.

https://youtu.be/abVo_J6cwsE

I don’t. Basically it was a tactic the England rugby union team started using in early 2000’s with Johnny Wilkinson. It was then a rugby league tactic imported into Union and made widespread after Ben Cohen And Dan Luger scored a few tries off it. I seem to remember it first being used on the Lions around that time also. Always hated the tactic for that reason.

The kids that employ it nowadays are akin to showing off to their fathers how good they are without really having any conscience Or rugby knowledge about how it came about and what it represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Granny15 wrote: »
    I don’t. Basically it was a tactic the England rugby union team started using in early 2000’s with Johnny Wilkinson. It was then a rugby league tactic imported into Union and made widespread after Ben Cohen And Dan Luger scored a few tries off it. I seem to remember it first being used on the Lions around that time also. Always hated the tactic for that reason.

The kids that employ it nowadays are akin to showing off to their fathers how good they are without really having any conscience Or rugby knowledge about how it came about and what it represents.

The cross field kick is an additional attacking ploy which for example a 10 can use to exploit space out wide or in order to get by a defence, defences dominate the game nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What are you talking about?

So because it was used by league it shouldnt be used in Union???? or because it was used by English?

When executed correctly it is very effective tactic. Ross Byrne one of the best in World at it as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The curse of the cross field kick was actually invented in Clongowes, when they accidentally watched some gaelic football one day and were infected by it. They then decided to test it out in rugby league and sent over some shadowy figures to teach them how to do it, through jesuit links in Manchester. Years later it was introduced into rugby union by the back door, by bringing it in through the English premiership where they have no morals anyway. It's one of the more shameful parts of rugby's history. Most people don't even know this, because they have absolutely no appreciation for the history of the game

The curse of the cross field kick was actually invented in Clongowes, when they accidentally watched some gaelic football one day and were infected by it. They then decided to test it out in rugby league and sent over some shadowy figures to teach them how to do it, through jesuit links in Manchester. Years later it was introduced into rugby union by the back door, by bringing it in through the English premiership where they have no morals anyway. It's one of the more shameful parts of rugby's history. Most people don't even know this, because they have absolutely no appreciation for the history of the game

Tell that to Gerry Adams and he’d probably agree. The Redmondites Haven’t gone away you know.

I WaNt mY GaMe bAcK!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Jeeeesus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It was widely used in the 1980s by the Aussies too. They scored a try v. Ireland in the 84 tour with it. A guy called Moon if I remember correctly.

jacothelad wrote: »
    It was widely used in the 1980s by the Aussies too. They scored a try v. Ireland in the 84 tour with it. A guy called Moon if I remember correctly.

I wouldn’t say it was “ widely used” at all then. I only ever saw the Aussies playing in northern hemisphere in the 80’s and World Cup and never saw it used by them. I would hasten to say they only used it”once in a blue “moon”!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I wouldn’t say it was “ widely used” at all then. I only ever saw the Aussies playing in northern hemisphere in the 80’s and World Cup and never saw it used by them. I would hasten to say they only used it”once in a blue “moon”!

I think it was Gemma who invented it, along with 5g

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Turns out I was doubling up on my Leinster attire on the weekend. I was wearing a Leinster T Shirt and a hat!

No one said anything, prob cos of how awesome I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Turns out I was doubling up on my Leinster attire on the weekend. I was wearing a Leinster T Shirt and a hat!

No one said anything, prob cos of how awesome I looked.

It’s how people know your better than them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

For any season ticket holders who bought tickets for the Saracens match, have you heard anything about refunds? I haven't heard anything, but friends who bought via the public sale have got confirmation that they are getting refunds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement